Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adult Handling Finals 2011

Smile

Flo, Marina's book arrived this morning. Packed with lots of useful information and advice.

When I first flicked through it and saw the "Circle" patern, I thought the dog had to go the opposite way to the handler. We did some of this at obedience training, but can you image where the dog would end up if you did have to go in opposite directions at a show
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Oh well done Flo! I don't know how I missed this thread, but I could do with some lessons!

Jane

Very well done, those who show know how naughty Cavaliers can be at times, so top marks to you both for working as a team.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    After two years of trying my utmost and getting just inside the final cut a couple of times, today I presented Little Joe in the last Adult Handling Qualifier for 2011 and got third place with him, which means I have
    qualified

Phew, this is one of the hardest things I have ever done and I am still trying to come down from cloud 9.

For those who aren't familiar with adult handling, it is the handler and not the dog who is judged and placed or otherwise. The judge asks the handler to do basic things such as showing the dog's mouth from all sides, goes over the dog on the table, then often asks questions such as how many teeth should a dog have? or to point to any named part of the dog.

Then the dog is moved according to the judge's direction. These may be the triangle and up and down maneouvres which are common to the breed rings or, more frequently, a letter T, reverse letter T, an L or reverse L, an S or even a figure eight. The handler must have the dog under control at all times and show a close rapport with him, presenting the dog to it's best advantage at all times and never breaking the golden rule of not coming between the dog and the judge.

Then when standing for floor inspection, the judge will often go behind the line unexpectedly and penalise contestants who do not immediately turn to face the other direction. Today there was a lot of walking around the stacked dogs - if only Joe hadn't moved slightly at the last moment.

As with breed and general championship shows, adult handling classes are very few and far between, about 7 or 8 a year in the Midlands. Classes are usually large and competition friendly but fierce, so please indulge me in having this enormous brag.
    Well done Flo! I think Alison (Walker) from Middlesborough does it too with her Korolevsky Iosif. Maybe at Crufts you could manage a photo of you and "little joe" (r u a Bonanza fan??) for ChatterBox. Norma

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craigowl View Post
    Well done Flo! I think Alison (Walker) from Middlesborough does it too with her Korolevsky Iosif. Maybe at Crufts you could manage a photo of you and "little joe" (r u a Bonanza fan??) for ChatterBox. Norma
    The finals are at Coventry, but I haven't got the date yet. I will ask somebody to take some pictures on the day though.

You are right about Little Joe's name. When I first saw him he was strutting around the litter box waggling his hips and little bottom just like the actor playing Little Joe in Bonanza used to, so Little Joe was a must.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

fantastic news! well done to you both. Sounds like a book I would be interested in looking at too.

Mark there is a ringcraft in Sailsbury, I dont know if this is too far away for you.
    Last edited by kerryann; 03-14-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
    Mark there is a ringcraft in Sailsbury, I dont know if this is too far away for you.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be able to go to Weymouth after June.
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Well done Flo! You should be pleased with yourself!

I have qualified every time out for these finals since I started showing seriously in 2007. I enjoy the qualifiers immmensely - but not the finals, I have to say!

I personally feel the finals are a bit of a let down and not enough is made of them, considering how far afield they offer qualifiers and thus how far people might be travelling to them.

(Before anyone shoots me down - I did make this comment to the committee at the last final I attended and I was told that they were considering a venue change and including more things as only around 1/3 of those who qualified actually entered the final and they wanted to boost numbers - so far nothing appears to have changed at all!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beaconsfylde View Post
    Well done Flo! You should be pleased with yourself!

I have qualified every time out for these finals since I started showing seriously in 2007. I enjoy the qualifiers immmensely - but not the finals, I have to say!

(Before anyone shoots me down - I did make this comment to the committee at the last final I attended and I was told that they were considering a venue change and including more things as only around 1/3 of those who qualified actually entered the final and they wanted to boost numbers - so far nothing appears to have changed at all!)
    I personally feel the finals are a bit of a let down and not enough is made of them, considering how far afield they offer qualifiers and thus how far people might be travelling to them.

Just to let you know they HAVE changed the venue for 2014. It's going to be in Daventry, Northants, Roxanne. I have qualified again, his year getting second at Birmingham KA. Not absolutely sure I will be able to get there, but will check it out once I get the invitation. Meanwhile, have just entered the qualifier at the Reditch Show. Not holding my breath - it's 36 and over. Made note to find a mini skirt to fit my maxi bottom.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo