Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you groom your dogs? A mini-poll

Question How often do you groom your dogs? A mini-poll

I've never been sure how often to groom Tess. I confess she gets a thorough comb-out and "puppy cut" done by professionals twice a year. But her ears are often caked at the tips. And she doesn't like her toes trimmed. So it occurred to me to ask here how often you groom your dogs:
    a. Thoroughly all-over?
    b. Bath with shampoo, etc.?
    c. The ears?
    d. Toenails?

I enjoy grooming Tess, but she's not so fond of it. Unless I give out treats while doing it. But since she's on a diet, I'm trying to cut back on the treats. So any advice is welcomed!

I groom mine (6 Cavaliers & one Sheltie) every day, thoroughly all over and it takes a good hour or so for them all, roughly 10 mins each. I keep on top of it by doing it every day and it makes it easier in the long run.
    They are bathed every 2nd month. Ears and nails checked daily whilst grooming and ears are cleaned with ear cleaner once a week. Nails are clipped when needed, paw wax on pads when needed.Teeth are brushed followed by mouth wash twice a week. I just like to see my lot well groomed and looking nice.
    I love grooming and find it very relaxing and a total swith off, it's me and them out in the summerhouse with the radio on, a cup of tea, peace and quiet and in all weathers. Time well spent!
    I often think it would have been a lovely career choice.

Have you tried a gentle massage with Tess before you start, just around her shoulders to calm her down and ease any tension that she might be feeling. Do you tell her what you are doing when you are going over her. I always say ears, tail, paws, legs etc when I am grooming that area and I keep the routine the same starting at the top and working along, they know what is coming and are confident with it.
    Go back to basics for a while without the treats and gain her confidence in you just touching her, just be gentle and patient.
    When my fosters come in they are terrified of a brush, dryer, clippers, even being put on a table for grooming. With time they soon love it with all that gentle handling and fussing, they come around quickly.
    Alison.

Alison.

Our dogs are groomed daily. Dennis tends to do them mostly. well more to the point he is in charge of teeth. They are done daily.
    There is no set pattern for bathing the dogs. The show team are bathed whenever they are going to a show, otherwise I suppose it could be monthly for the other dogs.
    Try using a Snood when feeding. This will enable you to keep their ears from falling into the food. We tend to feed naturally so there is always wet food. Meat and biscuits etc. If however you feed a commercial dry, then I suppose there is not much need for a snood.

You are quite right about it being a peaceful restful time when grooming, made all the more easier if you can sit whilst doing them.

Tina

Thanks for the tips. She does eat dry food, with salmon oil added. Perhaps the oil is what is getting the tips all caked. I think I'll try a snood. I just looked at Google and saw a simple pattern to make one. My Golden really likes being groomed but their coats are so different. And I think Tess's skin is much more sensitive to tugging and pulling. I try not to tug, and to break matts apart with my fingers (she doesn't get very many), but she's never really enjoyed grooming as much as he does.

Snoods are really good for this purpose. I "discovered" them only recently but now I use them for feeding time.
    I bath my dogs every week, sometimes every two if I don't have time. I just like freshly bathed dogs. Personally, I would never get any puppy cut on my Cavaliers even if they were pets and I didn't show them. I got Cavaliers because I loved how they look (of course, I love their personality) and the puppy cut really changes that look. Of course, I know it is a preference. I also don't know how easy it is to deal with a dog that has been neutered.
    Last edited by eJoanna; 02-18-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

How long is a piece of string??? We don't have regualr grooming sessions, but I have a brush and comb on the coffee table and whoever is on my lap in the evening gets groomed! Which means most of them most nights.

Baths are a variable: always before a show, but Hazel, whose coat stays gorgeous, doesn't get bathed more than about four or five times a year. Vincent has one every month. Despite all the claims of the shampoo manufacturers, I am still of the "old school" that says that good brushing with a pure bristle brush should keep the coat in good condition. Of course, if they come in muddy or roll in something, that is a different story! I am lucky in that neither boy pees up his front legs, they both lift their legs VERY high and look as if they are performing the third arabesque ballet move.

I like Cowboy Magic as a shampoo, but even then use a human conditioner as all the dog conditioners I've tried seem to leave the coat sticky, however well rinsed. We do have VERY hard water here.

Jane

Default grooming

I groom my dog daily. Sometimes a quick brush, but at least 3 times per week, she has to have the full works, brush comb rake etc etc, she has a lot of fur and quickly gets knotty and tangled. Once a month I trim her nails and hair at/in pads/toes. Ears are cleaned once a week. She has only two baths per year (set in stone) any additions are because they are needed, e.g. winter mud or rolling in something.
    I have always wondered if I bath her enough? any comments?

Blog Entries

I groom one dog each evening of the week, then give them all a thorough going over on Sundays. Holly's nails have to be cut at the vets because of her illness. Little Joe is the other buggy user, so I use the Dremel like thing whenever his nails are long and sharp. The others rarely need them done as they do regular road work.

No snoods as I feed dry food to them all.

Bubbles is the one I show at the moment, so she is bathed before each show. The others only get done if they have rolled in something smelly or just get smelly. Hardly ever in fact.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

I brush once a week, sometimes more often depending on if Coco's ears are looking tangled. I use a snood for meals and that helps a great deal. But sometimes a small stick or piece of bush gets in the hair and can cause a tangle. The rest of her body seldom matts.. maybe once in a while in her armpits, but that only happens if I go more than 1 week without brushing

Full on baths I will do on average about once a month unless we are showing. We always do a full bath the day before a show, but only once for that show weekend if it is more than a 1 day event.

I trim nails 1 - 2x a month, and brush teeth weekly (when I brush the coat out I will usually also brush the teeth). I also scale the teeth with a dental pick.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Forgot to add that I clean out the ears after every bath and after swimming. Yes Coco likes to swim
    Alisha
    &
    Coco