Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you stop a dog from constantly sitting?

Question How do you stop a dog from constantly sitting?

Alfie has always instinctively lain down rather than sit. This obviously has its benefits in the ring as he remains standing, but after too many classes he will start to sit as tiredness starts to set in.

Lexie however is a different kettle of fish. She will sit without hesitation, but refuses to lay down for me She even sits when in the bath, in puddles and on wet grass.

With the summer and the associated dog shows coming - how can I get her to stop sitting all the time
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Blog Entries

Try gently placing the toe of your shoe or slipper uder her bottom while she is sitting, then while pushing her upwards give the 'stand' command.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Make it worthwhile to stand. Ignore sitting and don't make a fuss of her when she sits. Make a big fuss of her, talk to her etc, and say good girl 'stand' when she does stand and give her a treat................ Yes you will need to contantly have a pocket full of tasty bits of cheese, chicken scraps and such - just rememer to check your pockets every night, and esp. before you wash your trousers!!! or you will get things growing in them!! LOL

Oh and make her 'stand'............and nicely, for her dinner.
    She needs to get the message firmly in her brain that STANDING IS GOOD.
    Philippa

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hearthfriend View Post
    Oh and make her 'stand'............and nicely, for her dinner.
    She needs to get the message firmly in her brain that STANDING IS GOOD.
    Philippa
    Thanks, I'll try that

Difficult to get them to stand when they're sat outside waiting for the back door to be opened and I'm indoors, etc
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Teach her to sit - I know it sounds daft but every time she sits says 'sit'.
    Then - teach her to stand .. this is a completely different command.... and you are going to reward her for doing this. You can do it from 'sit' by moving a titbit forward until she's standing ...... dah de dah... hahaha (says me who has a 13 month old girl who has suddenly (Today) decided that the only way to show is to 'sit' in the ring. I've never taught her to sit!!!))

So I'm going to practice what I've just preached. hope it works...

Sue
    Last edited by Sue Sutcliffe; 01-29-2012 at 10:58 PM.

My dogs get all treats only in a stand (and a nice stand only) position. No stand no treats. It makes miracles.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

I feel for you, Coco also always sits in the ring! Just a quick step or two in the other direction gets her to stand up again, or putting a treat in front of her nose and pulling it out forward a bit.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

When I did obedience distance commands, we were taught to use a different tone of voice, but the dog's name ONLY for a stand.

For a sit, we'd say
    "SIT!" in a slightly high, short sharp tone.
    For down, it was a drawn out
    "Dowwwwwwn" in a lower tone, descending at the end of the word.
    And for stand, it was always the dog's name first, but also drawn out a bit and again a slightly higher tone, rising at the end of the "stand".
    "Madam, staaand"

We had been teaching the dogs to do this next to us, using titbits. To get them to sit, hold the titbit above their head so they have to sit and crane their head up, for a down it was almost to the floor, but for a stand it was at head level but moving the titbit slightly away from them. This meant they had to be on all four feet; then we just had to get them to stay still.

OK, this was for obedience, but the same principals apply: only reward the dog when he or she is doing the correct thing! They had to stay behind a line, so learnt not to move forward. It was good to see that as soon as you said the dog’s name, he or she was already preparing to stand – mine wasn’t the best, but she did it. Come to think of it, on this forum we have a very clever person who taught obedience to Boxers, not a breed known for ease of training.

You saw Guillaume with Bandit: every time Bandit did the right thing, Guillaume gave him a titbit!

Jane

When I did obedience training in the 1980s we were taught initially to "lift" our dogs into a standing position by pressing a finger under the thigh at the point where leg meets tummy - this did actually tend to make them stand up!. Most of the training involved manipulating the dog into position, but I'm not sure that this is the approved method any more.

I've done some clicker training more recently with Robs and Herbie, and the technique for getting them to stand is very similar to what Jane has explained. From sitting, lure them forward with a treat at nose level and click as soon as their bum leaves the ground - then treat. When they start getting the message, gradually delay clicking/treating until they are fully standing. The clicker is a just a fast (and very distinct!) way of signalling to the dog that it's doing something good that you'll reward it for. When they're consistent you can introduce a hand signal and eventually a verbal command, and phase out the clicker Oddly enough I've only just started working on "stand" with Robs and Herbie: Herbie (who's not the brightest of my two) got the idea quite quickly, Robbie is very bright but a bit too eager and excitable and it's taking him longer to actually cotton on that he needs to get his rear off the ground!

If you'd like to have a go, clickers don't cost very much ( £2-£3 ipwards, try eBay!) - the Company of Animals/Clix ones usually come with a little instruction booklet; but all you really need to do is introduce Lexie to the click sound and reward her so that she learns that a click = a good thing (they call this "charging the clicker"). The main thing when actually training is to use the clicker immediately she starts to do what you want - in this case (start to) stand, and then reward asap afterwards. Try here for one site that has lessons and videos - read the Clicker and the Sit, Down & Stand lessons.

HTH, Rosemary

PS It always pisses me off somewhat that training videos always show a dog that's obviously a model pupil, and not one that's a bit on the uptake or a bit naughty... and you begin to wonder what you're both doing wrong!