Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potty Training

Default Whyyyyy

I wanted to bring this thread up again because Coco still will poop 3 - 4x a day. Maybe I am feeding her too much? I have reduced her feedings to only 1x a day and added probiotics. She will poop in the morning, and if I tell her to go potty again, she will go back and push out another chunk...

Why can't she just get everything out in one go? She always seems to have one or two chunks to get out every time I take her to go potty. And she still is having accidents, although we are getting much better about watching her, she waits for the moment we get up to do something else and will poo in the other room.

No diarrhea, its perfectly solid, but not so hard that I think she is constipated... but I wonder. I am seriously considering laxatives to see if that will help her not feel the need to save a days worth of poo spread out over 4 bathroom breaks.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

I am sorry you are still having accidents. My labrador will go poo at least 3 times a day and always will have a poo break if we go on a walk. He rarely gets walked any more because he is old and arthritic. But when he was young he would poo 4 times a day. Once in the morning, once on our walk and once in the afternoon and once in the evening. He is only fed twice a day so it doesn't add up to me. I don't know, perhaps some dogs need to go more often?

My other dogs usually go in the morning then again in the evening. They are fed 2X a day.

If I remember right you live in apt? I wonder if she is trying to hurry to please you but could use more time for her potty break? Are her potty breaks always on a leash or is she loose in a yard? Unfortunately I think you aren't going to be able to stop her until you catch her in the act a few times and scold her fiercely.

I'm wondering also if she needs more time. What happens if you take her for a 30 minutes walk after she eats? Does she still have an accident later in the house? Sometimes Tess will poo twice during a walk or a dog park visit.

Have you asked your vet to check her out? It's possible there's something intestinal going on...or a weak sphincter or something ...

If this is still a problem, it might be best for you to change your rules about no indoor pottying, and create a place for her to go inside. I've seen "potty places" of different sizes for sale in pet stores. Perhaps put one inside her pen. Next time she poos inside, put the poo onto the mat and leave it there awhile. After she gets the idea, give her more freedom and see if her indoor evacuations all happen there, or are still being found in hidden places.

Sorry you're still having such problems! And I wouldn't worry too much about the penning or the crating. Although not ideal (we'd all rather see our dogs running around free), what dogs mostly do during the day is sleep. She can sleep just as well in the crate if she has to. You can make sure she's gets plenty of running around time when you are home to supervise her.

I certainly would NOT give her laxatives, especially as she has already had an intestinal problem. It could make the problem worse as she would then have little control and would defecate when she had to.

Dogs can be similar to people, in that what is normal for one may not be for another. The fact that she is able to oblige you by doing "one more" when you tell her indicates that she is doing her best, but also that she may be getting anxious about the issue, which can't help.

It may just be the way her digestive system works.

I have one who will go out, defecate, then run around and do another about half an hour later. If we go for a walk outside she may even go three times, and then will go again in the evening.

This makes me wonder: how much time do you give Coco? I'd say a dog needs at least half an hour to run around. I notice when I stay at a hotel overnight that the dogs really don't like defecating when on the lead (they'll urinate OK) and often won’t go until I get to the exercise area at the show; then they’ll go where there is the smell of other dogs.

Is Coco's food bulky? It might sound obvious, but if she has too much roughage in her diet then she will need to go more often. This includes concentrated foods that bulk up with water.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I wanted to bring this thread up again because Coco still will poop 3 - 4x a day. Maybe I am feeding her too much? I have reduced her feedings to only 1x a day and added probiotics. She will poop in the morning, and if I tell her to go potty again, she will go back and push out another chunk...

Why can't she just get everything out in one go? She always seems to have one or two chunks to get out every time I take her to go potty. And she still is having accidents, although we are getting much better about watching her, she waits for the moment we get up to do something else and will poo in the other room.

