Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Pat Hastings on the structure - worth buying?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Morris Twp, NJ USA (NYC area)
    Posts
    1,290

    Default Pat Hastings on the structure - worth buying?

    I have recently heard about the DVD and books by Pat Hastings such as "Puppy Puzzle" (DVD), "Another Piece of the Puzzle: Puppy Development" and "Tricks of the Trade: From Best Intentions to Best in Show" (book) and

    I am still in big hunger for knowledge and it seems that there is a lot of helpful information and learnings, especialy on understanding the structure. Has anybody read them and would recommend them?
    Last edited by eJoanna; 11-20-2010 at 03:31 AM.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburb, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eJoanna View Post
    I have recently heard about the DVD and books by Pat Hastings such as "Puppy Puzzle" (DVD), "Another Piece of the Puzzle: Puppy Development" and "Tricks of the Trade: From Best Intentions to Best in Show" (book) and

    I am still in big hunger for knowledge and it seems that there is a lot of helpful information and learnings, especialy on understanding the structure. Has anybody read them and would recommend them?
    Absolutely buy these books and tapes. Also Dog Steps by Rachel Paige Elliott. You'll learn all about structure and movement and how one is related to the other. It doesn't matter what breed you are talking about, it should be a sound specimen as well as have good type.
    Sue

    Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

  3. #3

    Default

    Personally I don't agree with Pat Hastings method of evaluation - if I followed what she advocates I would never have kept the majority of dogs/bitches that I have here - but that is just my opinion. If I remember correctly she advocates evaluation at a specific age (maybe 8 weeks I can't remember) In my experience this does not hold true in Cavaliers

    The Kennel Club has or used to have a good DVD on movement - not sure if it is still available or not

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bowers Gifford, Essex, UK.
    Posts
    1,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Personally I don't agree with Pat Hastings method of evaluation -
    Me neither Annette..... I can’t imagine why anyone would have the need to evaluate their Cavalier puppies in the way she describes

    Veronica.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburb, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    Me neither Annette..... I can’t imagine why anyone would have the need to evaluate their Cavalier puppies in the way she describes

    Veronica.
    I don't think the evaluation method applies to Cavaliers either. But I do think that she gives basic canine information that can be valuable. I should have made that clear in my first post about the book. I might have been a little too effusive.

    I tried her puppy evaluation once. I have a friend who is a terrier breed and is a recent judge of cavaliers to help me and we ended up screaming with laughter.
    Sue

    Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SevenWoods View Post
    I don't think the evaluation method applies to Cavaliers either. But I do think that she gives basic canine information that can be valuable. I should have made that clear in my first post about the book. I might have been a little too effusive.

    I tried her puppy evaluation once. I have a friend who is a terrier breed and is a recent judge of cavaliers to help me and we ended up screaming with laughter.
    Sue this is the problem with it - with due respect there are a lot of newer people in the breed in the US that swear by her methods.
    I can remember years ago looking at a litter in the US that had been evaluated using PH I was asked my opinion without knowing what her results were and my pick of litter and those that I thought were more likely to be pets were poles apart from hers! VBG
    As it turned out the breeder kept two - my pick and the one according to the evaluation - mine got made up very quickly and I think the other went eventually to a pet home.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburb, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Sue this is the problem with it - with due respect there are a lot of newer people in the breed in the US that swear by her methods.
    I can remember years ago looking at a litter in the US that had been evaluated using PH I was asked my opinion without knowing what her results were and my pick of litter and those that I thought were more likely to be pets were poles apart from hers! VBG
    As it turned out the breeder kept two - my pick and the one according to the evaluation - mine got made up very quickly and I think the other went eventually to a pet home.
    It boggles my mind when people read something and all of a sudden it's the gospel of the day. I still say there are valuable lessons to be learned from her. And from others. Definitely get her book, make it part of your library, but don't make it your whole library!!
    Sue

    Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Morris Twp, NJ USA (NYC area)
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Thank you so much for the comments. From reading your posts, it seems to me that conlusions are:
    • The DVD and the books by Pat Hastings can be a great lessons on structure and movment and therefore worth seeing/reading them.
    • However, the method of evaluating 8 week old puppies as show potential does not nessesary applies to Cavaliers - The experinced eye of the experinced breeder is the best thing for that


    I went to Cavalier Club website as well as Kennel Club website to look up the DVD that Annette mentioned but I did not find that. What is the title or the author of that DVD?

    Thank you again,
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Morris Twp, NJ USA (NYC area)
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    I watched a DVD with the instructions on the evaluation yesterday.

    While I keep in mind that such evalutaion at 8 weeks of age, doesn't hold true for a Cavalier puppy, it was a great lesson for me on the structure of the dog and it clarified many questions I had on that subject.
    Last edited by eJoanna; 02-24-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Dorset
    Posts
    59

    Default

    [QUOTE=eJoanna;33530]
    I went to Cavalier Club website as well as Kennel Club website to look up the DVD that Annette mentioned but I did not find that. What is the title or the author of that DVD?

    I think the dvd Annette was referring to is 'Understanding Canine Conformation and Movement' which is part of the Kennel Clubs Show Judges Training Programme 'Skilful Judging Starts Here' produced by the Kennel Club.

    I don't know whether you can still order it through the KC - that's where I got it from but it was about 3 to 4 years ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •