Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Puppy

Mikey

I have had a puppy buyers guide on my website (www.svena.co.uk) for years. My first question to pospective puppy purchasers is always have you read it?
    If not then I don't entertain them any further.
    Recommendation is always the best way to find a puppy. There are far more responsible ethical breeders in this breed than some of those on the Kennel Clubs ABS scheme, yes there are some good breeders included, Sue is correct the ONLY mandatory health test for this scheme is for eyes and IMHO that's the least of this breeds problems!

Default puppy buying advice website

Mikey

Have a look at this puppy buying advice site - http://cavalierpuppy.co.uk/
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Sutcliffe View Post
    Hi Mikey

A word of caution re Accredited breeders. Though there are Cavalier Club members that are accredited breeders and do all the health testing, in fact there is only one test that needs to be done to qualify for cavaliers - and that is the eye test!! nothing on hearts.

The public are under the impression that a KC accreditied breeder has got to be' the dogs dangly bits with bells and trumpets on'!! as the Kennel Club are behind it. But there have been stories about malpractices from some alleged accredited breeders in various breeds. Just beware.

Sue
    Seems to me that it does more harm than good. Wow! It takes so little to be an accredited breeder on the KC website but one expects so much from breeders who show and are members of the breed club. I think the club website has a lot of information but I guess it's like the AKC. One thinks that if a puppy is AKC registered that is enough, NOT!
    Anne Singleton
    Proud owner of my munchkin Elton (blenheim) and
    angel ella who lives in my heart forever
    Charlotte NC

Rod,
    I have to say that your ironic comment doesn't bring anything to the main subject - buying a puppy. If you want to say that Mikey should look for breeders who test the eyes (which I understand in UK is obligatory) - say that. Otherwise there is no point in your comment in that thread. If you want to make a different point, start your own thread with its own topic.

I have to say that many times I have no idea what you want to say because instead of saying straight you always try to make ironic comments.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

Quote Originally Posted by eJoanna View Post
    Rod,
    I have to say that your ironic comment doesn't bring anything to the main subject - buying a puppy. If you want to say that Mikey should look for breeders who test the eyes (which I understand in UK is obligatory) - say that. Otherwise there is no point in your comment in that thread. If you want to make a different point, start your own thread with its own topic.

I have to say that many times I have no idea what you want to say because instead of saying straight you always try to make ironic comments.
    Joanna. There isnt a wet sponge icon but we all might like to use this now and again to get rid of pent up irritation. Norma
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eJoanna View Post
    Rod,

Sorry Joanna,

I said the same thing but I know there are several people and Sue gave information on contacts to help Mickey.

Mickey,

I am sorry if I made this more difficult. Choosing a puppy is fun and I think this is the best breed (I may be bias) but I am so sorry for your recent loss. I recently lost a Cavalier that I adored which made me learn more and fall in love with the breed. I ended up adding a rescue now and I am sure I will have more Cavaliers in the future to add. I hear that many can't stop with just one! So I am in the same boat as trying to find a breeder or had been so I know it can be a hard decision and one you want to make sure is right for you. Thank goodness you found the forum to get help because I think there are many people and breeders on this forum that can help you find the perfect addition.
    Anne Singleton
    Proud owner of my munchkin Elton (blenheim) and
    angel ella who lives in my heart forever
    Charlotte NC

This has been the best thing I ever did coming on this forum. Everybody has been so helpful and given me great advice.

I feel so guilty now about my first post on these forums where I had a go at breeders. I now realise that the genuine breeders do have their Cavs health at the forefront of their minds.

I have just got to twist my wife's arm a little bit more and hopefully soon we will start our hunt.

Thanks again everyone.

Mikey

Blog Entries

" I have just got to twist my wife's arm a little bit more and hopefully soon we will start our hunt."

Perhaps you might have her sit with you, read with you of the events, knowledge, posts and pics many members of this forum have shared. Perhaps she is still grieving and maybe with some pick me ups/ one liners/lending hands from the group she may change her mind in due time.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and my Lyndsey will keep her toes crossed too.

Tell her there's a theory that the best way to grieve for one Cavalier is with another one in your arms.

When my second Cavalier died, I swore I never wanted another one because of the suffering they went through with health issues, and the grief that had caused me. After three or four days of an empty house I couldn't bear it - the longest few weeks of my life was the time I had to wait for my new pups to be old enough to come home with me. After the PDE program my husband was absolutely against having another after we eventually lost our then current two boys. However he changed his mind when I told him after Rowan was put to sleep that there was possibly another puppy waiting to come to us. Sometimes there's one just there waiting for you to come along and love them.

There's absolutely no way that you can ever replace any dog you've lost, each one is unique and special, but it is possible to love another one just as much but in a different way.

Rosemary

You are so right Rosemary. When we lost our Megan 18 months ago it was awful but we did have Angel and it does take some of the pain away. Now we have lost Angel it feels so empty. I always believe that there will be another one who's meant for us and fate will play it's part.

When we lose our little ones, do you get a sense that someone or something is telling you something? In the last two weeks since Angel's passing, I have seen no end of adverts on TV about dogs, there's been programs on TV from the RSPCA, we bumped into a stranger who works in a rescue home and today we were visiting my mother in law (who is in a home for a week for respite) and we bumped into a lady visitor who had a 4 year old Tri with her. My wife was close to breaking down in tears when she saw him and I believe this has turned her and we have now set in motion our hunt for a puppy.

Maybe when you lose one, things like this come more into your mind, but I am seeing it as a sign that something out there is leading us in this direction.

Phew!! That sounded a bit heavy, I've got to go and lie down now .

Mikey