View Poll Results: Did you find this article of interest?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

5 71.43%
  • Partially

2 28.57%
  • No

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Car travel harness

Default Harness and lead

My friend brought her Jasper a Pets at Home car harness and found he was pushed towards the gear stick all the time For his trip home, we threaded his lead through the head rest bars and threaded the seat belt through the lead's handle to secure the lead. Problem with this is that he could still swing forward in an accident.

I had to take Alfie out this morning, so threaded the lead behind the chest part of the seatbelt as well as through the headrest, and then feed the leads clip through the leads handle before clipping it on to the harness.

I think the solution is either
    to have a lead long enough so that you can feed the lead between the seat squab and seat back (if possible on your car), up the back of the seat, out through the gap in the headrest bars and then feed the lead's clip through the lead's own handle before clipping it on to the harness
    Or
    With the seat belt strapped tightly across the empty seat - to have a lead long enough to go behind the lap part of the seat belt, run up the centre of the seat and around the headrest bar on the door side - and then feed the lead's clip through the lead's own handle before clipping it on to the harness.

Either of these should allow the dog to stay in the middle and be able to sit up or lay down with ease whilst the forward travel in an accident would be limited by the lap part of the belt and the headrest bars.

The lead shouldn’t be so long as to allow the dog to fall off the seat or be swung in to the dashboard in an accident

I still use Alfie’s 1-meter long puppy lead, and guess that I need a slightly longer one for this to work properly.
    Last edited by Mark Ellis; 04-30-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Mark, have you thought of using a small crate on the back seat of the car? at least in that dogs can lay down and sleep and rest. I don't like the look of all those leads hanging round through this and that etc...and if you had to brake hard I think there is still a good chance your dog would could be thrown around or would hit the side door... just a thought

3. Default

Mark i got an harness and a clip, you know we talked about the harnesses and how you feed the seat belt through the loop it pulls the dog downwards (on another thread) well on ebay a chap sells a clip with attaches on to the large metal d ring at the back and has two metal clips that fits 90% of cars either one or the other. (I think its some models of volvos it wont fit, and he will tell you that.) Let me know if want his details and they are about £3. di

Biggest problem that I have with a crate Alison is that Alfie would look just awful behind bars
    I feel that a crate still needs to be strapped in and the dog can still be thrown around in the crate during a roll over.
    When we went to the vets this morning with Alfie sat on the front seat, he was anxious because of his condition and not because of being in the car, like on previous journeys. You could see that he wanted to sit on my lap, but by his being on the front seat I was able to occasionally stroke his chin whilst concentrating on the road.
    After having had his bum squeezed by the vet, he happily looked out of the windscreen and enjoyed the trip home.

Your previous post is on page one of this thread Di. Do you mean these clips?

I’ve never seen them before today and they look good, and note that some are only £1 - but how do you stop little fur monster from sitting on your lap? Although feeding it through the gap in the seat base would help I suppose.

They would work great on the centre of the back seat though wouldn’t they, or would they?

I’ll have to do some more research when time permits as I feel that it really needs to hold the dog in the centre when used on the front seat.

Mark,

I have RAC dog harnesses and can heartily guarantee them. Maxx sits on the fornt passenger seat on his 'special' (non slip) cushion & provided you do the harness up on the body tight enough then there is no risk of them going flying.

I have airbags in the front of my car & I can turn off the passenger one - handbook suggests it be turned off in cases of baby seats or harnessed dogs so we do that.

A few times I have had to brake sharply (and I am not a fast driver) usually when some idiot has pulled out in front of me or something & Maxx has moved slightly on his seat but nothing to worry about - in fact he usually just huffs loudly as if to say 'stupid person' & of course I explain to him what has happened as he understands every word LOL.

http://www.racshop.co.uk/categories/...egory_id/racpe

The harness is made out of seat belt material and there is a loop on the back for the seatbelt to pass through. There are also 2 D rings in case you want to use it as a walking harness. We use ours just in the car as I walk Maxx on a puppia harness.

I just feel that being made for the RAC they have to be one of the safest harnesses out. I have also transported two extremely lively rescue springer spaniels using the harnesses and whilst I was awaiting a breakout at any moment, the harnesses held them tightly secured - the seatbelt does of course give them a bit of movement to sit or stand up but they can't actually 'go anywhere'.
    x Donna, Maxx & Sweep x

Red face Part 1

Now then – promise not to laugh at these photo’s of my dog. I only put the t-shirt on because a picture paints a thousand words.

