Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross/Designer breeds

Default Cross/Designer breeds

A recent study conducted by JAC Oliver & DJ Gould suggests that the incidence of MRD in Labradoodles is HIGHER than in either the labrador or the toy, minature or standard poodle, and the incidence of cataract is roughly the same as the labrador the full report can be found in the veterinary Record.

So that shots holes in the theory that crosses are healthier !!!
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Quote Originally Posted by bridgette View Post
    A recent study conducted by JAC Oliver & DJ Gould suggests that the incidence of MRD in Labradoodles is HIGHER than in either the labrador or the toy, minature or standard poodle, and the incidence of cataract is roughly the same as the labrador the full report can be found in the veterinary Record.

So that shots holes in the theory that crosses are healthier !!!
    No surprises there then Bridgette. Obviously little or no health testing done.
    When I meet a 'Doodle' owner, I always like to ask if they saw the mother of their pup - usually 'yes'. If she was, say, a Lab, I ask the doodle owner "so why did this lady stop breeding Labs"?
    (I know it's a bit naughty, but can't resist it).

Response is usually a blank stare - I hope it causes them to think? But I doubt it.
    Elspeth

About a mile up the lane, the people who used to have a little bad tempered terrier and a labrador (who was equally bad tempered, it has to be said - they had to put a fence up to stop it lunging at the occasional passer by) eventually lost them both to old age. So they spent £1,000 on a labradoodle.

Another neighbour, adamant and going on and on and on about buying a healthy dog from fully tested parents, when buying a labrador pup was told by the owner that it was a swimmer (both parents fully tested for everything going) so rather than realising it would get over it if treated correctly, decided to get one from another breeder across the road from the first, no health tests. Has the head of a mastiff, dreadful patellae and very fine boned legs. They also decided to 'rescue' a Newfoundland bitch some time later, apparently found wandering in a park in London by a niece of the Devonian lady they bought it from. She has fits.

Another neighbour started off with a fully tested black lab bitch from a very respected and well known breeder some 15 years or so ago, and has bred down ever since, crossing to working Cockers amongst others. He knows that because the progeny from one of his bitches were most of them undershot that there is no point in breeding the bitch again to a different dog.

Me? They all think I'm mad, and anyway, what do I know?
    Sheena Stevens

I bumped into a woman I vaguely recognised this morning, waiting in a queue in a shop. She asked if I was going to Libourne show, so I realised the connection was dog shows and then remembered; she has an Irish Wolfhound. "How old is he now?" Nine. And he has a good heart. Dilated cardiomyopathy is a "common" cause of death in the breed.

We talked a bit about dogs generally and then she made a comment about the people with "batards" and wondered why anyone would want a dog whose family history was unknown and doubtful; much safer to buy a pedigree dog from respected breeders. Her comment even got a couple of approving nods from other people in the queue

Jane

A fool and it's money are easily parted!
    I don't understand how people can spend so much money on a dog when pounds are full of crossbreeds.
    You learn something new almost every week on facebook:
    A puppy buyer went puppyhunting for a cavalier..
    Found a breeder with a suitably reassuring posh name
    Price of pup £650.
    Pup not KC registered as they "prefer their puppies to go to family homes rather than breeders"
    Vaccinations extra of course..
    and the really,really,really special bit..
    Copies of health certs available to the buyer at £20 per cert
    Unbelievable..and they even have a waiting list!!!
    Sins

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

My two sisters Labradoodles, Barney Lottie and Izzie. Most of my immediate family are allergic to pets, so that was the reason they had them.

labradoodles.jpg

Blog Entries

The last woman I met bragging about the £1250 she paid for her Cavapoo got it full on from me, when I told her I thought that was a lot to pay for a mongrel. Bolting the stable door after the horse had fled of course, but oh boy did it make me feel better.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Hi Neil,

sorry to be negative, but if they got a Labradoodle because they don't shed, why didn't they just have Standard Poodles? They don't have to to be clipped in the lion cut and are, in my opinion, more intelligent and trainable than the average Labrador.

There are other breeds that don't shed.

Jane

Ive met a lot of "doodles"--they are very much in vogue here. They can be sweet but most are unremarkable ImHO. A very close fried has two she loves to talk about their "breeding." I keep my mouth shut for the sake of the friendship! I would never spend money on one. Most are irresponsibly bred. Again my HO. But I would rescue one if need be. Doodles--the new pooch frontier!

Smile

Just had to share this cartoon off Facebook

Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12