Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cone collars - size and suitability

Thumbs down Cone collars - size and suitability

Alfie's been in the vets all day today. I found a lump on his winkle last Friday, so got him into the vets ASAP.

He's been in today and had a piece of "fibrous tissue" removed for biopsy. Hope to get results back in 7 to 10 days

But he's come home with one of those cone collars on. I struggled to find anything on the web about sizing for your dog

Apart from the obvious banging into stuff, he can't see sideways and I doubt if he'd be able to drink from a bowl let alone eat without constantly spooking himself.

Alfie being the timid dog is really not suitable for this collar, so we'll be going back tomorrow. But please give my accounts of your experiences

He was laid in his basket under the table. He banged the cone on the front of the basket, took fright and moved backwards, toppled the basket backwards as he fell out, and ended up trapped under a dining chair because the cone was too wide to go between the chair lag and table leg.

So my questions are
    1) How long is the cone supposed to be from end of nose to end of cone
    and
    2) How the hell is he supposed to drink or eat - or are we expected to remove the cone for every meal

Last edited by Mark Ellis; 10-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Poor Alfiepup. I hope you're feeling better soon.

When I had my operation my humans put an inflatable collar on me to stop me licking my wound or chewing at the stitches. It was much better than a cone 'cos I could eat and drink in it. I didn't bump into anything and it was comfortable - I hardly knew it was there. Talk your dad nicely and maybe he could use one for you. ( But tell him to make sure you cannot reach your poorly bits with it on as it is not as restricting as those horrible bucket thingys!!!!!)

Nutmeg

Nutmeg, go ask your humons what size they bought for you. Was it a Kong one or something else

Blog Entries

Mark, you could always cut about an inch off the top to make it more comfortabble, but it does look about right to me. The dogs get used to the Buster Collars after a day or two. Mine bend their heads to eat with the collar touching the floor so that they can get their heads into the bowl.

I'm surprised that Lexie hasn't taken on the job as guide dog for her big brother. Most do in this situation.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Mark, there are alternatives to Elizabethan collars which are much more comfortable for dogs. Google "Comfy Collar" and you will find a whole range. Alfie will be much so much better off in one of these.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Leogem View Post
    Mark, there are alternatives to Elizabethan collars which are much more comfortable for dogs. Google "Comfy Collar" and you will find a whole range. Alfie will be much so much better off in one of these.
    Dennis
    been searching since before I posted about the collars on here, but I'm struggling to find any decent details about sizes etc. Even Kong's own website doesn't have a size guide, and adverts for other makers products conflict.

I am soooooo confused right now, and my head is banging

Poor boy,he really does look uncomfortable,
    You could try something like this:
    http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pr...s/softe-collar

Sins

Smile comfycollars . co . uk

Just found a decent and helpful manufacturers website

comfy-collars

Smile Comfy collar

Rang my vets this morning. They didn't have Alfie's size in stock, so I rang another local vets

He's a whole different dog with this "Comfy Collar" on This is a size 2, which is right at it's maximum to fit Alfie. So any larger cavaliers would want a size 3 I guess

Last edited by Mark Ellis; 10-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Oh Alfie I'm sorry about the delay. My dippy human has only just put the PC on and found your comment. Yes - that looks exactly like mine and I only needed a size 2 ( more than big enough for a little 'un like me). They are so much more comfortable than trying to walk around with a lamp shade or bucket on your head and best of all there is no problem eating in one!!

Hope you're feeling better today and that it's good news from the vet next week.

Take care

Nutmeg