Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ignorance of some people

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinekisses View Post
    ... Personally I would much rather a vet push the early neuter than have an increase in dogs at the local shelter. Something my area struggles with.
    I suggest you double-check the source of that increase in dogs at your local shelters. In Florida, shelters refuse to disclose their actual intake numbers or the fact that large quantities of their dogs are imported from Puerto Rico, South America, and Africa. Selling dogs from these shelters has become a big, profitable business, and there aren't enough within the shelters' communities to make enough of that profit.

We -- the Florida Association of Kennel Clubs -- have filed a bill in the Florida legislature two years in a row, to force shelters to keep and disclose statistical records of their animals, including how many, from where, and how disposed of. The shelters and the H$U$ have successfully opposed the bills thus far, but next year we expect to get the law passed.
    Rod Russell

Rod your area must be getting our extra stray dogs. haha. I work with a local rescue that takes animals from our shelter. Some of our dog are transported to other states. It works quite well. The animal shelter can claim no-kill by sending their "unadoptables" to rescues around the US.

... The animal shelter can claim no-kill by sending their "unadoptables" to rescues around the US.
    Many USA jurisdictions are trying to impose no-kill shelters. The goal is to run up the numbers of sheltered dogs so high that public opinion would turn around towards wanting to ban breeding. It is one of H$U$'s tactics.
    Rod Russell

Rod your area must be getting our extra stray dogs. haha. I work with a local rescue that takes animals from our shelter. Some of our dog are transported to other states. It works quite well. The animal shelter can claim no-kill by sending their "unadoptables" to rescues around the US.
    I'm not referring to dogs from other USA jurisdictions; I'm talking about from off the continent; from poor countries without much if any companion animal health care. Many of these imports carry diseases from which our local animals are not protected.
    Rod Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ellis View Post
    And I know a number of owners who think that their complete dog is well behaved whilst it's sniffing around and mauling other people's dogs and weeing on the other owner's boots.
    Hmmm - neutering never made the slightest difference to my Rowan's "watering" abilities, he was just as prolific as his un-neutered brother, and had no compunction whatsoever about weeing all over his head if it was in the way...

Rosemary