Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colour Genetics in Cavaliers

Default Colour Genetics in Cavaliers

Can anyone recommend a book that explains colour inheritance in Cavaliers in relatively straight forward speak?

Thanks

Yvonne

I'm afraid I can't Yvonne and hope you will forgive me.......I'm just going for 3 in a row......

Hi Yvonne, What depth do you want to go into?

If you're just looking for what colours you are likely to have from certain matings then have a look at the following link.

http://cavalierkingcharles.org.uk/co...heritance.html

If on the other hand you want something more in depth, then you probably need to 'invest' in a book like for example, Roy Robinson Genetics for Dog Breeders or something similar.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue Sutcliffe; 09-11-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: dyslexic fingers, or it might be the keyboard sticking!

Blog Entries

There is a very old book by someone called Little called The Inheritance of Coat Colour in Dogs, which was published in the U.S. in the 1940s. It certainly doesn't meet your criteria for plain or understandable English, but I did use the criteria to select a stud for one of my tri bitches several years ago. She had a litter of six, five of which were tris, which was exactly what I hoped for.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne Holbrook View Post
    Can anyone recommend a book that explains colour inheritance in Cavaliers in relatively straight forward speak?

Thanks

Yvonne
    John Evans' book ... gives you v. straightforward explanation and shows you how to do a punnet square to work out what you're likely to get from any particular mating. Colour genetics 101, trust me!
    Sheena Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    There is a very old book by someone called Little called The Inheritance of Coat Colour in Dogs, which was published in the U.S. in the 1940s. It certainly doesn't meet your criteria for plain or understandable English, but I did use the criteria to select a stud for one of my tri bitches several years ago. She had a litter of six, five of which were tris, which was exactly what I hoped for.
    That is right Flo, Clarence C Little was the author and the book was published in America in 1957. Sadly there is nothing on the Cavalier other than a very small part on English Toy spaniels, but he does break down formulas with regard Tan points and the piebald genes.

Tina

Margaret Workman's book The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, The World of Dogs, published by Kingdom books has a chapter at the back giving genetic charts from all matings of the 4 colours, fairly easy to understand. I have a copy of it, if you are at Portsmouth Show in a couple of weeks I could bring it for you to have a look at
    Karen x

Wow! Thanks for all your replies! Certainly got plenty to go on.

Karen, I had forgotten I had that book by Margaret Workman.....have just dug it out. Trouble is.....it all looks a bit too much like Maths to me and I go into a blind panic at the thought of going back to studying that subject

Time to get my reading head on methinks! What I need is someone to produce a book "Colour Genetics for Dummies" with the emphasis on "Dummies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne Holbrook View Post
    Wow! Thanks for all your replies! Certainly got plenty to go on.

Karen, I had forgotten I had that book by Margaret Workman.....have just dug it out. Trouble is.....it all looks a bit too much like Maths to me and I go into a blind panic at the thought of going back to studying that subject

Time to get my reading head on methinks! What I need is someone to produce a book "Colour Genetics for Dummies" with the emphasis on "Dummies"
    I know what you mean, Yvonne. I have a hand-written copy(from Margaret) of Margaret's paper (which she co-wrote with Roy Robinson) and I had to ask her so many questions after she sent it, that I was downright embarrassed.
    So, here is what I did.
    I took my own bitches, one by one and allocated to them the SS, or Sp, or whatever genes I thought they MIGHT be carrying.
    Then I kept it - safely - you should try that and see how you do. It kind of personalises it, if you see what I mean?
    If your dogs are blenheims or tris, or pure-bred wholecolours then it's not so complicated as it is with Parti x Wholecolour bitches - that is a NIGHTMARE!

Who knows, before long, you could be able to start your own thread on possible colour combinations.
    It would be an interesting one.........
    Elspeth

Take a look at this site, it explains everything.
    Dennis

http://www.cavalierkingcharles.org.u...heritance.html