Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooper eats chews and eats fabric.

Default Cooper eats chews and eats fabric.

My 10 month pup is obsessed with chewing towels, blankets, rugs, anything fuzzy. He will skin a tennis balls and eat the fuzzy yellow stuff.

I buy him rubber chew toys and he tears off chunks and eats the rubber. I have to buy him extreme everything and sometimes he still eats it.

I am concerned about his eating fabric. I try to keep things away from him, but I can't always predict what he will fixate on. He even eats his own fur when I brush him. He also eats dryer lint.

When I walk throught the backyard, I see all the items that have passed through his digestive track. He is sure getting his fiber!!

I don't want him to get sick. I am trying to train him out of this. I give him Kongs stuffed with a frozen hotdog and cheese and it distracts him. But I worry about his eating too many hotdogs. He is not that motivated by normal dog treat items. He doesn't like Milkbones and won't eat a lot of the store bought treats for dogs. He also doesn't like peanut butter. I laugh when people suggest putting kimble in Kongs. He's smart enough to know that he gets that in his dog bowl. He won't waste time trying to get to it. He's rather eat a towel. Ugh.

Any suggestions? I've already taken him to the vet.

Give him a proper raw meaty bone to chew, outside of course. Pigs ears and tripe sticks are also good. Make sure he does not get attention for chewing the wrong things. Play lots of games with him, fetch and pull and stuff so he gets lots of attention for playing not for chewing. Make sure he is getting enough company, exercise and walks.
    Does he do it when you are there or when he is alone?
    Philippa

He does it when I am there. I put him in a crate when I leave, but I am home most of the time. I only work in the mornings.

I've given him meaty bones, but he hides them. He puts them on pillows or in my purse, but he doesn't chew on them. I've even tried locking him in his crate with them, but he doesn't chew on them. He will chew on rawhide some if I hold it for him He doesn't really like pigskin. But I haven't tried the tripe. I will try that.

We do play tug and fetch. He really enjoys the games. Walks don't seem to help much. I've thought of putting a back pack on him with a little weight to wear him out some. I don't know if that would be bad.

I definitely agree that he is bored though. I've been trying to find ways to occupy him. He's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    He does it when I am there. I put him in a crate when I leave, but I am home most of the time. I only work in the mornings.

I've given him meaty bones, but he hides them. He puts them on pillows or in my purse, but he doesn't chew on them. I've even tried locking him in his crate with them, but he doesn't chew on them. He will chew on rawhide some if I hold it for him He doesn't really like pigskin. But I haven't tried the tripe. I will try that.

We do play tug and fetch. He really enjoys the games. Walks don't seem to help much. I've thought of putting a back pack on him with a little weight to wear him out some. I don't know if that would be bad.

I definitely agree that he is bored though. I've been trying to find ways to occupy him. He's crazy.
    He certainly seems like a lively boy and bright with it!!! and you are doing the right things. I wonder if his diet is too high in protien? maybe a natural food, introduced slowly would be better? I am sure he will calm down once he is a bit older. I would not use a back pack until he is fully grown at about two years.

I once had a Miniature Snautzer who had a very exciting active life with me. I was home all day with small children and had two acres and two horses and he walked with the children to school, did the horses with me and rode out with me. He was no bigger than a cavalier and would go for two hours, 10-15 miles keeping up the horse cantering up tracks, trotting olongside me on roads etc. He would come back and just want to play for the rest of the day! He was a gorgeous dog, friendly and obedient, but exhausting to live with. I chose a different breed deliberately after he died as i wanted a more relaxed dog. Funnily enough I later sold a cavalier puppy to a woman whose Min. Sanutzer had died and she wanted a different breed because her Snautzer was really boring, slept all day and never wanted to go for a walk!!!! I have never quite got over the astonishment I felt when she told me that!!!
    Philippa

I've given him meaty bones, but he hides them. He puts them on pillows or in my purse, but he doesn't chew on them.
    A friend of mine used to take her cavalier, Dylan, to her parents. The parents would give Dylan a meaty bone, and he would instantly take it outside and try to bury it.

Apparently, it stems back to the wolf – where they would bury meat for storing until they are hungry.

I should try a few well-placed NO’s with a firm voice when he tries to eat or chew the wrong things. Short and sharp is the best – for Coopers sake
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

I will keep working with him. At least I know it isn't hopeless. I guess he is still young.

My last dog was a westie-poodle mix that was an absolute terror as a pup. Cooper is nothing like that, but he is much much smarter than I expected. It's like he needs job. I just took him for a walk and now he is sleeping on a pillow. So, that helped.

Other than being companions, what are Cavaliers good at doing? I wish I could occupy him, but it is difficult to hold his attention. And he gets bored easily. Earlier I tried to play ball with him, but he wasn't interested. Instead he wanted to find the neighbor's cat.

So...back to my question. Is there some activity that is good fit for a cavalier? Could he be trained as some sort of tracking or bird dog (I don't hunt). Agility? I am just wondering how I can fulfill his need for something to do.

I wonder if his diet is too high in protien? maybe a natural food, introduced slowly would be better?
    This is possible. I have been having trouble feeding him too. He eats Purina One for adults now. I stopped feeding him puppy food about a month ago. I've tried to feed him fancy dog foods that are highly rated. He won't eat them. I had been feeding him some canned premium food and supplementing with puppy food, but he stopped eating the canned stuff.

What do you mean by "natural food"? Do you mean a premium brand or feeding him homemade food. I will be willing to do that if I know it would be good for him. But I am afraid I might feed him wrong.

Default training

So...back to my question. Is there some activity that is good fit for a cavalier? Could he be trained as some sort of tracking or bird dog (I don't hunt). Agility? I am just wondering how I can fulfill his need for something to do.
    Heel work, obedience, agility, gun dog. Cavie's will do it all. There is or was a member on here who had gun dog cavie.

Have you been to puppy and obedience training with him? They love it - have a look at this video

Last edited by Mark Ellis; 02-03-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Couldn't resist putting Alfie's video in

Have you been to puppy and obedience training with him?
    Yes. He was a star pupil. I used a clicker with him. I need to enroll him in another class. He would like it that. There is also a dog park about 15 miles from here. There is a yearly fee, but that would be good for him too.

Thanks y'all for helping me brainstorm.

There is a website somewhere of (I think) a Canadian who uses cavaliers as his gun dogs, but this one on youtube shows their determination

Oh wow, it finally worked - posted a video
    Last edited by Mark Ellis; 01-30-2011 at 12:05 AM.