Question Marrow bones - with meat still on from the butchers

Does anyone give marrow bones to their dogs

Do you give it raw or do you cook it

How long do you let them chew or lick the bone per day or session

Do you keep it in the fridge or freezer between chews, or leave it out

Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

I have done so but not a lot. My dogs love them. I've heard raw is best--the bones splinter when cooked. I like to retrieve them after an hour or so and put back into the fridge. I'd be interested in knowing what others do. I've heard some butchers will cut slices of bones for smaller dogs but haven't found one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOutWest View Post
    I have done so but not a lot. My dogs love them. ....

Do you leave all the fat on, or trim back to the bone, WayOutWest

Lexie spent her time with it ripping off frozen meat and then the fat as it defrosted. Hours later and she brought the fat back up on my lounge carpet

Maybe today she will show more interest in licking instead or ripping
    Last edited by Mark Ellis; 02-10-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Mine get raw bones almost daily.(Beef back bones and ribs mostly)
    I do trim the fat and meat and I only leave a little left.. It´s amazing how much of the bone they still chew and eat....
    Since I began feeding raw bones a few years ago,I have notices a HUGE difference with their teeth... all white and sparkling now and I dont have to brush as often.
    Mine get to have their bones in the mornings while Im doing housechores ,I then take the leftovers (if any) and put them in the freezer again.
    Sara@ Islandica
    http://islandica.123.is/

My mother used to get marrow bones for her German Shepherd. ALWAYS raw; as wayourwest said, the bones splinter when cooked. When I had a friendly butcher in the UK, he'd cut a bone into shorter lengths, easier for the Cavaliers, but that was a long time ago. The dogs loved them, spent ages gnawing them even after all the marrow had long gone. Good for keeping teeth clean, too.

Jane

Smile

Lexie finally found the marrow and got stuck in to licking that for a while, but then went back to ripping fat off "Lexie, lick it"

Alfie was happy to lick the marrow off my finger tips, but wasn't too keen to go near the knuckle due to Lexie being in the same room - even when I was gripping her whilst sitting on the settee

Guess I should cut most of that fat off it then

I would cut off the fat. They don't really need it. I think the best part of the bones is the chewing activity, and the marrow. The only issues I have with them is the mess they leave on rugs and that dogs seem to behave differently when raw meat/bones are involved...get more territorial and resource-guarding...But they do love them so I suppose I should break down and get more...The ones I've bought didn't have much meat on them so there wasn't anything to remove. However once I found some nice veal shanks at a reasonable price, so cut off the meat (and cooked it for my dinner!) and gave the bones to the dogs.

Smile

Obviously I've never had one before, so wasn't sure what to do with it I went to the butchers to try and get cow's hooves because they both love that. Lexie in particular will spend hours gnawing on a hoof.

A friend has suggested placing the bone on a rubber mat so that the mat can be washed afterwards. So I've turned one of my door mats over and put the bone on that to limit the mess zone

The biggest issue with Lexie is that she loves to rip rather than gnaw or chew, so I've been giving her some "Lick it" commands every time she tried to rip the fat off today.

But I'll remove the bulk of the fat when I put it out next.

WHAT A HUGE BONE!!! Lucky Lexie
    I think raw bones are really good for them but I do balk at the mess.
    Definatley cut the fat off it.
    Give to to the garden birds they really need it in this cold weather
    I leave them for about 40mins then put them back in the fridge in a plastic bag. You can get smaller morrow bones form the centre of the bone (ie. not the chunky ends) as they are a bit easier to manage. or rib bones - they eat the lot when they get those.
    Philippa

Your Lexie is very cute! I trim the excess fat off. Too much of the fat will make my dogs have loose stools.