Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't blink ...

Sheena Guest

Default Don't blink ...

... or you'll miss this. But in this collage of Crufts 1965, after some footage of a woman giving a chihuahua in a cage some water in a cup, there is a shot of a woman in a fur coat leading a blenheim Cavalier through some caging ...

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=71347

That was fun to watch. It's about 4:20 into the film. I loved seeing all the Afghans, that was my first breed (a pet).

I liked that too.

What dogs were in cages when the woman with a cavalier was passing by? It looked to me like cavaliers as well.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by eJoanna View Post
    I liked that too.

What dogs were in cages when the woman with a cavalier was passing by? It looked to me like cavaliers as well.

I think you're right-- I think I can see a tri and a blen-- the blen on the floor seems to look up right at the two.
    Sandy Liston
    WoodHaven Cavaliers

Is that you in the fur coat Sheena?!
    ....¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ „ø¤º°¨
    ¨°º¤ø„¸ Dylan, Poppy's & Kipling's¸„ø¤º°¨
    ¸„ø¤º°¨''' ¤ø' " Mummy`` "*'¨°º¤ø„¸
    ,¸„ø¤º°¨'*"¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ "*'¨°º¤ø„¸

Great link Sheena, and a lovely happy cavalier. Such a shame we couldn't identify it - I have the catalogue for the show but not a chance of working it out, there aren't any clues, not even a face ....... unless someone recognises the fur coat!

Ruth

Could it be Amice Pitt? It's quite a distinctive walk. Norma

Going to dog shows in a Fur! And I bet it wasn't faux!

Sheena Guest

Well, did Mrs Pitt keep pugs as well by any chance? because at 1.34.6 on this one (1953) below there's someone who looks v. evocative, sitting with a pug on her knee ... there are numbers on the cages in the other one, but I can't read them ... and Ruth even has a catalogue!

There are LOADS of fur coats at dog shows in these old films, I can't get over it ... although I suppose it might be a good way of disguising dog hairs on clothes ...

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=65395

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena View Post

There are LOADS of fur coats at dog shows in these old films, I can't get over it ... although I suppose it might be a good way of disguising dog hairs on clothes ...

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=65395
    Weren't fur coats a status symbol in the 50s and 60s? I remember my ex giving me a beaver lamb coat for Christmas 1960. I was so determined to show it off that I took the baby out in the pram to the shopping centre first thing one morning to see hubby off to work on the bus. These coats cost about a month's wages in those days and were THE thing to wear.

I think many thought pedigree dogs were a status symbol in those days too and were priced well beyond the average working man's means.. Therefore it seems to me that the fur coats and the pedigree dogs fitted into the well heeled snob category of the time.

Must say how glad I am that things changed a lot since then.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Saw it too. I really enjoyed the clip. Thanks Sheena.