From your description Donna, one will probably find that the Halfords one http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165716

is the same as the RAC one http://www.racshop.co.uk/products/na...ct_id/racpa002

I think that if the dog stays sat up and facing forward then they are probably fine. But Alfie is still new to the harness and, probably like most dogs, likes to lay down facing towards me. There is also the problem that the seat squab in my 206 is not long enough for Alfie to lay on when facing forward.

Please see part 2

Default Part 2

The problem that Di and I have is that because the whole seat belt has to go through the harness’s loop, then the angle of the seat belt pushes the dog towards the driver.

and if the dog wishes to lay down whilst laying across the car, then the harness twists on the dog and traps the right leg.

I’ve already emailed a couple of seat belt manufacturers to see what they can come up with.
    One option is to have the clip strap that Di talks about, but have one at the other side as well, to secure the dog in both direction at the bottom corners of the seat.

But I’m still considering Nicki’s seat as well.
    Last edited by Mark Ellis; 05-01-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo

I see your point. My son has a 306 and the seats are a bit 'tight'. Get yourself a Nissan! Maxx has been fine in all of mine . He'd really like to ride 'up front' in Daddy's Jag but Daddy does an Amy winehouse impression and says 'No, no, no!'

Daddy is away next week and Mummy and Maxx were planning on going out for a jaunt to christen it but he's now letting his friend use it instead .

Darn it - foiled again!

PS. Love Alfie's t-shirt
    x Donna, Maxx & Sweep x

I really don't like to take a dog in the car unless it is in a cage. You never know! I live in a quiet country area, but there have been several road deaths locally in the 12 years we've been here. Often it's the fault of another driver, and you never know what might be coming round the next bend towards you.

I have a crate almost permanently in the car, a Ferplast plastic one, which has a reasonable amount of flexibility. A friend of mine rolled his Renault 19 about three times. He had the back seat down and his Dobermann in a cage in the car. She had a few bruises but no broken bones or even lacerations: the cage was a mess, but even if she'd been in a harness, she would have been extremely likely to have broken a leg or something. He had more injuries, including bruised ribs from the seat belt. Here’s the theory: in the cage, she didn’t have far to go before she was up against the wire which, being mesh, is slightly flexible, so it’s not like hitting a rigid surface.

I am trying to imagine how a dog in a harness would be suspended if a car rolled.

Cages aren’t foolproof: some years ago an exhibitor travelling home from Crufts in a large van was struck by another vehicle. One f his cages opened, don’t know how, and sadly a champion Standard Poodle ran out when the doors were opened and was killed by another vehicle. .

My neighbour doesn’t like me leaving collars and leads on the dogs when they are in the cages: I say if there is an accident, that does allow someone to handle them. He reckons they could strangle themselves. He does have a big breed, and had custom made wooden crates for his car.

I have a wire cage for shows, and those lightweight ones for use in hotel rooms!

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    I am trying to imagine how a dog in a harness would be suspended if a car rolled.
    I know where you’re coming from Jane but there are so many what ifs in life, and I’m talking about harnessing a single little cavalier.
    Let me assure you that if I had multiple dogs, or large dogs, then a cage would be ratchet strapped to the back seat

It’s rare that we go out in the car. My green space is outside my door and it’s a cul-de-sac with no through traffic, albeit a cul-de-sac of 500 homes.
    I’ve spent a fair chunk of my life transporting all sorts of stuff from ammunition to a spitfire propeller and from paving slabs to roof trusses all over mainland UK (tiny titbit for Mark & Kelly there) and whilst I’ve seen a lot of accidents, I’ve only ever seen a few rollovers.

In a rollover with these harnesses – where the car lands on its roof, the dog would be suspended right way up by the harness and – subject to how the harness is fixed - have its feet on the roofliner.
    How do you stop the cage bouncing around in a rollover, and how do you stop parts of the cage bending and puncturing said animal?
    You see these people who put the dog in the boot with a dog guard at the back seat, and in a rollover the dogs legs could get snapped in the guard. In a rear shunt the dog would be bounced out of the rear window and a cage in the boot would be crushed

Worst rollover I ever saw was some idiot in a Reliant Robin on the M6. Decided that the car was going to roll, so let go of the wheel and hugged his wife. Fibreglass everywhere