Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expecting Too Much For 8 Weeks?

Question Expecting Too Much For 8 Weeks?

Before looking too much into breeders and going to meet with some, we've been researching several positive-reinforcement training methods and trainers such as Zak George, Kikopup (on YouTube) and Ian Dunbar.

One of Ian's books, Before You Get Your Puppy, covers some things about what you should expect when visiting a potential breeder and monitoring a potential pup's progress. I'm wondering if what he says is the norm and to be expected or if he's asking a bit too much? He says the following about your potential pup at 8 weeks of age:

At the very least, your puppy should come, sit, lie down, and roll over when requested...
    This seems a bit too hopeful to me - hence asking here as I'm sure plenty of you have experience in this area! Thanks

Cavalier pups mature at a slower rate than big dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by davemcnally View Post
    Before looking too much into breeders and going to meet with some, we've been researching several positive-reinforcement training methods and trainers such as Zak George, Kikopup (on YouTube) and Ian Dunbar.

One of Ian's books, Before You Get Your Puppy, covers some things about what you should expect when visiting a potential breeder and monitoring a potential pup's progress. I'm wondering if what he says is the norm and to be expected or if he's asking a bit too much? He says the following about your potential pup at 8 weeks of age:

This seems a bit too hopeful to me - hence asking here as I'm sure plenty of you have experience in this area! Thanks
    Dave,
    You have it right! Your heading says it all!
    Elspeth

Thanks, I thought as much!

I wouldn't have expected this much. I'd be expecting to teach these things myself once pup comes to live with us!

Wink

For goodness sake let him be a babe first, 8 weeks is far too young and bearing in mind he(she)need to get used to the surroundings and being without mum. there willl be plenty of time later.
    Betty

Quote Originally Posted by betty storar View Post
    For goodness sake let him be a babe first, 8 weeks is far too young and bearing in mind he(she)need to get used to the surroundings and being without mum. there willl be plenty of time later.
    Betty
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of it this way

Quote Originally Posted by davemcnally View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of it this way
    My puppies don't leave home until they're at least 12 weeks old. There's no way an 8 week old Cavalier puppy can do anything on command
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

My Alfie is 12 weeks old today. He is slowly learning to sit but is so excited at the prospect of a treat in my hand that he's all over the place to do anything!!!!!
    Fiona

B/W Collie - Danny DOB 02/08/2010
    Ruby Cavalier - Alfie DOB 02/12/2011

Our puppy classes in our training club start with pups at 12-16 weeks old and we only have six in each class. By the end of the course which is 8wks long most pups will know sit, down, and have a good recall at the end of it. The rest is learnt in the follow on beginners classes.
    Different breeds can do things faster than others ... Collies and Springers always excell and so do the Cavaliers!
    To have a sociable happy friendly puppy is the most important goal one without nerves or fear. Gentle training that is fun is all that is needed at this very young age.

Alison.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinekisses View Post
    Cavalier pups mature at a slower rate than big dogs.
    I don't really agree: I've had, over years, a German Shepherd, a Mastiff and a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and have had friends who breed or bred Standard Schnauzers, Great Danes, German Shorthaired Pointers, Dobermanns and a couple of other big breeds. My personal observation is that Cavalier puppies tend to mature faster, both mentally and physically, than the bigger breeds.

There are others on this forum who have also had/have big breeds: I'd be interested to know their thoughts and observations!

Jane