Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potty Training

Default Potty Training

I really am ashamed creating this new thread, but I am at my wits end. Coco is 18 months old and still occasionally has accidents. I have potty trained 3 other dogs successfully in the past and know all the key things to be doing, which we are doing and have been from day 1 Coco came home with us; feeding her on a schedule, taking her out to potty often, rewarding her, etc.

100% of the time when we take her out, she will go potty for us and we praise her and give her a treat. The problem is, she sometimes doesn't seem to finish pooping and we can never tell. She will go poop outside, then once inside we find poop on the floor maybe 10 minutes later, maybe 1 hour later, maybe 2 hours later. There is no predicting it.

We regretfully have resorted to restricting her free roam of the house, as I know if we keep an eye on her then there is no way she can sneak off to have an accident. Coco never poops in front of us when she has an accident; she will go into a different room where no one can see her, and of course we cannot punish her if we do not catch her in the act.

Now from the age of 13 - 16 months I would say she had 0 accidents. She naturally seemed to be a slow learner for potty training, my previous dogs were very reliable by age 8 - 10 months old. Coco's puppy/learning related accidents seem to have stopped finally around 13 months old and we began to give her free roam of the house when we were home and she was doing great. When she was home alone we kept her in a large pen.

Then about 6 weeks ago she got really sick we think maybe with Salmonella or another bacterial infection that caused her to have no bowel control because of severe diarrhea. She has since recovered, only took 24 hours of medication for her to get better (although she was on her medication for 7 days). Now she likes to poop inside.

Why won't Coco just please, please bark or let us know when she has to go poopoo?

I am so frustrated about this I want to cry sometimes and just give up. Coco has to stay in a crate now when she is home alone. Otherwise she will poop in the corner of her large pen we used to keep her in. We have to watch her like a 3 month old puppy now, but just for pooping. Her stool is normal and firm and her diet has not changed.

At this age I was hoping she would have free run of the house, because she is such a good natured dog and doesn't chew on anything we just can't trust her pottying habits.

I have 2 ideas I might resort to but I would like opinions if possible.

1) Keep her in her dog panties, which we have for her while she is in heat.
    2) Feed her laxatives so when she has to poop she will hopefully get everything out in that visit outside.
    Last edited by Coco; 01-01-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Hi there,

From watching your videos of training I understand that you have a very good rapport with all your four legged friends. So I know it's frustrating for you to think you've failed somehow; you haven't.
    My Cocoa at just over 12 mths old has regressed!! She was so easy to house train and never put a paw wrong; but since we had a litter October and the pups got to 8wks+ she started to squat down and wee on the doormat. She literally lost all her confidence...... The pups have all gone to their new homes, but she still has the odd misdemeanor - ...... added to her unsurity as to whether she's still a puppy or - a teenager/adult, she is also due in season within the next few weeks - so double whammy.

These things do resolve themselves even though we all tear our hair out in the meantime. With Cocoa she knows full well she has let the side down, but due to her total insecurity at the moment we show we aren't v.happy, but don't dwell on it - a look is all she needs, I know it will come right. and it will.

Sue

Have to say I'm used to my lot evacuating all at one go rather than in consecutive lots. How many times a day is Coco fed? My first thought was that she may have a minor gut problem, and then I saw that she'd been treated for one - I think in the first instance I'd try adding a probiotic to her food, something like acidophilus from the health food store, or you can get dog-specific ones. And then see what happens ...
    Sheena Stevens

This is something that does seem to happen from time to time with some dogs. My Hazel is almost 11, and every so often seems to totally forget any training she's had. Once she came in from outside and then squatted on the doormat just in front of me AND the still open door! I DID tell her off, and after a few weeks her behaviour went back to normal. I couldn't tie it in to any event; there had been nothing out of the usual at that time. I wondered if she might misbehave when Goldilocks arrived, but she didn't.

Even Tchi the Ridgeback has, once in a while, been outside and then come in and squatted! I think in her case it has been weather: she REALLY hates rain and cold and I think when she's outside she forgets what she should be doing and comes in again as soon as possible.

