Thread: Pra

Default Pra

I got this off the other forum. regarding the health testing clinic as Bagworth,

"There will also be an ophthalmologist checking primarily for Progressive Retinal Atrophy, which is hereditary in Cavaliers. "

Well anyone care to comment, as this is news to me !!!! as far as I'm aware the proven hereditary eye problems in Cavaliers are MRD & HC. PRA is a problem in the Cocker for which there is a DNA test, and is one of the major reasons why I'd fight cross breeding to them tooth & nail. I do know of a Cavalier who was exported to Sweden that was found to have PRA but that was 20 years ago.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Quote Originally Posted by bridgette View Post
    I got this off the other forum. regarding the health testing clinic as Bagworth,

"There will also be an ophthalmologist checking primarily for Progressive Retinal Atrophy, which is hereditary in Cavaliers. "

Well anyone care to comment, as this is news to me !!!! as far as I'm aware the proven hereditary eye problems in Cavaliers are MRD & HC. PRA is a problem in the Cocker for which there is a DNA test, and is one of the major reasons why I'd fight cross breeding to them tooth & nail. I do know of a Cavalier who was exported to Sweden that was found to have PRA but that was 20 years ago.

This from the KC Website: "

Eyes
    The main inherited genetic eye conditions in Cavaliers are cataract (Congenital and Juvenile), and multifocal retinal dysplasia. Fortunately, both diseases are now much less common as reputable breeders test their stock prior to breeding. However, you should check for the condition if you intend to breed from your Cavalier.

Health Screening is an important part of illuminating health problems in any animal, but should you have concerns about any area of your dog’s health always seek and follow professional advice from your vet. "

And they ought to know!
    Elspeth

According to the Canine Inherited Disorders Database -- http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/breed/cavalie...harles-spaniel -- there is an increased incidence of progressive retinal atrophy in the CKCS.
    Rod Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    According to the Canine Inherited Disorders Database -- http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/breed/cavalie...harles-spaniel
    Having read this list I think I must be living with a different breed

Veronica

Who is the opthalmologist doing the testing session at Bagworth ? Is this a problem that the Cavalier Clubs and Health representatives been informed of ? If so why are the members not aware of it ? Has it ever been reported in UK dogs, I have certainly never seen in mentioned in the CKCS reports on eye testing carried out at Club events ?
    Or is it simply a case of the CT forum getting it wrong again?
    Last edited by bridgette; 08-08-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

There are a number of different forms of PRA. by which I mean it happens in different breeds but with different genes responsible. It is an autosomic recessive gene.

Antagene, a genetic research company in France, offers genetic screening for carriers of PRA for these breeds; the same test for: Poodle, Cocker Spaniel, American Cocker Spaniel, Labrador, and Australian Shepherd. They don't give a price for that: it says "consult us".

They also offer another test for PRA, the same test for each of these breeds: Corgi, Irish Setter, Sloughi, Mastiff, German Shorthaired Pointer, Husky and Samoyed. The price was 65€ at November 2011.

There is, as yet, no test for the Golden Retriever: although it suffers from PRA, it is not the same gene as in the Labrador.

According to a French ophthalmologist who is concerned with research, PRA in Cavaliers is extremely rare and should not be confused with retinal dysplasia, folds, which is a different problem and seen a little more often.

Apparently in the Cavalier the only type of RD seen is geographic, and never "complete"; the dog never becomes blind due to RD. He is privy to every eye test done on every Cavalier in France; there is no such thing as an unofficial test; all eye test results are automatically transmitted to the SCC by the ophthalmologist who carries them out.

Jane

RD is "complete" in Cavaliers in the UK I know of several in the 1990's who were blinded by this condition and it is the reason why the breed was moved to schedule 1 in 1993. However, it is rarely seen. An eye test can still be "unofficial" again I know of several dogs tested by BVA/KC panellists but results never sent to the BVA/KC for publication.
    PRA has been found in the Cavalier but I know only of one case, I know of someone who has had King Charles with it and I know it is Cockers (my father bred them).
    The Golden Retriever people spent thousands of pounds funding research into the genes for MRD and PRA and yet still have no DNA test.
    In most cases PRA is an autosomal recessive.

My point is has the breed been notified that this is a problem and if so why have the members not been informed or is it a case of the CT forum posting "misinformation"
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Quote Originally Posted by bridgette View Post
    Veronica

Who is the opthalmologist doing the testing session at Bagworth ? Is this a problem that the Cavalier Clubs and Health representatives been informed of ? If so why are the members not aware of it ? Has it ever been reported in UK dogs, I have certainly never seen in mentioned in the CKCS reports on eye testing carried out at Club events ?
    Or is it simply a case of the CT forum getting it wrong again?
    Bridgette
    As health rep for the CKCS Club I have not been informed of any such problem. I will check with Sylvia but I believe the ophthalmologist for the health clinic in September is Mr McPherson as usual and he will be doing the routine testing for MRD and cataracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Bridgette
    As health rep for the CKCS Club I have not been informed of any such problem. I will check with Sylvia but I believe the ophthalmologist for the health clinic in September is Mr McPherson as usual and he will be doing the routine testing for MRD and cataracts.
    Oops now I am guilty of giving misinformation!! The ophthalmologist for the health clinic is DAVID HABIN not as I previously quoted. I should have checked the club website before posting. I have just tried to contact him but unfortunately he is on holiday until Monday but I have asked that he contact me upon his return.
    Meanwhile until informed otherwise I am 100% sure that the testing will be for MRD and cataracts

Hi Bridgette,

I should have emphasised a bit more strongly that this is currently the case in France. No Cavaliers here have (yet!) had complete RD and none have become blind due to RD. This may well be because none carrying the gene were imported into this country. Cavalier numbers were considerably lower back in the early 1990's than they are now.

Again, in France, all eye tests are official and the owner of the dog has to sign the certificate which, among the test resutls etc., says they will also send a copy to their breed club.

It is strange but fustrating that a gene has been found for PRA on Labaradors but it isn't the same as for Goldens. Given their not too distant common ancestors I'd rather expect them to be similar. Having said that, the same gene being responsible for the disease in breeds as different as the Sloughi and the Mastiff is quite astonishing.....

Jane