Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EBV's (Estimated Breeding Values)

Default Swabs

Thanks Linda, much appreciated.

Bet

Have heard the AHT presentation given by Sarah Blott and her team this afternoon (Over 100 present).

Dr Blott is developing a program to use the submitted results of MRI scans and MVD test results. She is not looking to identify the genes. My understanding is that SM genes are being searched for in Montreal, Canada
    and MVD genes are being sought in Denmark. The genes for SM and MVD are not yet identified although there are some areas identified as "possible" for SM genes but we are probably a year or so away from this happening. As to identifying MVD genes I do not know.

The cheek swabs are available to anyone by emailing Lisa Jeffery at the Animal Health Trust on lisa.jeffery@aht.org.uk however they have a waiting list of several hundred.....

Owners do the cheek swabs...looking at the instructions fairly straightforward, but they need to be returned asap after taking swabs using first class mail, complete with testing information to help research that is available about each individual dog. I do not know how this would work for overseas dogs?

I have some DNA swab kits that I will be bringing to the Cavalier Open Show at Knutsford on 22 Nov. Probably not enough to go around!

My understanding at this point is that Sarah Blott needs MRI and Heart test results, the swabs are not at this point so useful as the genes are not yet identified.

Hope this clarifies the issue.
    Maggie

bet hargreaves Guest

Default EBV's (Estimated Breeding Values)

I don't know what to make of Maggie's Post about yesterday's Lecture for the Southern CKCS CLUB by Dr S Blott, saying the Faulty Gene or Genes for SM will be found by the Geneticists at Montreal.

In the recent Cavalier Health Update Report by Dr Jeff Sampson ,he mentioned that Dr Blott was searching for potential Mutant Genes involved in SM.

Bet Hargreaves

Bet

Read the letter on the CKCS Club website from the AHT about the 'Health Breeding Programme', this explains what Sarah Blotts department are doing, and hope to do in the future.

Hope this helps clarify for you.
    Maggie

bet hargreaves Guest

Default EBV'sEstimated Breeding Values

Because the mention I made about Dr Blott searching for potential Genes for SM was made by Dr J Sampson in his Health Report to the CKCS Club ,I have contacted him ,just to see what he meant .

Bet Hargreaves

Hi Linda,

Would tests from dogs in other countries be any use? I have now had four of mine gentetically identified, and have their heart test results. The oldest is seven, the youngest two, but all have some links to British dogs. The youngest is by a Swedish dog with british ancestry who was heart clear (by aescultation) at age ten. The heart tests are different as they are done by scanner, and a grade one in France is generally not actually audible! However, I have copies of the echographs.
    None have had MRI scans.

Jane
    France

bet hargreaves Guest

Default EBV's Estimated Breeding Values

Maggie,

Could I ask you ,since you mentioned about being at Dr Blott's Lecture on Sunday ,did she mention about SM being in other Small Breeds.?

Also I got word from Dr Sampson ,yes Dr Blott is working with the Research work in Montreal .

Bet Hargreaves.

Bet

I don't recall Tom Lewis who gave the presentation ( one of Sarah's team ) talking specifically about SM or MVD at all. They were clear to say that they are NOT vets. They were presenting about the Estimated Breeding Value Programme that they are developing for breeders to use as a potential mate selection process.

Maggie

Default EBV's Swabs from Animal Health Trust

Hi everyone
    I too wrote to Lisa Jeffreys and have 100 swabs for distribution. I will be taking them to the Northern Cavalier Open Show tomorrow, to be held at Blackburn Hall, Commercial Street, Rothwell, Leeds.
    Lorraine Gillhespy

bet hargreaves Guest

Default Estimated Breeding Values

I had'nt realized that EBV's were really used for getting better Milk Yield for Cows,getting better Beef value for Bulls, Better Fat Content for Pigs and Sheep.

Now I can understand why it's being described as New Type Research for our Cavaliers .

I sure hope it works .

Bet Hargreaves