Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laura Lang's New CKCS Book

Default Laura Lang's New CKCS Book

USA cavalier breeder Laura Lang has written a breed book to be published at the end of August. This is the first book about cavaliers to be written by a breeder who has dedicated her cavalier breeding program to following the health testing and breeding protocols necessary to rid future generations of CKCSs of early-onset MVD and other genetic disorders. It's sections on MVD, PSOM, syringomyelia, and other genetic health disorders are excellent.

For example, in no other CKCS book written by a breeder will you read anything like this statement:

"MVD is the most common health concern of Cavaliers today. You can assume that your Cavalier will develop MVD at some point. Don't listen to breeders who say that only 50 percent develop it or that there is no MVD in their lines, as these are not true statements."

You may pre-order it on-line at Amazon here http://amzn.to/kONoNH
    Rod Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    For example, in no other CKCS book written by a breeder will you read anything like this statement:

"MVD is the most common health concern of Cavaliers today. You can assume that your Cavalier will develop MVD at some point. Don't listen to breeders who say that only 50 percent develop it or that there is no MVD in their lines, as these are not true statements."
    WOW.... I can hear your excitement from this side of the pond The book sounds right up your street Mr Russell..... in fact, I could swear this quote above comes straight from your website Dont you have something on there like: "What breeders wont tell you" I'm sure I'm not word perfect in that quote, but I only visited your website once and have no intention of returning.

I needn't ask what you'll be buying everyone for Christmas. You'd better get your block order in at Amazon.com before this book sells out

PS..... I've just noticed that the author of this new book has corrected you on another forum, stating you did not post the last line of your chosen quote from her book, so because I'm in a very helpful mood, I'll add it for you:

" Yes, there are some Cavaliers who never develop MVD, but this is quite rare. Your concern should be the general ages the parents and grandparents were when they developed MVD."

Best not to cherry pick dont you think ?
    Last edited by Veronica Hull; 06-28-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added a PS

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    ... PS..... I've just noticed that the author of this new book has corrected you on another forum, stating you did not post the last line of your chosen quote from her book, so because I'm in a very helpful mood, I'll add it for you:

"Yes, there are some Cavaliers who never develop MVD, but this is quite rare. Your concern should be the general ages the parents and grandparents were when they developed MVD."[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Best not to cherry pick dont you think ?
    I did not have access to that part of the passage, Veronica. As I have noted previously, the book is not out yet. I do not have a copy.
    Last edited by RodRussell; 06-28-2011 at 01:01 AM.
    Rod Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    I do not have a copy
    OMG... I would have thought you would be presented with the authors works long before any other mortal being had access to it.

You give the impression that you are familiar with the content of this book by praising it .... using words like 'excellent'

quote:

“It's sections on MVD, PSOM, syringomyelia, and other genetic health disorders are excellent. For example, in no other CKCS book written by a breeder will you read anything like this statement:

Your cherry picked passage 'of excellence' sent out to all the forums is of course one that takes a stab at breeders, calling them liars.

How fortunate for you to have this one ”clipped paragraph” out of an entire book to get excited about

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica Hull; 06-28-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Please note that most dogs will get a heart murmer at some point. In the wild, dogs only live until about 7, so anything beyond that age without a problem is a bonus! Their heart (and other organs) are only designed to function in a first class order until then. It is only through selective breeding, that longer lived dogs are in existence! Well done breeders I say!!!! With farm stock they are only designed to survive only a short time as they get shot for us to eat at a very early age. Just look at some stock bulls of the continental beef breeds and they can hardly walk because of the extreme muscle development that has been bred for. It's not just dogs that have SOME problems. They just happen to share our homes and are often treated as children, not dogs with a limited life span. Look around you. Thoroughbred racehorse mares sometimes have an anus which is positioned in such a way that faecal matter can enter the vagina, so have to be stiched up after mating to prevent infection. This is then unstiched during foaling. Not nice I would say, but that is how it is. Does anyone kick up a fuss about this? Not that I have heard.

Ruth Boundy

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    ... quote:

“It's sections on MVD, PSOM, syringomyelia, and other genetic health disorders are excellent. For example, in no other CKCS book written by a breeder will you read anything like this statement:

Your cherry picked passage 'of excellence' sent out to all the forums is of course one that takes a stab at breeders, calling them liars. ...
    Veronica, I have access to portions of the book, online, just as anyone does. I quoted accurately the portion I could read. And I agree with it. If you have a problem with what Laura Lang wrote, argue with her.

The quote in red above is not directed at all CKCS breeders. But if any claim what is quoted in red, then I agree that their statements would not be true. Some breeders are liars. Some are very ignorant. Just because one chooses to breed cavaliers does not elevate sinners to angel status.
    Last edited by RodRussell; 06-28-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Rod Russell

[QUOTE=Rubyfield;43997]Please note that most dogs will get a heart murmer at some point. In the wild, dogs only live until about 7, so anything beyond that age without a problem is a bonus! Their heart (and other organs) are only designed to function in a first class order until then. It is only through selective breeding, that longer lived dogs are in existence!

Funny you should bring this up Ruth, this is pretty much what Brendan Corcoran said at the RVC Seminar last year. In the harsh world of nature, our main function on this earth is to procreate our species, whichever it may be, once this is done, we have fulfilled our usefulness regarding the survival of that species.

Commonsense will rule in the end!!!!!!!!!! We are dealing with livestock, not washing machines. Livestock cannot come with a guarantee with the option of extended warranty! It amazes me that so many live such a long and happy life, even if they have some minor problem. My champion bitch has minor symptons of SM which show themselves on very rare occasions. She lives a wonderful life and it certainly doesn't stop her trying to dig out rabbits from their burrows for 2 hours while I await her return to the car and her tea when she gets home. She is on no medication. She was born in October 2005 and certainly doesn't show any signs of slowing up!! (I wish she would - my tea could be eaten earlier if she did!) Obviusly it was a great sadness to me that I couldn't breed from her as she has such a lovely temperment as well as being a champion. But that's livestock for you.

Ruth Boundy

If you look over the table of contents, this book is loaded with a little bit for everyone; history, grooming, health, activities... At first I was so disappointed the Kindle option had not been activated by the author. But after looking through the sample pages I realized I'd miss out on the beautiful photography. Take the time to actually view the sample pages - it is not all doom and gloom, it's quite a beautiful book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/079...SIN=0793837154

Quote Originally Posted by Kodee View Post
    If you look over the table of contents, this book is loaded with a little bit for everyone; history, grooming, health, activities... At first I was so disappointed the Kindle option had not been activated by the author. But after looking through the sample pages I realized I'd miss out on the beautiful photography. Take the time to actually view the sample pages - it is not all doom and gloom, it's quite a beautiful book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/079...SIN=0793837154
    Like most long time American breeders, I've know Laura for many years. Haven't seen her for several years, though. She must have been holed up in her office writing this book I was able to read quite a bit of it online and it looks like a very good book for first time cavalier owners or people thinking about getting a cavalier. It's written in a style that is easily understood and from the table of contents looks to cover just about everything. I congratulate Laura on a job well done!
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA