Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lolas eyes are all red! Help!

Default Lolas eyes are all red! Help!

Hey guys.. Lola is 14months now and ive noticed recently her eyes have been a little gungy and stained so ive just been cleaning them with salt water. Tonight I noticed that the whites of both her eyes were bright red and really sore looking. She was also panting quite a lot.. Do you think she maybe has an infection or some kind of irritation? We havent changed washing powder or anything like that so Im a bit stumped as to what to do.. Anyone experienced similar?

If they are red and producing gunky discharge, I would take her to the vet. There is likely an infection
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

I agree take her to the vets it sounds like an infection.My Boys eyes were staining and runny when he was a young lad but I left them alone and they corrected themselves. I would leave off the salt and water until you see the vet.Hope they are not too sore bless her.

Quote Originally Posted by nursesophie89 View Post
    Hey guys.. Lola is 14months now and ive noticed recently her eyes have been a little gungy and stained so ive just been cleaning them with salt water. Tonight I noticed that the whites of both her eyes were bright red and really sore looking. She was also panting quite a lot.. Do you think she maybe has an infection or some kind of irritation? We havent changed washing powder or anything like that so Im a bit stumped as to what to do.. Anyone experienced similar?
    Personally I wouldn't use salt water to bathe eyes. Cold tea has always done the trick for me .... we have a b&t girl who seems to suffer from eye allergies - her eyes are occasionally sore and very red and as an interim treatment before I take her to our vet I treat her eyes with boiling water infused with a tea bag and left to cool which I drop under the lower lid and gently massage. This often clears it up completely. Give it a go and then visit your vet if it doesn't work.

Sorry Denise,

I'd take ANY dog, or person, with red eyes to a vet, or a doctor. Could be simple but equally could be very serious.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Denise View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use salt water to bathe eyes. Cold tea has always done the trick for me .... we have a b&t girl who seems to suffer from eye allergies - her eyes are occasionally sore and very red and as an interim treatment before I take her to our vet I treat her eyes with boiling water infused with a tea bag and left to cool which I drop under the lower lid and gently massage. This often clears it up completely. Give it a go and then visit your vet if it doesn't work.
    What kind of tea? Black?
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    What kind of tea? Black?
    I use a strong English breakfast tea (without milk and sugar !)

I agree with Jane god knows what damage you can do messing about with delicate things like eyes etc. Take her to the vets.
    Betty

We've been bathing her eyes with lukewarm water, and also tea and they've cleared up quite well. Our vets is shut until tuesday and when we called the emergency line they said it wasnt an 'emergency' so we had to wait or pay £100 before they'd even see her!!! MADNESS! So shes going to our own vet on tueday but thankfully seems to be getting much better, larking about like normal! Thanks so much to everyone, I do think I stress myself and her out so much!

Our 14 month old also has had red eyes with gunky discharge at times.
    We got in touch with a friend who's a vet last week and she suggested he was probably just tired after our eventful weekend.
    Yesterday we went into the vets and they told us to leave it 2 weeks and see if it changes. He's in for his booster in 2 weeks anyway so they will take it from their if they are still red.
    They didn't seem at all conserned and didn't even charge us for the visit.