No diarrhea, its perfectly solid, but not so hard that I think she is constipated... but I wonder. I am seriously considering laxatives to see if that will help her not feel the need to save a days worth of poo spread out over 4 bathroom breaks.
    Are you serious?? Dogs, like children and humans, cannot "poop" on demand, as and when is convenient.....get a grip...........or get a mechanical toy

I agree with what has been said. Each of mine are different and they can go at least three times a day sometimes, depending on their mood!

Cocoa especially (16 months old) is in too much of a hurry to finish anything off properly in case she misses something, will go first thing when she's let into the garden. She then rushes in for her breakfast; then goes out again to have a wee - as she didn't do that first time out!

Half an hour later when she's taken for a walk, she will go again usually towards the end of the walk when she remembers she hasn't been, because she's been too busy racing around - so she nearly forgot! It's just how she is. I've never thought it a problem.

I would never give a laxative, I think you would regret it!

Maybe some of your anxiety about her toileting is rubbing off on her? If she needs to go 4 times a day - just give her ample opportunity to do so, problems solved, I hope.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue Sutcliffe; 05-19-2012 at 09:31 AM.

I agree with Ellie and Jane. I think you are rushing her too much she is still a baby when all is said and done.I think the problem is you, and to give antibiotics willy nilly is asking for trouble As you know some babies take time, well, it's the same with puppies, it could well be nerves she could be picking up your anxiety just let her get on with it. you'll see every thing will come in good time.

Betty

From my own experience from my dogs they both have different toileting habits, my youngest who is 24 months will not poop in the garden, he has to go out for a walk, and even then will probably be more than half way round his walk before he decides to go, it can cause problems if its pouring down with rain, but we just have to take him out early or one day when it was pouring down really hard he just waited until he finally had a walk. My eldest who is 12 years old has always been able to go anywhere, just as well as with old age he does sometimes get up at nights to go, like last night at about two in the morning.
    Pam

Default More Information

Coco is not on antibiotics, but probiotics to help in case she has a digestion issue. I had her on antibiotics several months ago when she had a sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, and loss of appetite.. took her to the emergency vet only to find out everything is fine. I was worried about a blockage or something else.

As far as her diet is concerned, she eats grainless kibble. Currently she is eating the grain free version of Canidae.

I do not think I am rushing Coco when outside because I do not have to call her back in, she chooses to come back inside on her own. Often times just out of patterns I have noticed I will simply send her back out again after the first morning trip outside, and most of the time she will poop more. I honestly think she rushes herself because I would always give her treats for coming back inside after pottying as a puppy, but I have stopped this for nearly a year now...

Now this is not a daily occurrence, because we are treating her like a puppy and closely monitoring her. 95% of the time everything is getting outside and we are happy and care free. It is just during that 5%, I will admit that I do get anxious when she has an accident.

Because they don't happen often, most of the time I am feeling normal and happy and always tell her "good potty outside!" when she goes outside.

My previous dogs got free run of the house by 12 months old, Coco almost 2 years old now. She is perfect in every way and we love her dearly but she just has this poop problem! I so wish we could trust her out unsupervised.

When I google about dogs frequently pooping things like IBD, Colitis, and Colon cancer come up. I may just have to go back to the vet and discuss these symptoms. I just find it odd that she will poop one small chunk, then another, and another, spread out over several times a day. It also could just be that is the way she is, and I am fretting over nothing.

Thanks everyone for the support so far.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Sutcliffe View Post
    Cocoa especially (16 months old) is in too much of a hurry to finish anything off properly in case she misses something
    You know this may just be all it is... a young dog just in a hurry to get on with things...

I would never give a laxative, I think you would regret it!
    This is just what I was looking for, subconsciously I believe. I don't want to do anything I would regret, but sometimes when you are at your wits end....

Maybe some of your anxiety about her toileting is rubbing off on her? If she needs to go 4 times a day - just give her ample opportunity to do so, problems solved, I hope.
    It could be me feeling anxious. Being very honest with myself here, yes, I do get anxious about this problem... BUT, I only feel that way after an accident has already happened. It is not something on my mind 24/7! Truly, if it were, I think I would be at the doctor asking for some medications for myself lol.
    Last edited by Coco; 05-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco