Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table training

Default Table training

I have a lovely ruby bitch who has done well on her first 2 outings, BPIB and qualified at her first champ show but on both occasions has been a nightmare on the table!
    She is not scared, infact the completer opposite, a bit of a whirling dervish and both judges suggested I invest in some superglue to keep her feet on the table!
    She is 7 months old and when standing she will put her front paw up to try and release my hand from her and prevent her mouth being looked at. I dare not let go of her as she would fall off the table. The whole back end wags!
    Difficult to train her with treats as she is a complete pig and food makes her even more excited!
    I have tried a bit of clicker training with her, limited improvement so far but does anyone else have any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Karen x

She is still only a baby give her time ,after all you do not want a statue.I put mine on the table once a day just for a few moments when they are in Minor Puppy ,she will settle down when she is ready I do not use bait as some judges do not like it, and I do find they begin to realise what is exp ected of them.I like to see a puppy being naughty in the ring at least they are enjoying their day out.Do' not get too anxious as it will go down the lead and only make matters worse, but that is only my opinion.
    Betty

Smile Take your time

I think Betty is right - give the baby girl time to grow up, and to enjoy being a puppy.

When I am judging, I really do NOT like seeing puppies behaving like little statues - they're meant to be having a good time

I do less training with puppies than Betty has described - BUT - as most people who know me say - all mine have been to the 'Jenny Howden Training School' - which is not much training at all, except for a very little table training, and a very little lead training.

I usually find mine get their heads around what is going on in their own good time.

When they are about 18 months old, I give them 10 minutes of what I call "the business" - which is firmer and more structured training - which I try to do at the end of the day at a show, when most people have gone home. Not always possible I know, but it does seem to work, and then they are usually settled and happy to do their best (I hope).
    Jenny at Erinport
    Where Excellence Without Exaggeration Counts

Thx Betty and Jenny,
    As you say I don't want to overdo things and knock the spirit out of her, she is such a happy girl. To be fair to her she did manage a stand and a wag and goes well on the move, it is just the table which lets her down, making it difficult for the Judge to go over her as she constantly fidgets.
    Neither Judge penalised her for this, infact at her first show it was her attitude that he loved so much.
    Will continue with a bit of practice but I wont stress over it!
    Karen x

My boy was a very lively pup on the table. At his first show he lept into the judges arms

I have a table at home and i pop him on it for a few moments every now and then. I stroke him, give him a brush, occasional treat once hes calmed down, lots of praise........ gets him used to good things associated with the table.
    Dont worry too much with a pup, just getting him used to it all for now is all progress, worry about the stand till later.
    My ringcraft told me not to bait whlst on the table as some judges dont like it. I did bait to start with when he was 5/6months, now we dont.... i show him an empty hand so he knows I have nothing, so he doesnt lunge for my hand in search of a treat. He knows it comes when hes done what is asked. keep it fun.
    Im fairly new to all this myself, so hope my limited tips help.

My boy just turned a year old and hes still sometimes lively on the table but hes much better behaved than he was when we first started.

It will come.

All the best, wish you much more continued success.
    Last edited by kerryann; 06-25-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    I have tried a bit of clicker training with her, limited improvement so far but does anyone else have any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Karen x
    Southsea dog borstal

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Cunningham View Post
    Southsea dog borstal
    Lol Mary! CAN I BOOK AN APPOINTMENT???

Karen and the lunatic Ginger fidget! xx

Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    She is not scared, infact the completer opposite, a bit of a whirling dervish and both judges suggested I invest in some superglue to keep her feet on the table!
    I am glad I am not the only with a super charged puppy on the table! After a brief wrestling match on the table a judge told me my girl had the energy of 5 Cavaliers.

Also glad you posted this as the responses I am reading lead me to believe we are still headed in the right direction as we are trying to have fun and waiting for her to get older to completely behave.

Good luck!
    Bev

I wish Coco was crazy on the table. She is afraid of it and hunches her back up into an awful arch. I think it is easier to train a confident and happy dog to be calm on the table than it is to train a scared dog to show their personality on the table.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

I like the idea of dog borstal - but it brings back memories of when I was little - if I was really naughty my mum used to say she was going to phone the local "naughty boys home" for them to take me away....

Regarding mouths, when my sister cleaned her Shelties teeth she always told them "show teeth" afterwards (with due reward) so it became a daily routine. I'm doing this with Robbie and Herbie too now for when we go to the vets. Robbie was impossible to handle when I first got him - he's real little live wire too, but with me regularly doing a cursory inspection he's quiet and willing now. So maybe give it a try so she gets used to her mouth being touched as a regular occurrence?

Rosemary