Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Books

Quote Originally Posted by Leogem View Post
    In the chapter on showing there are several pictures taken at the 1983 Southern CKCS Club Championship Show. I clearly remember that show at Sandown Park. The photo of the final line up on page 151 shows Pam Rooney with Highcurley Phizz, Sheelagh Allerton with Deeriem Moonclover and the judges Peggy Talbot and Michael Quinney all looking quite youthful!
    Sorry to digress... but I remember that show in 1983 very well, and for all the wrong reasons. Peggy who as we know was quite a formidable lady had been presented with a beautiful corsage of orchids to wear on her cardigan for her special day in the centre of the ring. My puppy bitch was a wriggler on the examination table, so I was very focused on keeping her standing four square for the judge to assess. I suddenly heard Peggy say, " oh, you naughty girl" and when I looked at my babies face all I could see was strips of orchid hanging from her mouth where she'd obviously chomped on the corsage as the judge examined her .
    Those of you who know me well will be aware I'm a compulsive giggler, and this just creased me up... but sadly Peggy 'was not amused'. Needless to say my puppy was not rewarded for her bad behaviour, but she had a whale of a time and so did I

Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    I have all but the last one Joanna..... For personal reasons I treasure Bruce Field's book because it has several photo's of my Champion Cavaliers in it.... so needless to say I have two copies.
    I found those pictures: Ch. Telvara Karbon Kopy, Ch. Telvara Top Hat and Ch. Telvara Kasanova

Ch. Telvara Karbon Kopy is one of my Zoe's ancestors
    Last edited by eJoanna; 10-24-2010 at 11:55 PM.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

One more book that I found very interesting:

"The other end of the leash" - Patricia B. McConell Ph. D - it is on the dog psychology.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    Sorry to digress... but I remember that show in 1983 very well, and for all the wrong reasons. Veronica
    Me too, because I had gone up to London from my then home in Cornwall because Daniel Barenboim was giving a recital at the Albert Hall, the centrepiece of which was my beloved Hammerklavier Sonata.

Somebody who got the train later than me said that the invasion had taken place and I was worried that the recital would be cancelled at the last minute, because Barenboim was born in Argentina, although subsequently an Israeli citizen.

My fears were unfounded, the recital was so amazing. It went to show that the beauty of great music, well played transcended the hostilities that were taking place elsewhere. The power of music indeed.

I was walking on air afterwards, so detached from the hazards of normal London life that I walked all the way from the RAH to my friends' home in Chiswick, arriving at 1 a.m. Meanwhile, they assumed something had happened to me and had reported me to the police as missing. I had a lot of sorting out to do before I went to bed that night, but will never forget it.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    Another golden oldie book is my favourite of them all, Evelyn Booth's 'All About the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel'.
    I just received that book by mail from Amazon.com and cannot wait to read it
    I love Amazon: they have all books, old, new, out of print, not available in US - just all!

Quote Originally Posted by eJoanna View Post
    I found those pictures: Ch. Telvara Karbon Kopy, Ch. Telvara Top Hat and Ch. Telvara Kasanova

Ch. Telvara Karbon Kopy is one of my Zoe's ancestors
    Snap! I also have Ch. Telvara Karbon Kopy in My Spice's pedigree. After looking up on line for pictures of Spice's bloodlines, led me to take more of an interest in the world of dog shows! And of cause meeting the breeders of these beauties!!

Like you, Joanna I have only just started my collection. I too have the Sheila Smith book and another by Margaret Workman. I have "Cesars way", "It's me or the Dog" and just for tear jerking fun "My Life with George".
    Kind regards
    Tracey

If you're an avid collector, Tracey, look at the Cavalier Club web site for a list of more of the Cavalier books you can buy. I also have a long (but somewhat out of date now) list of Cavalier books both for serious and light/fun reading here.

I started collecting Cavalier books in the early 1980s when I got my first Cavalier, Barnaby, and have most (I hope!) of the ones written by our older breeders.

Rosemary

My first Cavalier book was "Cavalier King Charles Spaniels: A New Owners Guide to Cavalier King Charles Spaniels" - Meredith Johnson-Snyder.
    It's a great book when you get your first Cavalier puppy.

It also explained why there are 2 different organizations in the USA to register and show Cavaliers (AKC and "old club" CKCSC, USA). Very interesting for a US novice to know.
    Last edited by eJoanna; 11-11-2010 at 02:27 PM.