Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Books

Default Dog Books

I've just been checking out all the books that we have on our book shelves. Our computer room/study resembles a library with all the shelves stacked full of books. I've actually counted up one hundred and three books about dogs, and that does not include club year books going back to the mid seventies. If I were to name what I consider to be the six most important dog books in our collection they would be:

"Dogs and How to Breed Them" by Hilary Harmer
    "The Book of The Bitch" by J. Evans and K. White
    "Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in Fact and Fancy" by Barbara Garnett-Wilson
    "Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, a Tribute in Art" by Roy and Barbara Garnett-Wilson
    "Dog Owners' Home Veterinary Handbook" by Carlson & Griffin
    (Although published in 1980 it is a valuable handbook that goes into great depth but with out being too academic. I wish that it could be updated)
    "Nursing and Rearing Newborn Puppies" by Betty Bloomfield.
    (Only a thin paperback but nevertheless a mine of information that is not covered in other books)

What do other people think are great dog books?
    Dennis

Default Dog Books

My favourites are:
    " Reaching for the Stars" by Mary Roslin Williams

"Born to Win" by Patricia Craige.
    Although neither of these is Cavalier orientated, they are well worth a read for anyone interested in dog breeding.

I like your choice too Dennis but have only read 3 of the 5.
    Elspeth

Quote Originally Posted by Leogem View Post
    I've just been checking out all the books that we have on our book shelves. Our computer room/study resembles a library with all the shelves stacked full of books. I've actually counted up one hundred and three books about dogs, and that does not include club year books going back to the mid seventies.
    I'm on my way for a night out Dennis, but couldn't resist this one. I'm also a bit of a bookworm, and of course have all my much treasured Year Books. My office has bookshelves floor to ceiling on 3 of the 4 walls, and they are packed with all my dog books, but I've never thought to count them all. Maybe that's something I'll have to do on a rainy day

My list is long, but I'll try and stick with just the 6

Hillary Harmer : "Dogs and How to Breed Them"
    Phyllis Holst's: " Canine Reproduction a Breeders Guide"
    Trevor Turner's: " Veterinary Notes for Dog Owners".
    Both of " Barbara Garnett Wilson's" books... Ok ...I'm cheating... class that as two for the price of one
    Volhard & Brown's : "The Holistic Guide For Healthy Dogs"
    Boericke's : "Homeopathic Materia Medica with Repertory" The hardback version with over 1,050 pages.
    and I know I've already cheated by naming both of Barbara's beautiful books...but I have to add one more, and that is :
    Carol Lea Benjamin's fantastic book,: " Mother knows Best .. the natural way".

It’s really hard to stop there, because so many books have guided me over the years and I’d be lost without them. They of course include my Evans and White's "The Book of The Bitch" and Betty Bloomfield's, "Nursing and Rearing Newborn Puppies"... plus the terrific book written by Claudia Waller Orlandi: " ABC's of Dog Breeding, what every breeder should know", which covers genetics, heterosis, (hybrid vigor), and so much more...but now I'm really cheating so I'd better go and get ready...

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica Hull; 10-22-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Blog Entries

I am another collector of dog books, but definitely not on the scale of Dennis and Veronica, although I have most of those you mention.

Another golden oldie book is my favourite of them all, Evelyn Booth's 'All About the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel'.

I also like the glossary of herbs in John Evans' book.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Smile Books, books and more books.......

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    Another golden oldie book is my favourite of them all, Evelyn Booth's 'All About the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel'.
    Flo....I second the motion.....this is the book which I always recommend to newbies, be they pet owners or aspiring breeders Not all that easy to get here in Oz these days, but always worth the effort

All the others mentioned are wonderful, but most especially the Hilary Harmar

Guess I should 'audit' my own collection one day
    Jenny at Erinport
    Where Excellence Without Exaggeration Counts

What a great idea to share tiltles of the books that you consider valuable!

I am still at the begining so my favorite books so far have been on cavaliers.
    "Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Today (Book of the Breed)" - Sheila Smith
    "The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel" - Bruce Field
    "Cavalier King Charles Spaniels: An Owner's Companion" - John Evans

I also like:
    "Take Them Round Please: Art of Judging Dogs" - Tom Horner (it helps me to understand what judges judge on)
    "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" - Clarice Rutherford, David H. Neil
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post

I also like the glossary of herbs in John Evans' book.
    Yep..... I have them both Flo..... in fact I have two copies of Evelyn's book, (she was affectionately known to us all as Janie by the way)..... and the reason I purchased two of those books is that my first homebred Champion's sire is on the front cover, so one copy is handled, while the other is treasured as a keepsake. The dog of course is the very lovely 'Dunhelm The Admiral' who I used when he was 9 years old. I'd judged him as a veteran and loved him, so asked and was given permission to use him for stud.

John's book is very useful.... and I love the grooming tips he included.

Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by eJoanna View Post
    I am still at the begining so my favorite books so far have been on cavaliers.
    "Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Today (Book of the Breed)" - Sheila Smith
    "The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel" - Bruce Field
    "Cavalier King Charles Spaniels: An Owner's Companion" - John Evans
    I also like:
    "Take Them Round Please: Art of Judging Dogs" - Tom Horner (it helps me to understand what judges judge on)
    "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" - Clarice Rutherford, David H. Neil
    I have all but the last one Joanna..... For personal reasons I treasure Bruce Field's book because it has several photo's of my Champion Cavaliers in it.... so needless to say I have two copies.

Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    Yep..... I have them both Flo..... in fact I have two copies of Evelyn's book, (she was affectionately known to us all as Janie by the way)..... and the reason I purchased two of those books is that my first homebred Champion's sire is on the front cover, so one copy is handled, while the other is treasured as a keepsake. The dog of course is the very lovely 'Dunhelm The Admiral' who I used when he was 9 years old. I'd judged him as a veteran and loved him, so asked and was given permission to use him for stud.

Veronica
    That is a great book, after reading your post I've just taken our copy off the shelf and have been browsing through it. We've got a signed copy and it seems hard to believe that the book was published twenty seven years ago. In the chapter on showing there are several pictures taken at the 1983 Southern CKCS Club Championship Show. I clearly remember that show at Sandown Park. The photo of the final line up on page 151 shows Pam Rooney with Highcurley Phizz, Sheelagh Allerton with Deeriem Moonclover and the judges Peggy Talbot and Michael Quinney all looking quite youthful! That was the second champ show held by the Southern Club. I recall at the first show the previous year the talk around the show ring was about the news that Argentina had just invaded the Falklands!
    Dennis

Default Old times, Good times

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post

Veronica
    Ah, The Admiral - that was some dog
    Jenny at Erinport
    Where Excellence Without Exaggeration Counts