Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cone collars - size and suitability

Look brilliant! It's some time since I've had a dog who needed one but think it worth buying one just in case.

I hope Alfie soon feels better, poor little lad, and that it wasn't anything too sinister.

Jane

They can get used to the big cones quite quickly but I can well understand that a nervous dog could easily get spooked. Many years ago before they had all the fancy ones available now, we actually used a large flexible black plastic plant pot for Rufus - he hated it but managed well once he got used to judging distances. Rowan had one of the cones like Alfie's and not only managed to eat and drink but catch a bird as well. Being translucent he wasn't completely blindsided by it, and it looks to be about the same size as Alfie's.

Rosemary
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    They can get used to the big cones quite quickly but I can well understand that a nervous dog could easily get spooked. Many years ago before they had all the fancy ones available now, we actually used a large flexible black plastic plant pot for Rufus - he hated it but managed well once he got used to judging distances. Rowan had one of the cones like Alfie's and not only managed to eat and drink but catch a bird as well. Being translucent he wasn't completely blindsided by it, and it looks to be about the same size as Alfie's.

Rosemary
    Alfie's was the frosted version, so he couldn't see sideways. I'm sure that Alfie would have been fine with a soft cone. He was a totally different dog when I took the cone off last night, and was able to sleep comfortably all night.

I took him out into the car park this morning and every time that he tried to walk he banged the bottom of the cone on the ground. He laid down as soon as he banged it, which defeats the idea of the cone helping to keep the operated area clean - as he was laying down on dirty tarmac or grass.

Today with this comfy collar he has been happily sleeping, eating, drinking and weeing. Well worth the £10.50. He's banged it a couple of times on chair legs and spooked himself, but is learning his limitations and doing well.

He's happily laid on the settee with his jaw resting on the comfy collar whilst watching ELO on BC 4

Just waiting for the biopsy results now
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Alfie looks much happier now. I'll definitely use the collar - for either dog- in the future should it be needed. Nutmeg is doing likewise - ie stretched out on the sofa watching ELO

Ps May have to use it for Kizzy in the not too distant future as she is at the vets next week to have a suspicious lump on her ear looked at again. Noises being made about removing it but we're playing a waiting game as we're not keen to put her through the stress of a general anaesthetic etc. unless it becomes unavoidable.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

A picture paints a thousand words

Whatever it takes to make the little lad happy! Hopefully it won't be for too long.

My big issue with Rowan was that he was 11 and a half with a grade 6 murmur, and not only did the poor little devil have anaethetic for his operation ( anal gland abcess) but the damn fool vet only taped up the hole, and everything came undone at bedtime, so he had to go back again the next day for more anaesthetic and proper stitches. His "sunbonnet" was the least of our worries! I still get pissed off over it and it's really the only time our vets have made me feel that way...

Rosemary

Smile Comfy and laid back

Poor Alfie! Stitches and no dignity any more!! Still, he seems to have a little nurse

Jane

No dignity at all - poor lad having his private boys bits paraded on the web for all the world to gawp at....

I actually think that Alfie's new style collar looks a bit more like a life jacket than a "stop me biting my stitches" gadget.

Rosemary

Cool fibrous tissue was benign

We've been to the vets today for the 7 day post op check up. The fibrous tissue removed has been tested and is benign - which is fantastic news.

Lexie is now sporting the comfy collar in the hope that it will teach her "personal space" One lives in hope