Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Laura Lang's New CKCS Book

Rod I am not avoiding the answer. I do not see it mentioned. I also do not see Laura mention it either. I prefer Laura's MVD section and said its the books strongest section. Now where is her SM breeding protocol since this book is written in 2011? I know hearts are important to you. I agree, and CM/SM protocols are important to me. Do not put your personal issue above mine not when my dog just had a bad week. Let's just NOT go there, OK?

And to repeat my question: what is your personal stance on screening dogs by MRI? What do you expect personally when purchasing a Cavalier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kodee View Post
    Rod I am not avoiding the answer. I do not see it mentioned. I also do not see Laura mention it either. I prefer Laura's MVD section and said its the books strongest section. Now where is her SM breeding protocol since this book is written in 2011? I know hearts are important to you. I agree, and CM/SM protocols are important to me. Do not put your personal issue above mine not when my dog just had a bad week. Let's just NOT go there, OK?

And to repeat my question: what is your personal stance on screening dogs by MRI? What do you expect personally when purchasing a Cavalier.
    I looked and didn't see it and even though it's just a book, why mention one doesn't state it but the other doesn't? I'm sorry Kodee has had a bad week
    Anne Singleton
    Proud owner of my munchkin Elton (blenheim) and
    angel ella who lives in my heart forever
    Charlotte NC

Blog Entries

Post easy read--great book for new ckcs owners/enthusiasts

[QUOTE=RodRussell;43981]USA cavalier breeder Laura Lang has written a breed book to be published at the end of August. This is the first book about cavaliers to be written by a breeder who has dedicated her cavalier breeding program to following the health testing and breeding protocols necessary to rid future generations of CKCSs of early-onset MVD and other genetic disorders.
    It's sections on MVD, PSOM, syringomyelia, and other genetic health disorders are excellent. For example, in no other CKCS book written by a breeder will you read anything like this statement:

"MVD is the most common health concern of Cavaliers today. You can assume that your Cavalier will develop MVD at some point. Don't listen to breeders who say that only 50 percent develop it or that there is no MVD in their lines, as these are not true statements."

You may pre-order it on-line at Amazon here http://amzn.to/kONoNH

Blog Entries

Post Good book for new ckcs owners/enthusiasts

It's sections on MVD, PSOM, syringomyelia, and other genetic health disorders are excellent. Bought this book after reading about it on this forum. Received it within a few days(living in the States). The book is an easy read but is directed more to the first time Cavalier pet owner and Laura Lang made no inferences to breeding and at what ages etc. etc. It is one of the most honest breed books I have read to date but would not call her discussions on the health issues "excellent." There is really nothing much new that she has included from what other authors have written except that she is very up front with the issue of MVD and the likelihood that Cavaliers will develope this at some time or another and with SM, as well. There is no indepth coverage on these topics from what other breed books have said-at least as far as I can see. I do, however, feel she has done an excellent job informing potential cavalier owners what the real health concerns trully are. But as for the sections on the health issues giving "excellent information," that depends. If you are new to the world of cavaliers then again it is forthright but for one who is really into cavs or breeding,showing, etc, the Excellent readings are what the Breed Clubs have been posting to inform all Cavalier fanciers. But the coverage afforded by the clubs may be more difficult to understand from a newbie standpoint, that is.
    There is another section that I would again like to commend Laura Lang for being honest about and this is on her recommendations for spaying/neutering. Quted from her book,
    "Generally it is almost certainly better to wait to spay or neuter until after your Cavalier's growth plates have closed." (and does add some exceptions to this rule however). I thought that was fairly bold as in most of the breed books I have read they were in favor of early spaying/neutering. This helped to solidify this more in my mind and would like to have known this point of view when I purchased my first CKCS.
    She also covers general grooming, training, and activities etc involving cavaliers, as do other breed books.
    On the whole I would strongly recommend to someone purchasing a ckcs for first time.
    But there was no breeder-bashing.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Pretty pics would have been nice!

Please refer to my previous post but I do agree about the pretty pictures. I realize that this book is intended for new cavalier owners/fanciers but I would have chosen a different picture then the one on page 19 that represents our beloved blenheim-ugh. Not brow-beating here just would have chosen something a little nicer

(sorry new here to posting on this forum--don't have the hang of it yet.)
    Keekycat

Quote Originally Posted by Kodee View Post
    ... And to repeat my question: what is your personal stance on screening dogs by MRI? What do you expect personally when purchasing a Cavalier.
    I did not see this question before. My position is that the breeder should follow the SM breeding protocol.
    Rod Russell