Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EBV's (Estimated Breeding Values)

bet hargreaves Guest

Default EBV's

Could I just ask what will the benefit of the Cheek Swabs be ,if there is no Positive Idenfication of the Cavalier in question?

Anybody can send a Cheek Swab ,OK with a Pedigree ,but it could be for a different Cavalier.

I thought the whole purpose of Dr Blott's Research was that it had to accurate ,how can it be ,if there is no definate proof that the Cheek Swabs are genuine .

Could it not be a waste of time?

Bet Hargreaves

I think, like anything, there is room for someone to cheat. I actually watched a person once at a heart clinic walk a dog out of the clinic, walk around the auditorium and walk the same dog back into the clinic and have the heart done again. Maybe she just wanted to be sure?? Since then my wife has lobbied off and on for requiring microchipping for the heart clearances. I guess all we can do is say it's a good start and hope that people will be honest about the cheek swabs.

BTW, do I ever envy you on your side of the pond after seeing what you are paying for MRI's.
    Bruce H
    MysticKnight Cavaliers
    AKC Breeder of Merit

hi, I can't see any benefit in people cheating, firstly with DNA the cheating would be found out as happened in the US not very long ago and secondly, there's no obligation to submit results at the moment whether they be good or bad. I'm not naive enough to believe someone won't try to buck the system especially if results have to be made public, that's what makes confidentiality essential. Bruce I would swap our MRI prices for your fuel costs

Linda - the cardiologists are meeting again at the end of October and I believe the neurologist have another meeting in November

Bet the CKCS club is encouraging members to microchip their dogs and whilst the KC does not it themselves - they will continue the requirement if and when they take over any scheme started by the clubs

Sheena I think Linda or anyone else at the liaison meeting might be able to enlighten what Sarah said about the EBV programme

bet hargreaves Guest

Default EBV's

Sorry Folks ,if you thought I was Nit Picking about Dr Blott's Research ,but I was at a Show for a wee while at Lanark yesterday,which is near us ,and the Micro-Chipping and Pedigrees came into the conversation

This got me thinking,also I started to wonder ,when Cavalier Owners get their Cavaliers MRI Scanned ,do the Scans belong to them and they then can forward them to Dr Blott .

Do the other Neurologists take Cheek Swabs

I think I am beginning to understand a wee bit more about the New Type of Research ,I had'nt realized that Dr Blioo would also be searching for Potential Mutant Genes for MVD and SM ,I think that she can get this information from the Cheek Swabs ,am I right in thinking this/

So is her Research a Two Pronged attack on both SM and MVD ,with the EBV's ,and finding the Faulty Genes ,is that right?

Bet Hargreaves

Default Swabs

Hi Linda/Annette,

Can anybody submit a swab ? Would it be possible to have some sent out to New Zealand for UK club members to take part in at least the MVD study.

Mark and Kelly Guest

Wink Mouth swabs

If you fail to locate any in NZ get back to me and I will send you some. They are no more than the Police OR Hospitals use on Humans so there WILL be some in you own Country.

Good luck for now, Mark. England 01626 852943

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Darilance View Post
    Hi Linda/Annette,

Can anybody submit a swab ? Would it be possible to have some sent out to New Zealand for UK club members to take part in at least the MVD study.
    Hi Jan,

I shall be speaking Sarah this week, so I will ask her and get back to you.

Linda
    Linjato CKCS & Japanese Chins