Six weeks isn't such a long time to recover from an intestinal illness, and even though her faeces are normal she could still not be in total control. I really don't like the idea of dog panties or especially laxatives: the latter can be really dangerous for her future intestinal health, especially as she already has had a problem.

Personally I'd still rather keep her in a large pen rather than in a crate, and leave something suitable for if she needs to go.

I know it's hard, but as she has shown that she can be clean, she just needs to get back into the routine.

Good luck,

Jane

Thank you for the support and advice everyone, that is what I was looking for.

I will go ahead and begin supplementing with probiotics and see how that goes.

My only problem with giving an area inside as a potty place is that I feel against the idea of going indoors, even if there is a designated spot... but I may have to resort to this, because I also do not like leaving Coco in a crate.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Oh and she eats twice a day.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Oh and she eats twice a day.
    I know people differ in how and what they feed their dogs, but why not try feeding her just once a day and adding the probiotic?
    Sheena Stevens

I have considered moving to once a day, as eating everything on one lump might help everything also come out in one lump...lol
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Sorry to hear of your problems. I know it can be very frustrating, I think we have all been there at times, so chin up and have confidence you cna solve the problem together! My bitches always seem to 'lose it' and wee occasionally in the house about 2 weeks before they come into season and can be a little unreliable after for a week or two. I am sure the winter weather does not help either. I think they have all got a lot more reliable after the age of 2yrs.
    Personally I woud definately reccomend a probiotic like acidophollis, and moving to one meal a day and I would add some roughage to her meal in the form of a dessert spoon of sweetcorn or mixed veg (the frozen type, defrosted is handy), grated carrot or some allbran.
    If she is doing more than one big poo at a time (ie. more smaller ones) she may have a slightly lax or midly irritated bowel that catches her out without much warning.
    I don't know what you feed her on, but more (good quality) dry food rather than wet food might help?
    Good luck anyway and I am sure she will eventually get over it and you can put it all behind you.
    In sympathy
    Philippa

Its been a while and I wanted to update on how things are going.

Coco still has accidents. Every time she has one, I lecture my husband on how we are failing her by not keeping an eye on her close enough or letting her out often enough. Accidents ALWAYS happen when I am out of the house and Coco is home alone with my husband. Strange thing is she can have been taken out only an hour ago, but then ONLY has an accident when he is too busy to pay attention to her. I know it is said that dogs do not potty out of spite, but maybe she is doing it to get attention? Maybe not, she might just have to go and then just does it where she pleases.

We ALWAYS tell her what a good girl she is when she goes outside and give her treats and everything. It isn't even that cold outside, but I also am thinking she might just prefer to go inside where it is cozy and warm.

My husband is at his wits end and is starting to say things like he doesn't care about Coco and she is too dumb and will never learn. It really hurts my feelings because I thought we were in this together, and clearly he would rather give up. I am at my wits end because I wish he would just put Coco in her crate if he is getting zoned out on his computer to help prevent accidents, but at the same time I wish Coco would tell us she has to go. Maybe she needs a doggie door and a back yard... both are things we don't have.

We live in a townhome/condo and have to take her out the front door and over to a pet area rather than just letting her run out a door into a private yard.

After a long lecture he did apologize and looked right at Coco and told her "I'm sorry, I will try harder for you".

The problem is, Coco still will nt tell us if she has to go potty. When all is well we are taking her out it seems every two hours and are using baby gates to keep her in the same room as us. What happens is my husband gets busy on his computer and this is always when Coco will have an accident, and then it is found much later. We never find her accidents warm.

I swear I am at my wits end now, I feel like we just need to have her locked up 24/7 although I know that is really cruel and never would do that. I am just frustrated and don't know what to try next. Every time she has an accident it is the humans fault - but then my husband says the same thing that I wonder too "why can't the dumb dog just tell us when she needs out?" I know Coco is very clever, she picks up on obedience very well. But sometimes I do start to wnder that maybe she isn't all too smart after all. Never in my history of dog ownership have I had a dog just potty where he or she pleases. My last dog would hold everything to avoid having an accident and would be so ashamed if he did potty inside. Coco just doesn't care.

I can't hang bells, I have two cats that would play with them all day.
    Last edited by Coco; 03-09-2012 at 05:33 AM.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco