Thread: Toilet Troubles

Default Toilet Troubles

Wonder if anyone can help...my 7 mth old ruby cavalier Farley will not wee or poo anywhere except in our back garden....this is all well and good apart from when we go on holiday then its a nightmare...I think the problem stems from he was very poorly from 8wks old and could only go outside at 19 wks due to only being able to have his vaccinations once he was better. Ive tried takin him for a walk as soon as we get up so i know he will defo want a wee and a poo but he will hold it until we get back then cry to go into the garden to do his toilet....! Anyone got any ideas on how to get him to go outside.....?

I don't have an answer for you; but I did have a dog puppy a number of years ago who was exactly the same. I would take him for walks and he would only go in the garden. I took him to shows, and he would hold himself until he got home.

It was not until we went to stay with my mum for Christmas (he was probably about 8-9 month old by then) He held himself for so long - like about 16hrs, that he eventually wet himself while asleep on mum's knee.

After that he just seemed to grow out of it; it was really weird. I think just give him time.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by HipDiva View Post
    Wonder if anyone can help...my 7 mth old ruby cavalier Farley will not wee or poo anywhere except in our back garden....this is all well and good apart from when we go on holiday then its a nightmare...I think the problem stems from he was very poorly from 8wks old and could only go outside at 19 wks due to only being able to have his vaccinations once he was better. Ive tried takin him for a walk as soon as we get up so i know he will defo want a wee and a poo but he will hold it until we get back then cry to go into the garden to do his toilet....! Anyone got any ideas on how to get him to go outside.....?
    Oh dear, you have all my sympathy! I have 2 ruby boys here who were exactly the same as your little man - maybe it's a ruby thing?
    The only consolation I can offer you is, that he will get better as he gains more confidence. I am convinced it is a confidence thing - in other words, lack of same.
    I travelled to Holland with one of mine - and he did nothing for 48 hours, despite all attempts, then eventually he did 'go' - in the house, of course, and couldn't stop!
    We didn't scold him, and, after that he was fine, and performed outside to order, as soon as he had worked out that it was OK to do so, and where.

My young boy(18 months) has only just begun to 'go' on his walks. Up until now, he has usually kept everything until getting home.
    It is not that uncommon, and my best advice would be not to worry about it - I do know that is easier said than done, but he will pick up on your stress, which won't help.
    If you had another dog (bitch is better) who is happy to pee on a walk, it will not be too long before he is weeing on top of what she has done - dogs can't help themselves.

I wish you luck!
    Do let us know how he gets on.
    Elspeth

Blog Entries

I had the same problem with one of my boys until he was about 12 months old. Coming back from a day out one evening he just couldn't hold it any longer so peed against a wall. He was okay about doing it away from home after that.

I have a bitch now who much preers to toilet in the garden, but if she gets desperate she will go in a convenient place outside a show venue. She is another tricolour, so it's definitely not limited to the rubies.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

My rubie Alfie will not go out with the garden either! He goes walks with our other dog who will happily wee everywhere and anywhere so I hope he will follow suit! Yesterday as we got into our front garden he squatted so got mega praise as he's always only ever gone in the back garden.
    Fiona

B/W Collie - Danny DOB 02/08/2010
    Ruby Cavalier - Alfie DOB 02/12/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Frogkid View Post
    My rubie Alfie will not go out with the garden either! He goes walks with our other dog who will happily wee everywhere and anywhere so I hope he will follow suit! Yesterday as we got into our front garden he squatted so got mega praise as he's always only ever gone in the back garden.
    Looks like he's getting there Fiona. Don't despair, it will come right, with time.
    Elspeth

I wonder if it's partly a security issue, and some dogs feel safer going in familiar surroundings?

Herbie took a fair while before he was prepared to wee anywhere other than the back garden - and he's a black & tan. My husband considered it a landmark event when he finally wee'd on one of his walks! So I'd agree, just give Farley time... My previous two (Ruby) boys would always rush out to go in the back garden before they went on their walk, but they had no hesitation in performing when they were out either.

Rosemary

The first one of mine who went to Sweden travelled with her new owners by ferry, a 24 hour crossing, and you have to include check in time etc. She did not wee or poo from the time she left our house until they had been through customs in Sweden, quite a long time as she had to have a blood test for leptospirosis; and travelled a few kilometres until they found a convenient place to stop, where there was grass. They said it was a flood, but she hadn’t seemed desperate. It must have been more than 36 hours. This wasn't because she was used to only grass at home; she would go anywhere. I just think it was strange surroundings that had restrained her. She was ruby.

Tulsa, black and tan, would not go when on a lead for her first few years. I took her to one show where I’d left the house at 5 a.m. and she was perfectly happy all day, but refused to pee or poo. I stayed at a hotel the night after the show, walked her round and round for an HOUR and she still wouldn’t go. Went to a restaurant; she went to sleep. About 11 p.m. the hotel had closed the gates and there were no other dogs around so I let her off the lead, and she wandered about for another ten minutes or so before squatting.

If you have more than one dog or bitch, dogs will almost always follow where a bitch has been, bitches usually follow another bitch but to get a bitch to follow a dog is a little more difficult. However, when dogs get to lifting their legs, then they’ll go anywhere!

Jane

Blog Entries

If you have more than one dog or bitch, dogs will almost always follow where a bitch has been, bitches usually follow another bitch but to get a bitch to follow a dog is a little more difficult.

Yes, my 15 month old blenheim bitch initally had problems going on lead. Now it's any place, anytime. When ya gotta go you gotta go!!