Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooper eats chews and eats fabric.

Default Agility video

Agility video

Sorry, I'll stop now and get my coat
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

very cool...thanks!

Smile Smarty Pants

...........................one smart dog you've got there Mark......love the videos
    Jenny at Erinport
    Where Excellence Without Exaggeration Counts

I can understand Jenni why you get so worried about Cooper eating fabric items. I have a 9 month old who I thought was pretty bad at chewing, but no way as bad as Cooper, mine was brought dog soft toys for christmas and within about 20 minutes had chewed tails and noses off so they had to be taken off him, he managed to get hold of a sponge from the garage this week and hubby found him running around with a big lump of it hanging out his mouth as he had ripped it off, luckily he got to him in time as he had started to shred it up. His more recent thing is jumping and getting the washing of the line to ping the pegs off and chew them, luckily again I have spotted him in time. I have bought him kongs and filled them, nylon bone type chews and rope toys which seem to help. My eldest cavalier used to have a thing about tissues and once eat a whole trainer sock and was determined to swallow it whole when we tried to get it off of him, this was very worrying, but it appeared again about over a week later when he was sick on my Mother`s carpet.
    Pam

It is so nice to be able to see the videos! Watching Alfie took me back to training Madam - I never could teach her send-away, but our instructor used yoghurt pots for markers and Madam always sniffed each one then looked at me as if asking "Well, you've touched them all; which do you want me to bring back?" She was good at scent, mine or someone else's. Intriguing: when we did distance control and were asked to put the dog in a stand, we were taught to use the name first, so it would be "Madam stand!" While with the Sit and Down commands we were Never to use the name.

The chewing thing is complicated. It if was something solid like furniture, I'd suggest using the Mennen solid deodorant in the green colour - I can't remember the scent but it is THE most effective chewing deterrent I’ve come across. Cedric, when young, shredded the bottom of the curtains of the French windows in the kitchen, and we had to move the towel rail up high or he would grab the towels and sometimes chew them but more often drag them around the yard.

Cooper’s sounds a bit of a behaviour disorder, which he may grow out of. He should have all his adult teeth now, and it doesn’t sound as if he needs to chew to ease discomfort.

Here is a suggestion: it’s a bit drastic, but don’t feed him later than midday one day. Leave him water, of course, and then give him either a Kong stuffed with kibble or a short length of beef femur (thigh bone) with the marrow in – it has to be fresh so you need to get it from a butcher you trust. Put him in a crate with it, and I’d be very surprised if he didn’t chew it.

Jane

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will try all of them and something will work eventually.

If I watch him real close, I can correct him before he gets the item, with a "NO". He does listen and obey. But if he already has it, it is much harder to get him to stop. He is obsessive about things and doesn't forget them if you distract him with something else.

Sometimes I notice that if he is hungry or tired, he is worse. I am having trouble getting him to eat dog food. Perhaps he is hungry.

He really is a good boy. He just has some qwirks that need to be worked out.

This sounds exactly like my 9 month old. She's absolutely exhausting to live with.....

We've now removed every soft toy she had because she would become completely obsessed with skinning and eating them. We didn't initially realise she was actually eating the fabric but it soon became obvious when she got ill

Aside from clicker training I have now found things to keep her busy for a while (she sleeps for maybe an hour during the day if we're lucky) and it mainly involved strong rubber treat toys. Have you tried the below?

The good thing about these is that it will keep her busy for an hour or so with very small treats so you don't need to worry about them eating too much. With the JW 'Hol-ee' ball I normally use a large dense treat like wainwrights veg sticks cut in half so she really has to work at it to get anything out

Blog Entries

You might also try beef tracheas. They last a little longer than pigs ears and my girls love them. You could also think about feeding raw. If you don't have the time or are concerned you won't meet all requirements in your own recipe you can try the premixed frozen patties. They aren't cheap but my two girls absolutely love it. I just put in a bit of my own veggies, even though the veggies are included in the company's mix. If you do try a new diet do it gradually however.
    I can't begin to tell you all the things my Emily has chewed up although she went for the things that were tougher than fabric.
    Karen H

I'd suggest that he not have the run of the house right now. If he eats a sock or something he could get an obstruction and require surgery. It doesnt always pass through.

If he's getting these things when he's home with you, perhaps an exercise pen would help keep him in one place. I've used baby gates and exercise pens as door obstacles for years. You can dog-proof the rooms he has access to.

It will help if he's tired every day. If the dog park is too far, consistent walks or throwing a ball (you can do that in the house with such a small dog) will help a lot.

As far as keeping him mentally stimulated, games are great. There are many "nose work" games where the dog seeks treats, toyss, or other things in different rooms of the house. If you search the Internet you'll find videos on how to train him.

Agility and obedience trials are great to do with dogs (really good for people too). I was advised with my Golden puppy to seek out an agility trainer who was careful with puppies--some of the things shouldn't be done until most dogs are at least 18 months old.

Also, there are some great games you can buy that are puzzles for dogs. The best seem to be the ones made by Nina Ottoson. Instructions are in the box. Dog figures out how to open parts of the puzzle to get the treats.

As far as food, everyone has their favorite. I'm a big fan of Purina Pro Plan. They make a small breed formula. Most dogs like it, it's high quality, and is fed by many, many breeders and dog showers in the a states. (No, I don't work for them! )

Good luck! It sounds like you have your hands full. But with exercise, restrictions, and some "work" to do, I'm sure he'll be fine.

PS, Wanted to add that my GR chews up all his toys too. I've found he can't take apart the ChuckIt balls like he does tennis balls, though. He adores the Chuckit balls. Loves to chase them, and loves to chomp on them!
    Last edited by WayOutWest; 07-09-2012 at 07:50 PM.