Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots, Tags.....or whatever they are called.

Default Knots, Tags.....or whatever they are called.

Nutmeg is at last growing a bit of a longer coat. Everyone tells me it is so 'fluffy' due to her being spayed last year. We groom her almost every day but no matter how thoroughly she is combed we keep finding "knots"/ "tags"/ "lugs" or whatever else they are called up and down the country. Basically it looks like a small lump of felt and takes ages to 'tease' out. They are mainly under her arms or on her tummy. Is there any easy way to remove them ( short of cutting them out which I really don't want to do) or do we just have to continue using a dematting comb and hope eventually her hair grows long enough to sort itself out
    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

My Tess gets these also. I usually just gently tease them out when she's sitting on my lap, watching TV. I'll be interested to see what others suggest, because they are persistent!

Hi Stephanie
    The longer the fur gets the worse the knots get. Some Cavaliers seem to be worse than others at 'manufacturing' them - even when they're asleep.
    I've not found any quick way to deal with them, just teasing them out whenever and wherever they're found.

Sue

Izzy wizzy Guest

True what sue Sutcliffe some caviliers manufacture them . Both my caviliers are sprayed . Rosie's coat remains in good condition with few knots. Izzy can go to bed knot free and in the morning can have huge knots. Izzy's coat is like wool and is professional groomed to keep it neat. As she does agility she must look her best as well as being good at her sport. The brush I was recommended to to buy was MasonPearson a tip from her breeder . Regularly brushing of Izzy ears , underarms tummy keeps her almost knot free. Its just the way she is. The girls can be viewed on wagging tails pet photographer (louise davis).
    Last edited by Izzy wizzy; 01-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.

There is a good product designed for children, in the UK, ”no knots” or "tangle free" or something. A friend gave me a spray bottle when she was over here – she used it on her small daughter. It not only helps to ease these irritating little knots out, but it seems to slow their recurrence.

Jane

Thank you for the advice. It doesn't seem to matter what comb/ brush we use, the horrible knots just kept on appearing. OH spent ages on Friday evening combing Nutmeg, sprayed her with a spray on/ leave in conditoner - a mild one made for human babies - and then dematted about 101 ( not really that many but it seemed like it at the time) knots from her tummy etc. Checked her yesterday and again this morning when she had her Sunday grooming session and there were definitely fewer knots developed and those that were there seemed to 'let go' of Nutmeg's coat much, much more easily. We're going to try using the spray maybe once a week and see what happens.

Oh and the bonus is that her 'undercarriage' feels lovely and silky and she smells beautiful
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsonlyme View Post
    Thank you for the advice. It doesn't seem to matter what comb/ brush we use, the horrible knots just kept on appearing. OH spent ages on Friday evening combing Nutmeg, sprayed her with a spray on/ leave in conditoner - a mild one made for human babies - and then dematted about 101 ( not really that many but it seemed like it at the time) knots from her tummy etc. Checked her yesterday and again this morning when she had her Sunday grooming session and there were definitely fewer knots developed and those that were there seemed to 'let go' of Nutmeg's coat much, much more easily. We're going to try using the spray maybe once a week and see what happens.

Oh and the bonus is that her 'undercarriage' feels lovely and silky and she smells beautiful
    What is the product you are using, might be worth a try.

God knows I've paid through the nose for some canine products and they don't make much difference, and one v.expensive spray conditioner made Cocoa's coat sticky - and literally changed the colour of her ear feathers (dulled and darkened them - on a show day!) not what I was looking for exactly.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Itsonlyme View Post
    Nutmeg is at last growing a bit of a longer coat. Everyone tells me it is so 'fluffy' due to her being spayed last year. We groom her almost every day but no matter how thoroughly she is combed we keep finding "knots"/ "tags"/ "lugs" or whatever else they are called up and down the country. Basically it looks like a small lump of felt and takes ages to 'tease' out. They are mainly under her arms or on her tummy. Is there any easy way to remove them ( short of cutting them out which I really don't want to do) or do we just have to continue using a dematting comb and hope eventually her hair grows long enough to sort itself out
    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks.
    Hi I have tried all sorts of sprays and potions some very expensive and the best one I have found that really works for me is Johnsons baby no tangles leave in conditioner spray, after the boys have had a bath and have been dried I make sure there are no knots i then spray a light mist of the conditioner and comb through the coat, next time I groom very few if any knots are there and those that are comb out easily, I reapply a light mist every time they are groomed .......added bonus they smell nice lol
    Jenny and all the boys at Kailyflee Cavaliers x

The one I have is called l'oreal "Kids tangle tamer" for wet or dry hair "burst of sweet pear".

I love it!

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by jenny View Post
    Hi I have tried all sorts of sprays and potions some very expensive and the best one I have found that really works for me is Johnsons baby no tangles leave in conditioner spray, after the boys have had a bath and have been dried I make sure there are no knots i then spray a light mist of the conditioner and comb through the coat, next time I groom very few if any knots are there and those that are comb out easily, I reapply a light mist every time they are groomed .......added bonus they smell nice lol
    Thanks for that tip Jenny.

Your dogs look absolultey fabulous, so silky, shiney and not a hair out of place, a real credit to the work you put in to them. (I know .......... you've told me they don't look like that after a walk. )

Sue