Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else's dog chew their own ears?

Default Does anyone else's dog chew their own ears?

Because my max does.
    I'm surprised he has any ear hair left. He chews it every day. He chews our other dog's ears too, or tries to, but she doesn't allow it so instead he chews her collar.
    I've never had a chewer before. How can I stop it?

You could try a snood! In the other thread you asked what it is so this is the perfect place to explain.

A snood is basically a bonnet to keep the ears back and out of the way. I use it every meal time so Coco does not get her ears dirty. It also is useful for dogs that have ears so long they drag on the ground.

You could also spray bitter apple on the collar and ends of the ear hair as a taste deterrent.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Your photo's what actually inspired this post. I was hoping there was something I didn't know about and here it is.

Where can I buy a snood? Are they easily shook off? I will try bitter apple too. Poor missy's never had much growth on her ears without Max chewing on them.

I just googled it. I can't believe this is something I didn't know about. Thanks!

Check out this site:

http://www.spanielbowls.com/www.span...m/Welcome.html

The bowls and snoods are home made by this lady and they are fabulous. I have a bowl and a snood from her, well worth it.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Both of mine do it--on each other! I've tried snoods but they just get pulled off by the other dogs, and I found myself having to adjust the snoods dozens of times a day (because they keep falling off after playtime, etc)! So I've been spraying bitter apple on their ears now.

Works like a charm! The dogs HATE the taste of bitter apple... and whenever I see them chewing or pulling on each other's ears, I come out with the bottle and they both scamper away because that's how much they hate it, lol.

Ha ha lucidity. That sounds like the reaction I get when I bring out the hoover. That look then RUN!

I can't imagine why they would want to chew big hairy ears. Do yours make the noise? Big chomping noise. It's horrible. Haha.

I make snoods! Had many satisfied customers over the years.PM me if you would like one.
    Regards Carol

Some dogs aren’t deterred by Bitter Apple, but another VERY good product is Mennen stick deodorant for men in the green colour - dogs hate the taste! The downside is that it does bleach the hair a bit - it contains aluminium, but then so do most deodorants and antiperspirants.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Smith View Post
    Ha ha lucidity. That sounds like the reaction I get when I bring out the hoover. That look then RUN!

I can't imagine why they would want to chew big hairy ears. Do yours make the noise? Big chomping noise. It's horrible. Haha.
    LOL, same thing here! Cadence would quickly run away and hide in the furthest corner whenever he sees me getting the vacuum out but Lyra doesn't care and tries to play with it.

YES they do! It's this icky salivary sound and whenever I hear it, out comes the bitter apple.. lol