Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking

Blog Entries

Default Barking

I am having some trouble with Elton barking. He has gotten better when I leave but if he wants to play he just barks for my attention. I am not used to this at all. Can anyone give training tips? He is a rescue so I know he is having some adjustments but I could use some help
    Anne Singleton
    Proud owner of my munchkin Elton (blenheim) and
    angel ella who lives in my heart forever
    Charlotte NC

2. Default

Rylie used to (and sometimes still does) bark when he wants us to throw the ball. What has worked for us is to just turn my back on him and/or pick up the ball or toy he wants to play with. Our dogs are brilliant. They soon learn what behaviour brings them the results they want.

Anne you should look into clicker training or better yet a Rally class, I love it.

For barking this is how Kodee was taught. Stand with a bag of treats and when he takes long breath and doesn't bark, click and treat. Keep doing it and he will realize (if you time it right) no bark = treat. Once he gets the hang of it, add a word "no bark, or hush" as you click, treat.

I will admit (flame away anyone) I did resort with Becky after a yr to a squirt bottle of water. I only needed to use it 3 x in one session. She was a horrible barker. She'd stand on my couch (the white one naturally) and bark at all the passing people. I tried everything with her - nothing and i mean nothing worked! Even my own clicker advice that worked with Kodee did not work with Becky. This was a last resort as it should be.

On another note, I only once tried this with Kodee. I will never do that again. Probably due to her health issues, she spun about like she had been stung. I really really felt bad - I should have known better with her. The point is, it should be a last resort and even then, may not be suitable for some dogs.

Blog Entries

My cousin used the water bottle before. She has a WILD weimriener! Elton is at the vet now. Tried to push out patellas (would not budge)!!! No murmer (vet couldn't find), hips felt good. Already had neurological consultation, perfect! Can not find anything wrong! Even no fleas and he hasn't had flea prevention! So overall, I got a winner.

Vet is going to leave some obedience class material, but I like the clicker idea. He has gotten better but I am sure it's just adjustment to new surroundings.
    Anne Singleton
    Charlotte NC

Dylan stopped his barking when I got a second dog, his marking stopped when I got a third!!
    ....¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ „ø¤º°¨
    ¨°º¤ø„¸ Dylan, Poppy's & Kipling's¸„ø¤º°¨
    ¸„ø¤º°¨''' ¤ø' " Mummy`` "*'¨°º¤ø„¸
    ,¸„ø¤º°¨'*"¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ "*'¨°º¤ø„¸

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    Dylan stopped his barking when I got a second dog, his marking stopped when I got a third!!
    And when will you get a fourth?
    Dennis

I think three is enough for me Dennis
    ....¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ „ø¤º°¨
    ¨°º¤ø„¸ Dylan, Poppy's & Kipling's¸„ø¤º°¨
    ¸„ø¤º°¨''' ¤ø' " Mummy`` "*'¨°º¤ø„¸
    ,¸„ø¤º°¨'*"¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ "*'¨°º¤ø„¸

My sister resorted to a squirty "machine gun" for her very noisy Shelties - being smart little madams they just learned to move out of range! (She was waiting for hip replacements at the time and wasn't very mobile.) However my niece has used a bottle with great success on her young Sheltie - she only had to do it three or four times and he'd learned.

One method I've heard about which is supposed to work is to reward them for barking so they'll learn to bark on command, and then apparently you can reward them when they stop! I'm not sure I'm convinced though...

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
    Vet is going to leave some obedience class material, but I like the clicker idea.
    I've done a bit of clicker training, Anne, with both Herbie and Robbie. With Herbie I went to classes (taught by my new neighbour who lives immediately across the road!!) and we mainly used treats as a lure to encourage and shape behaviour. With Robbie I'm teaching him at home, and have also had a go (quite successfully) at just clicking/marking desired behavour and got him going to a piece of vet bed, and lying down with his head down between his paws, without doing anything other than clicking and treating. He's quite bright and will offer behaviours to see what I'll reward; Herbie isn't so confident and is much better at learning if he's guided; he'll usually just sit and wait and get worried if he doesn't know what I want, so we tend not to work that way.

Rosemary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    One method I've heard about which is supposed to work is to reward them for barking so they'll learn to bark on command, and then apparently you can reward them when they stop! I'm not sure I'm convinced though...

Rosemary
    I read this and have tried it but it is very confusing. It says to teach them the word speak when they bark. So when they bark say "speak". So Elton starts to bark, go near the treats and what does he do, looks up at me like im nuts. I got some in my pocket to be ready for when the bark came. So he will bark, then I say speak.... nothing. The idea is to teach them to speak when you want them to and then teach them quiet.

He is not barking as often but he does when he gets excited like we are getting ready to go outside.
    Anne Singleton
    Charlotte NC