Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marrow bones - with meat still on from the butchers

Cool

Having trimmed the excess fat off, Alfie and Lexie are left to give the bone a good licking

Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Think I will buy Henry a nice big bone to chew now I know more about it. Don't think he has ever had one so he will be in for a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
    Think I will buy Henry a nice big bone to chew now I know more about it. Don't think he has ever had one so he will be in for a treat!
    It's been suggested to buy a smaller bone than the one shown. Perhaps with knuckles on each end. This massive joint was a nightmare due to it being covered in fat and sinu that just wouldn't come off. Trying to cut off the excess was impossible and I ended up with the fridge stinking.

Second tip is to lay a rubber backed door mat on the floor, but lay it rubber side up to stop the floor getting all sticky

Try a Stagbar instead of bones , no smells, no fat, and they still have the marrow goodness, no runny tums either I wish I had found them years ago!

Alison.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavielove View Post
    Try a Stagbar instead of bones , no smells, no fat, and they still have the marrow goodness, no runny tums either I wish I had found them years ago!

Alison.
    What size do you buy for your dogs, and how long do they last? Also do you know if they can be bought from retail outlets on just online?

Thanks
    Sue

Coco loves raw marrow bones, but will not eat them too cold. She shows interest only after it has been sitting out for 30mins or so... maybe the smell?
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

I finally found a good source for bones so have been giving to both dogs regularly. The store I shop at sells beef femurs frozen. I asked the butcher and he very nicely sliced them into pieces about two inches wide, just right for Tess (Ckcs) and not too small for Tucker (golden Ret). I keep and give them frozen. I like to send Tucker outside with his and give Tess hers in the kitchen. Once the marrow's gone they can chew on them in the house. There's been no mess and no fuss and they both love chewing on them.

Sue, I found the best price on ebay, the small size which are perfect are £3.99 with free P&P. Happy Tailwaggers were the sellers, if you have an eBay account just search Stagbars and you will find them. Haven't seen them in any shops yet. You can also order and get all the info about the product at:
    www.puredog.co.uk

Alison.

I got some pigs ears for Herbie and Robs today - all they had in the local shop other than tiny raw hide chews. They've not had these before and were a little suspicious when I offered them. Herbie after a bit of sniffing then took his piece quite happily and I put the other down for Robs. A few minutes later I looked to see if he's taken it and there was my normally bold and greedy boy acting as if it was some fearsome monster attacking him - creeping forward the leaping back as if it had bitten him on the nose! The last time I saw one of my Cavaliers acting like this was years ago when a young Russie met a hedgehog nose to nose for the first time! I was laughing too much to go upstairs to get my camera...

Rosemary

Smile Deer antlers

Quote Originally Posted by Cavielove View Post
    Sue, I found the best price on ebay, the small size which are perfect are £3.99 with free P&P. Happy Tailwaggers were the sellers, if you have an eBay account just search Stagbars and you will find them. Haven't seen them in any shops yet. You can also order and get all the info about the product at:
    www.puredog.co.uk

Alison.
    Searched for stagbars and eBay kept defaulting to starwars grrrrr

Couldn't find Happy Tailwaggers on eBay, but did find maddex-pets from cornwall who sell Scottish antlers. And they dispatch post free, compared to Puredog slapping £2.50 postage on top.

As these are sold by weight, one wonders if cutting a large one in to three creates three small ones

Maddex-pets' advert states

Large Deer Antler Dog Chew

Weight 151-230g - suitable for medium to large dogs.

The Antos Antler is the latest 100% Natural chew for dogs! Low in fat and suitable for dogs with sensitive tummies.

Antos Antlers are from Scottish highland deer, and have simply been cleaned (with no chemicals) and cut to various sizes/weights for dogs to chew on. Sharp points have been removed to make them safe. Antlers are a healthy chew packed full of minerals and calcium. As they are made of bone they are extremely long lasting - weeks rather than days.

Antler dog chews are safe, don't splinter or chip or cause blockages and they don’t contain nylon like some other long lasting chews.

The Antos Antler satisfies a dog’s natural urge to chew, whilst also helping to strengthen and clean teeth.

There is no odour from antler, and as your dog grinds down the antler over time, there is also very little mess.

Being a naturally grown chew, no two antlers are the same. Some are a harder dark brown colour whilst others are a softer greyish/white. They also come in various shapes and sizes, keeping your dog interested for longer. The antlers are graded by weight and not by length or width so no two will look the same.

Antos deer antler chews come from a sustainable, natural resource.

Always supervise your dog when they are enjoying their chew and take the deer antler away once it becomes small enough to swallow.

Composition:

Ash 53% Protein 32% Moisture 14% Fat 0.1% Fibre 3%

Calcium 21g/100g Phosphorous 10g/100g Magnesium 26mg/100g Iron 998 ppm Sodium 0.4% Potassium 0.02%