Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AHT report released on Dry Eye, Curly Coat and Episodic falling

Here is the report from AHT on episodic falling and curly-coat.

Frequency of two disease-associated mutations in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, June 2012. Animal Health Trust. http://www.cavalierhealth.org/images..._june_2012.pdf
    Rod Russell

I still have Windows XP, and the first link opened with no problems. I do upgrade Adobe every time it suggests it; a lot of the work I do means I need to be able to use .pdf files. I’ve also got a program that came free with something that can change .pdf files to text: it can be a bit laborious but also useful.

I WAS, though, disappointed that the study was only of the select group, and did not include the further 1,000 or so dogs that we know to have been tested.

It was interesting that episodic falling is more prevalent among wholecolours: I don’t think I’ve ever seen it, though it is always possible that I’ve seen a mild case but not known what it was.

Jane

Blog Entries

My girl Hattie had it from when she was a puppy. It was a mild form for her and I never worried about it. She would be out on the lead for a walk and suddenly go down on her side for a half minute or so, then get up, have a shake and start walking again as if nothing had happened.

I realise she was lucky and would never underestimate the seriousness of all the other cases who are more badly affected. I am so glad that AHT have developed such a simple swab test.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    I still have Windows XP, and the first link opened with no problems. I do upgrade Adobe every time it suggests it; a lot of the work I do means I need to be able to use .pdf files. I’ve also got a program that came free with something that can change .pdf files to text: it can be a bit laborious but also useful.Jane
    Hi Jane, My 5 years old laptop is fitted with XP, but I have never even thought of trying to access pdf files on it. I use it for teaching these days and have lent it to one of my learners until Wednesday. I will have a look at it's properties to see if it houses a 32 bit processor or not. If so, it's worth trying to update Adobe.

XP is still a good operating system so far as I am concerned, albeit very slow compared with Vista or W7.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

I am feeling rather out of date: my pc is 6 years old, Tom's PC, unused for two years, is ten years old and his laptop (qwerty keyboard so I don't use it much) is four years old!

I have, though, bought a colour laser printer and a brilliant separate scanner that has something like 4800 x 4800 resolution and improves almost everything just by scanning.

Jane

I can open it with no problems. Interesting but quite technical. Do i understand it correctly that they are saying 1 in 5 cavaliers is a carrier for episodic falling and 1 in 10 for curly coat ? Will the club now recommend everyone screen and breed according to their recommendations?
    Lucy

Quote Originally Posted by LucyW View Post
    I can open it with no problems. Interesting but quite technical. Do i understand it correctly that they are saying 1 in 5 cavaliers is a carrier for episodic falling and 1 in 10 for curly coat ? Will the club now recommend everyone screen and breed according to their recommendations?
    Lucy
    Lucy,
    Check the top of page 5, 2nd column, lines 1-2. I read: 19.1% are carriers of EF and 10.8% are carriers of CC/DE mutation.
    This is, of course, an estimate,using the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium equation (whatever that is), based on the results taken from the 2 sub-sets of samples.

As to your Q re what the breed clubs will do now - we shall have to wait and see, but now that we are all aware of the availability of the test, no sensible breeder would ignore it.
    Page 6, central column, takes this a step futher with the warning of the risk from removing carriers from a breeding pool. Certainly 'food for thought'.
    I thought the whole report, 'tho' technical was very clearly explained and well written.
    Lots to think about there.
    Elspeth

Elspeth
    According to the AHT there was a very good take up from club members requesting the recent promotional code. Whilst that has now ended the Cavalier club will be providing another code in a few weeks in order that any member of the clubs may benefit from the reduced cost.
    There will be a note on the club website when it will be available from me as before

Annette

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

I thought the whole report, 'tho' technical was very clearly explained and well written.
    I agree with you Elspeth.....
    All they need to do now is change the name of this 'Curly Coat Syndrome', and drop the 'dry eye' from the title. I think it will then make breeders more comfortable when telling a new owner their puppy is 'genetically clear of DE', when later in life that dog (as in any breed, or human for that matter) could well suffer from DE in old age which will require treatment, but of course that DE will have no connection what so ever to the gene for CC Syndrome...

Confused ..... They will be...

PS.... I encourage breeders to write in about this.... I'm still pushing it and have written again this week to the AHT .... we need that name to be changed and/or a caveat applied to match the wording for EFS...

Kind regards,
    Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica Hull; 06-23-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added a PS .....

Cavalier club member promotional code???

I thought that was just for the dogs invited to participate in the study? What was the price: I paid £48 each - did I miss out on a promo, or was that the promo price???

Jane