Thread: Unproductive nipples and mastitus worries

Default Unproductive nipples and mastitus worries

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem I am experiencing with a new mum (puppies 3 days) who has got 2 tiny (not large enough for pups to suck on) nipples on either side of the body, towards the back, which have become very swollen and hard. It is impossible for the puppies to drain the area and wonder whether I should leave well alone hoping that it will disperse or put warm towels on and massage the area (or would this stimulate milk production?)

Any ideas would be welcome, many thanks.

Best wishes
    Hayley

Hi Hayley when I used to breed many years ago, I put small towels or flannels in warm water then just put them round the nipples , this helps to soften the breasts, then you can connect baby to clear it. My vet told me that many years ago and I found it worked. Hope this helps.
    Betty

Quote Originally Posted by betty storar View Post
    Hi Hayley when I used to breed many years ago, I put small towels or flannels in warm water then just put them round the nipples , this helps to soften the breasts, then you can connect baby to clear it. My vet told me that many years ago and I found it worked. Hope this helps.
    Betty
    That would be my tip also Hayley - a face flannel in hot water(a hot as your hand feels comfortable in), wrung out, then applied to the swollen nipples - an old remedy that really works. Reapply, several times, the milk will flow.
    Elspeth

Thank you for your replies, I have already used a flannel soaked in warm water as I know this is the method when the teats are full and hard, my worry was the nipples are unproductive so they can not be drained by the puppies, but it did help slightly so I will carry on with this, thanks for taking the time to reassure me this is the course of action to take, obviously if it does become a big problem I will take her along to the vet to see if they have any other suggestions.

Best wishes
    Hayley

My girl experienced that. The puppy that was the size of the rest was actually helping a lot. I was just putting here at there. She greatly helped the mom.

I read that if you want to reduce the pain and swelling, you can use cabbage Put it into a freezer so it is crispy and then crash it so it produce the juices. Then you apply those crashed leaves to her teats. It will also reduce the pain and inflammation. It works on people too
    Last edited by eJoanna; 09-28-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)

Hayley I think that you will find that if you put the biggest puppy on the teat it will pull it out and get it working.If I were you I would persevere with the hot flannels, they worked for me many times.you
    will have to do it a few times, and keep trying to connect the pup taking care not to exhaust baby, through over handling..
    Betty

Hi Betty,

Thank you for your reply the problem was that I could not put a puppy on the teats as the swelling was around 2 non productive teats (situated mid way between 2 normal teats, sorry if I did not explain this too well..lack of sleep! They are miniscule much too small for a puppy to latch onto, the productive teats were all fine. Fortunately the flannels and the fact that no milk has been drawn from them has meant that the swelling has now disappeared and all is fine now, but thank you for your help.

Best wishes
    Hayley

Quote Originally Posted by Hayleyculverhill View Post
    Hi Betty,

Thank you for your reply the problem was that I could not put a puppy on the teats as the swelling was around 2 non productive teats (situated mid way between 2 normal teats, sorry if I did not explain this too well..lack of sleep! They are miniscule much too small for a puppy to latch onto, the productive teats were all fine. Fortunately the flannels and the fact that no milk has been drawn from them has meant that the swelling has now disappeared and all is fine now, but thank you for your help.
    Hayley,

So glad all is well now. Impacted mammary glands can cause sooo much pain and discomfort for the girls and gives us another job to keep track of!
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA