View Poll Results: What type of vacuum would you replace you current bag-less vacuum with

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would buy another bag-less vacuum as I am impressed

9 45.00%
  • I would go back to a traditional bagged vacuum as I am not impressed

2 10.00%
  • I currently use a bag-less vacuum

14 70.00%
  • I currently use a traditional vacuum

6 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of vacuum would you buy next

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ellis View Post
    Just thought I'd ask as I need a new vacuum

If you have a bag-less vacuum right now, having seen so many Dysons at all the Household Recycling centres (the tip) - would you buy another bag-less machine, or go back to a traditional bagged one

Please comment on what make and model you would go for

Thanks
    Bag-less Attachment 6556 Attachment 6557traditional bagged
    I had a Dyson and replaced it with a Miele and would never go back. I then won an Electrolux which has a powered rotary head so gave my miele to my daughter and wished I had given her the new Electrolux.

Janine
    Janine King
    Nidra Cavaliers
    New Zealand

Actually the vacuum I really want is a Roomba...the robot vacuum. The one I want is programmable so it can do the work at the same time every day. I have always been quite skeptical but quite a few of the members of my Golden Retriever forum swear by them. They're not cheap but if the dog owners say they're worth the money, I'm going to try one out. When I get a job, that is. It's going to be my going back to work present to myself.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    ... I thought at first it was cheaper and more environmentally friendly to have a bagless machine, buit it's just so messy and I feel I need a bath after emptying it. ... Rosemary
    I know what you mean, Rosemary. I borrowed the neighbours VAX bagless and had to empty it twice, and then gave it a good clean before returning it. And then into the shower for me.

The neighbour now complains that it made their house smell of dogs as they vacuumed. My Hoover traditional did do a good job, and certainly cleaned wall to wall.

So I think (due to finances) that it's a new motor at £36 compared to a new machine at hundreds of pounds
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

I did buy a Dyson and it packed up a day, literally, after the guarantee ran out. I certainly would NEVER buy another; it wasn't nearly as good as my old Henry. In fact, I've recently bought a new Henry and it would have been a Miele cat and dog if I could find one in France. Which? Magazine gave the Miele a fantastic rating some years ago.

I bought my sister a Henry about 16 years ago and she still loves it.

My brother-in-law, who suffers from allergies, could not get the point of a bagless cleaner because of the problems of emptying them

I will admit that Henry isn’t wonderful on carpet, but I only have carpet in the bedrooms; all the other floors are tiled. The Dyson wasn’t even that good on the tiles and no better on the carpet.

Jane

I had a Dyson 01 for years and it has been fab, but it blew up about 3 weeks ago. Some one gave me a Dyson Animal but I hated it with avengence so gave that away. It was heavy and would not maneouvre. I have just been lent another Dyson 01 but it is no where near as good as mine was!
    I have heard some Dyson models are good and some are duds. The particular Animal I had was a dissaster. It was purple.
    I am just in the process of doing some research and i think i will go for the Meile or Sebo next. According to Which Magazine they are the best. It has been helpful reading everyone comments. thanks
    Philippa

Blog Entries

My Dyson is the purple one Philippa and I just love it. I do agree with everyone that it's messy to empty, but I have developed a routine where I slip on a cheap plastic disposeable glove and empty the cannister into a carrier bag held in place by hooking the bag over a doorhandle. So quick and easy once you have the knack.

I do like the ball because it helps me clean around furniture without any problems.

Sheena alerted me to the slicker brush attachment, which is great for getting rid of dead hair without making a mess. I think Bubbles quite enjoys being gone over with it.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

I've had two Meile Cat & Dogs cylinders in the last 10 years, and both were brilliant - but they both went in exactly the same way, and too expensive to repair. This was despite being religious with the filter changing etc ... Such a shame, as they had the benefits and feel of an upright, but with the ease of a cylinder, and I'd always hated cylinders before.

This time I've gone for the new Dyson ball cylinder (the articulated one) and although it is taking me time to get used to the head, which is floppier than the Meile, there is no doubt that it picks up far more dust. As well as the hair, it collects a very fine silty dust (my house must sound awful now!) that I never saw before. Yes - I often used to have to sift through bags looking for things I was convinced I'd sucked up, it's an OCD thing!!

I just wish they made a Meile Cat & Dog bagless!

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    My Dyson is the purple one Philippa and I just love it. I do agree with everyone that it's messy to empty, but I have developed a routine where I slip on a cheap plastic disposeable glove and empty the cannister into a carrier bag held in place by hooking the bag over a doorhandle. So quick and easy once you have the knack.

I do like the ball because it helps me clean around furniture without any problems.

Sheena alerted me to the slicker brush attachment, which is great for getting rid of dead hair without making a mess. I think Bubbles quite enjoys being gone over with it.
    My dyson aminal was purple but it did not have a ball, it was huge I could hardly lift it and it would not go under things and inbetween things, it would not run onto a rug with out being lifted, it must have been an older model than the ball ones.

[QUOTE=Ange;59902]I've had two Meile Cat & Dogs cylinders in the last 10 years, and both were brilliant - but they both went in exactly the same way, and too expensive to repair. This was despite being religious with the filter changing etc ... Such a shame, as they had the benefits and feel of an upright, but with the ease of a cylinder, and I'd always hated cylinders before.

This time I've gone for the new Dyson ball cylinder (the articulated one) and although it is taking me time to get used to the head, which is floppier than the Meile, there is no doubt that it picks up far more dust. As well as the hair, it collects a very fine silty dust (my house must sound awful now!) that I never saw before. Yes - I often used to have to sift through bags looking for things I was convinced I'd sucked up, it's an OCD thing!!

What exact model is it please Ange? I would prefer to have a bagless vacum but Which? says the latest Dyson (launched in Feb '12) is no better than the one before and much more expensive!

huh? I just tried to post this and a messaage came up saying the post was too small and I had to add 10 characters - what on e earth is it on about??

Quote Originally Posted by Hearthfriend View Post

What exact model is it please Ange? I would prefer to have a bagless vacum but Which? says the latest Dyson (launched in Feb '12) is no better than the one before and much more expensive!

huh? I just tried to post this and a messaage came up saying the post was too small and I had to add 10 characters - what on e earth is it on about??
    It's a DC39 Animal cylinder, the best thing is that it doesn't get stuck on furniture and in doorways! I find it much easier to manoeuvre than my previous Miele cleaner even though it weighs about the same, which is a boon for me with my dicky back and shoulders. I hadn't ever tried other cylinder models, though I once had a second-hand upright which I could barely move!

I actually got it when there was a 20% discount if you traded in your old cleaner - which meant I had somewhere to offload my old blown-up one and effectively get something for it!