Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Low Cost MRI Schemes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julieb7 View Post
    After just over a two week wait... the results have arrived!

A mixed bag to be honest.

Bertie (Tri) was given a C grade with a Chiara malformation but no SM present. Have been advised to re-scan Bertie when he is two and a half years old.

Jake (blen) however has been graded E. Chiara malformation with SM present C1 - C5 max width 6mm dilatation. We have now got the medication he needs for quality of life........ We had not noticed any of the symptoms of SM present in Jake. Just goes to show, you never know whats going on in the inside. Poor bairn, he's not two until the 24th July. We are so pleased to have had the mri done, because we would not have realised and any problems could have gone "un-noticed" until he was in pain....

Just hope the medication works for him.It's all a bit of a blur at the moment.. It will sink in soon.

Julie
    Julie

I am so very sorry to hear about your problems, especially Jake, but so glad that you are sharing your results with the rest of us.

I haven't had the written certificates from Chestergates yet, but have been told by a member of staff that Rebel has similar problems to Jake. He too is asymptomatic. I thought that asymptomatic meant not only that there is an absence of symptoms but that treatment was not needed until symptoms actually appear.

In this situation should I be asking my vet for treatment now rather than perhaps later?
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Jake is our first ever dog. Thinking back there might have small signs of the problem i.e. wouldn't step down, a little "yip" when excited. I have since read that these "signs" could point to SM, but with never owning a dog before we just didnt "notice" enough.

It just had to happen to him... the nicest natured dog we have ever come accross.

A steep learning curve for us!

Julie

Margaret C Guest

I am so sorry that Jake has SM.

At least you will now recognise any signs of discomfort and be able to make sure he is kept pain free.

I don't know if you have already told Jake's breeder of this result? It is important that breeders know the problems in the cavaliers they produce, so they can take steps to avoid repeating them.

I know it is unpleasant to give people bad news, but we owe it to our affected dogs to do so.

Yes, I let the breeder know the full results before I posted them on the forum. I am giving them a copy of the full results.

Julie

As I’ve been on line, an e-mail has just popped up. It’s from the French Cavalier club. The committee has been working with veterinary colleges, including a few neurologists who have worked with Clare Rusbridge, to decide a plan of action concerning SM.

We have a SUPER offer. The club is going to contribute a fair amount financially towards this.

Several breeders have been offered the chance to have their dogs MRI scanned for a reasonable price, including anaesthetic, at the Veterinary College at Nantes. Prior to this, the cost was pretty well prohibitive, like half a month’s pension.
    Maximum five dogs per breeder, and I’m not quite sure how many breeders have been invited. The circulation list on my e-mail only included those if us who have signed the charte de qualité. The tests will take place over January and February, to a timetable hopefully agreeable to everyone.
    There was a little reminder that we would have to pay for our own journeys and hotel accommodation Nantes being a fair old distance from many of us.
    Jane

Terrific news Jane! So glad for you and the other French breeders.
    Elspeth

I was so pleased to read this mail that I didn't mention the most important thing of all: this is that the Veterinary College at Nantes is commencing research into the disease. It won't be entirely independent of other studies, but I do know that one neurologist has issues with some theories.
    We have been asked, if possible, to bring dogs of similar parentage and different ages, and the age group is between three and nine years. We have also been asked to send the pedigrees immediately, and I think the aim, in the first place, is to study different "families"

The invitation ends with the note that although SM doesn’t seem to be particularly well known in France, nor was it in the UK until comparatively recently

As an aside, the veterinary student Aurélie Zyngfogel, who sent me a questionnaire about breeding Cavaliers, is at Nantes, so possibly students there are carrying out a more in-depth study of the breed. After I’d completed her questionnaire, I received it forwarded from a friend of mine who’s a committee member of the Cavalier club here. She asked that I complete it to help gather as much data as possible. She was pleased when I told her I had already, but also asked me to send it to as many other breeders as I could.
    Jane

Default scans

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    I had Ben scanned in December 2006 and my vet and I rang a number of places that were offering low cost MRI scans and not one of them would do the low cost scan as he was already showing clinical symptoms. We had him scanned at Chestergates and the cost of his scan was just short of £1200 with a follow-up scan two months later of just under £250.
    I had another dog scanned at the same time who was not showing any signs and the cost was also just under £250.
    The cost was approx £250 if you approached them individually, but if you are lucky enough to get on one of the schemes offered by the Cavalier Clubs it is much cheaper.
    is there any cheap scans coming up anywhere