Thread: Grooming Tips

Blog Entries

Default Grooming Tips

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I need some tips with grooming Elton. His former family never groomed him and even though I got a start on the mats in his ears, it has been a work in progress. Pat Lander who kindly worked an hour on his ears, mentioned I should get Johnson and Johnson No more tangles. I did and it has helped along with giving him treats as I work on the mats, but did not know of anything else good.

He also has tear stains that I have been using Angel Eyes that I had already. Anything else you suggest? He also was shaved so he doesn't have long hair yet. Any shampoo that is good? Since his body hair is somewhat short, that is easy to keep mat free as it grows. His tail has a big mat also.

Anyway, I would love tips, products, information on great grooming ideas. It is hard because he wasn't used to it. I started Ella early so she would just lay in my lap. That changed later on with her SM which was a reason to not like it much, but Elton doesn't have it and is just not used to it.
    Anne Singleton
    Proud owner of my munchkin Elton (blenheim) and
    angel ella who lives in my heart forever
    Charlotte NC

Anne

One advice for stains and tears I read recently is to give a dog lecithin in granules (1/2 tea spoon to the food every day). Initially the staining can get worse but after 3 weeks they should go away and perhaps forever. I am in the week 2 with giving it to my dogs and can see improvement (I give it in the spoon of natural yoghurt). I bought it on Amazon.

I used to use Angel Eyes but decided against it as a long term solution since it contains antibiotic.

For the shampoos I would recommend Isle of Dogs Royal Jelly (you also can buy it on Amazon). It is very delicate and it promotes hair growth.

For mats I do get them a lot despite every day brushing because my dogs have a lot of hair. I spray it with whatever spray for mats (Isle of Dogs have a couple of good things) and I comb it on the surface with a very small metal comb, only on the surface without trying to undo the mat, just combe. After some time, the mat will be combed out without pulling any hair and without paint. However it takes a lot of time.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

For the very yummy treats (but tiny since he is so little dog) that you may want to give them as reward, I recommend the beef liver. I first boil it a little and then bake it in oven. When it cool, cut it in the very tiny pieces, put in small plastic bags and freeze for future or use right away.

I like it because I don't really know what is in the treas from the store and since I give my dogs a lot of rewars, I need something that will not "poison" them, cause diarrhea or make them fat. Those pieces are small and have nothing fattening. They smells wonderful (I feel like eating it when I cook it) and one liver will be there forever before you eat it. It will also not stain your close because the fat is gone after cooking and baking it.

Anne, contact Trish Panzarella, the Southeastern rep for Isle of Dogs. Tell her that you're my friend and you just adopted a Rescue and explain what his coat, etc is like. She is AMAZING and will walk you through what to do. I really like the Isle of Dogs products. She did a great job with helping us with prizes for the St. Louis show this weekend-- I think the exhibitors will be very pleased!

You can find her on Facebook and I will send you her email.

For tear stains, I have found the Kleenface to work really well. I put it on a cotton ball and used it a couple of times a day til they eventually went away. Google Kleenface and you will find it.

Blog Entries

Thanks joanna and holly! I went ahead and got the isle of dogs royal jelly shampoo and a deep conditioner on amazon. I went to the website and they have great stuff! I have about 50 shampoo and conditioners but I never tried isle of dogs. I remember people talking about it at the show in atlanta. They had a matt detangler spray that I almost got
    Anne Singleton
    Proud owner of my munchkin Elton (blenheim) and
    angel ella who lives in my heart forever
    Charlotte NC

Anne, another tip - if you planing to fly with Elton - I found that SturdiBags size L are the best. First they have exactly perfect dimensions for dogs carriers to be taken on the board. Second, they are very light (2 lbs only) - the lightest you can find, Thirs, they have flexible upper part so if the plane seats are a bit lower, you can still push the bag under it (and you need to do it for taking off and landing).

You can find them in Petco and Petsmart (only online), Amazon and also at the producer website (where you have better chocie of colors).

I love those bags. I used one (also L size) to bring Zoe from Germany and it was perfect.

funny, logged on to ask similar questions re grooming. my tri boy, age 4 and a half, a rescue. always looks scruffy!! I groom him everyday, he loves it!! he is a very easy dog, but ten minutes later his ears look scraggly again, again tips??

Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    funny, logged on to ask similar questions re grooming. my tri boy, age 4 and a half, a rescue. always looks scruffy!! I groom him everyday, he loves it!! he is a very easy dog, but ten minutes later his ears look scraggly again, again tips??
    Get him a snood! My girl's ears are lovely so long as they dont get wet. The moment she drinks water or eats a messy snack her ears curl up and get raggedy. A snood is a little bonnet dogs with long ears can wear to keep them neat and tidy when they need to do something that might get them wet or messy!
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

I WISH my dogs would wear a snood! I only had one who'd wear one comfortably: the others manage to get them off in seconds.

Jane