Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flaxseed, bad for reproductive health?

Default Flaxseed, bad for reproductive health?

I got word from hear-say that flaxseed might be bad for reproductive health and for pregnant bitches. What are other's thoughts on this topic? I read the ingredients in my girl's kibble and it has flaxseed in it, so I hope I have not been ruining her reproductive health
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

I would ask your vet. I've never heard that but I've never researched canine reproductive health. I bet she's fine--but it's worth looking into.

Isn't Flax the same as Linseed?? I used to give it to my rabbits to help their glossy coats. I know rabbits are herbivores, unlike dogs, but they didn't have fertility problems!

I've never read anything about it being detrimental to canine reproduction, but I don't use it for the dogs or myself.

Jane

I just googled it and it seems flaxseed is a scource of Omega-3 and 6 and it is positively good for canine reproductive health.
    Philippa

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post

I've never read anything about it being detrimental to canine reproduction, but I don't use it for the dogs or myself.
    I've used Flaxseed oil along with a high grade Coconut oil on my own breakfast every day for years and years.... and I reproduced pretty darn well

Sorry... it's true, and I just couldn't resist sharing it with you all

Veronica.
    Last edited by Veronica Hull; 10-29-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Thank you everyone

Veronica thanks for the laugh, glad you were able to reproduce well
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

I want to revisit this topic. I am now hearing increasing reports (anecdotal, I haven't seen any studies) of people swearing by avoiding flaxseed to keep fertility in their bitches (and possibly dogs too) in tip top shape. Something to do with it affecting the levels of hormones that get released. In addition, I have started to hear that peas possibly will do the same.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Alisha,
    Had to smile when I read your latest post. I recently visited the Repro vet to 'collect' sperm from my two boys. One was fine but the other had what she described as a 'lowish' sperm count.
    Guess what she prescribed for him? Linseed oil (aka Flaxseed oil) which , she said: "has everything in it to increase fertility".

Now you will be even more confused?? Sorry!
    Elspeth

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Guess what she prescribed for him? Linseed oil (aka Flaxseed oil) which , she said: "has everything in it to increase fertility".

Now you will be even more confused?? Sorry!
    How interesting Elspeth....
    Doesn't this just prove we have to keep an open mind when it comes to the 'experts' advice.... it really is a can of worms.

I know this will be 'off topic'... but never the less in a way it has similarities ......
    A 'real life' TV programme I'm hooked on called, ' One Born Every Minute' was even more spell binding than usual this week. A 'mum-to-be' had been warned her expected child could not survive.... At 12 weeks she had been strongly encouraged to abort this foetus, but religious beliefs of the expectant parents encouraged them to go ahead with the pregnancy. When it was announced that 3 days would be the lifespan of this child I almost switched off, but at that point the camera went to another birthing mother which held my attention.

The doomed child was born, a natural full term birth.... and the baby cried.... then after a quick kiss from mum and dad this newborn was whisked off to the intensive care unit. Skip forward 4 months.... and there was this beautiful child at home surrounded by his siblings, smiling and looking wonderful. He will require surgery at some stage, and needs assistance at feeding time.... but that baby is enjoying life against all the odds thrown in his way.

In a nutshell.... if those parents had listened and acted blindly on what the experts had predicted, their cherished baby would have had his life snuffed out at 12 weeks gestation... and this just confirms why I have little to NO faith in so called 'experts'... they are only human, and however confidently they push their 'guestimates' they can, and frequently do, get things wrong.

Kind regards,
    Veronica.

I never found any proof that flaxseed or peas is bad for reproduction functions. I think it is more like one person opinion spread out in social media. People read that and choose to avoid potential issues just in case. My own bitch was on the food with flaxseed and peas and had no issue to get pregnant and deliver a litter but of course one litter doesn't prove the rule.
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)