Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potty Training

I would strongly recommend you revert to crate training her again. I did that with Tess at about age 4. She'd not been properly potty trained due to circumstances beyond my control. But she was put in the crate when I left for work (we'd moved into an apartment) and I came home at lunch to walk her then put her back into the crate. After a few weeks she was left in the gated kithen with her crate door open. After a time we expanded to gating her in the living room.

Perhaps you could put her crate near your husband's comPuter so he can put her in while he's working. When she exits the crate she should be immediately leashed and taken to her potty place. While out of the crate she should be in a pen as you have been doing.

Good luck! I hope this all works out for you and Coco. I can recall the frustration of it all when Tess was having accidents (before the crate training).

Quote Originally Posted by WayOutWest View Post
    I would strongly recommend you revert to crate training her again. I did that with Tess at about age 4. She'd not been properly potty trained due to circumstances beyond my control. But she was put in the crate when I left for work (we'd moved into an apartment) and I came home at lunch to walk her then put her back into the crate. After a few weeks she was left in the gated kithen with her crate door open. After a time we expanded to gating her in the living room.

Perhaps you could put her crate near your husband's comPuter so he can put her in while he's working. When she exits the crate she should be immediately leashed and taken to her potty place. While out of the crate she should be in a pen as you have been doing.

Good luck! I hope this all works out for you and Coco. I can recall the frustration of it all when Tess was having accidents (before the crate training).
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. It helps me feel better at least, that we are not the only ones that are struggling with something that to me seems like it should be easy (I potty trained all my previous dogs very, very easily).

The crate by the computer is an excellent idea. However as far as the rest of the management factor, Coco is always crated when we are not home, taken out to potty as soon as she is let out, etc. She will potty again after being taken out side, sometimes 10 minutes after she just went. And she always potties outside when we take her, I watch her and see her poop and pee. She comes inside and if our eyes are taken off of her, there is an accident again.

And how long did it take Tess to really get it? We have been doing strict management with gates, pens, and crating her since January now and there has been no improvement.

UTI and diet issues have been ruled out via vet checks.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Tess got it pretty quickly. I think for two reasons: 1. I was calling the shots (the previous problem had been that there three people trying to train her using "their" methods and I worked full time, leaving her in the other two's care. I finally gave up.), and 2. there were no smells in the new place that encouraged her to go inside the apartment (She'd had so many accidents in the old house that it was hard to convince her that it was bad to go inside the house.).

But she lived in the kitchen for a very long time (when we were out of the apartment).

I will say though, that she had an accident at a friend's house recently, which really caught me off guard. I think she has made our house her "den", but all other environments, including other people's homes, are fair game. So there's more work to be done.

Good luck. Sometimes it really is hard to teach an older dog new tricks. You may have to get a trainer to come in and work with your family one on one.

Yeah I fear there have been so many accidents that my whole house must smell like the good ol outdoors. I use enzymatic cleaner and I have a full size carpet steam cleaner that I use but a dog's smell is just so good....

I have considered contacting an in home trainer but I think my husband would rather see her gone then spend a bunch of money on a private trainer. Last night we had a really big argument about the whole situation and I am just in tears. I know it is just because we are frustrated, and I know for a fact that he does love her and would not want to see her leave. He is just looking for an easy solution, and I wish there was an easy instant fix to this problem.

We love her just the same and know accidents happen when it is the human's fault for not supervising close enough. I just feel like its been long enough now that you would think Coco would realize it is better to go outside than in.

Looking from a broader perspective, she has an accident once every week sometimes every other week. That really means she goes outside about 90% of the time. The other 10% is just killing us.
    Last edited by Coco; 03-09-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Hope you can get it resolved. Would be sad to have to give Coco up.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOutWest View Post
    Hope you can get it resolved. Would be sad to have to give Coco up.
    I will tell you that is NOT going to happen! No way would I rehome a dog due to potty training issues... I know whatever is going on has just got to be our fault. I am hoping to find alternative things to try to help my girl - she has done so much for me in helping me move forward with my love and passion for dogs and learning so much about her breed I owe it to her to give it all I've got.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Just a thought - have you tried spraying neat spirit vinegar where she has been? That kills the smell: it is possible she is going where she smells old urine.

I know, then you have to contend with the smell of vinegar, but it wears off.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    Just a thought - have you tried spraying neat spirit vinegar where she has been? That kills the smell: it is possible she is going where she smells old urine.

I know, then you have to contend with the smell of vinegar, but it wears off.

Jane
    The above triggered my memory of an incident. My mother in law had a problem with foxes in her porch and she kept washing it down with disinfectant with no result they would just keep coming back, but I remembered that most cleaning solutions have amonia in and so recommended she used hot water and ordinary washing powder instead, this worked, so it might also be worth a try if the vinegar doesn't.
    Janet
    (Jinjan)

Thanks everyone! I will try vinegar, although I have been using pet specific enzymatic cleaner. Regular non-pet cleaners do have ammonia which actually causes pets to still want to go in the same spot, so this I am fully aware of.

We also are thinking about getting an indoor potty area like fake grass... there are products out there like that and it may work well for Coco. I am also thinking about getting a door bell type of training device, since I can't use bells (cat's will play with them). It is a button that your dog steps on that makes a door bell ring, then take her outside.

For now I am cleaning and keeping Coco with me at all times, crating her when busy, etc. It always goes good for a few weeks until we start thinking "well now, Coco has been so good lately!" then we get lax, and BAM - accident.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Sounds like CoCo is training you. LOL.

Glad it's going well/better!