Thread: Question on the history of Cavaliers personality

Default Question on the history of Cavaliers personality

I admire my dogs so much for their wonderful temperaments and personalities. I was wondering where those personalities were from. Do Charlies have similar personalities or they differ? What is the history behind?
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

I've only known Cavaliers since the late 1970's, and have found that most do have the friendly, fearless temperament required by the standard. There have been exceptions, and there were a couple of exhibitors at shows I went to in the UK in the late 80's who asked that my step grandsons; who were handling my dogs; didn't approach their dogs, who were frightened of children. Truthfully.

I've not actually lived with any Charlies for more than a few days at a time. I would describe the ones I've met as rather more aloof and most certainly more stubborn, but equally fearless. They are equally delightful in a different way.

My guess is that some of the Cavalier character came from another breed, but also from a certain amount of selective breeding for temperament.

Jane

Blog Entries

As I understand it, but of course Dennis and Tina will know better, the aristocracy in this country specifically bred down from their larger spaniels to provide playmates for their children in the nursery and affection to the ladies in the family. This was also well before the days of efficient heating systems in the great houses. Therefore the small spaniels were useful to act as hot water bottles in the laps of the ladies. They were also used as 'comfort spaniels' when the menfolk were absent at war. Hence the wonderful temperaments that all Cavaliers should always have.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

And what happened when the old type of spaniels disappeared and the started look like Charlies - did the personalities remained the same?
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)