Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding a breeder who does MRI scans as well as heart and eye certificates

Default Finding a breeder who does MRI scans as well as heart and eye certificates

Hi all, I only joined here yesterday and am in the process of 'convincing' my husband that it really will be a great idea to have a lovely little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel as well as our 8 year old Jack Russell, Pip - not an easy job! We have done a deal that I won't mention it for 2 months and we'll revisit this issue then - he'll have an open mind. I think I've been banging on about having a puppy almost every hour for ages so need to lay off a bit . I thought during this time I'll find out as much as I possibly can so when he does finally give in (which he will) I'll be ready for it!

I've been researching health checks etc as I want to make sure our new addition is as healthy as possible. How can I find out which breeders do all the checks I mention in this post title without ploughing through every single website? The MRI scan is really important to me; lots of breeders seem to do just the heart and eye certificates.

Many thanks.

Ali

You say that the MRI scan is really important to you but do understand the information that will be on it?

You need to be aware that even if a dog scans well it can still be symptomatic, also clear dogs can and do throw "affected progeny"

Your best chance of finding a healthy long living cavalier is to go to a breeder who regularly produces such dogs.
    As for ploughing through every single website, you've got 2 months that should give you ample time. I suggest you start with those kennels who have dogs listed on the www.cavalierclub.co.uk website over 5 heart clear list, the voluntary disclosure list for MRI and the Golden Oldies.

Good Luck
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Thanks for getting back to me. It's only in the last week that I found out about syringomyelia - I've been on a steep learning curve I can tell you! I wasn't aware that unaffected parents can produce affected offspring. I'll certainly have a look on the places you sugested; many thanks for your help

There are no web sites that give total lists of dogs that have been tested. The only way to find out for sure is to ask the breeder of the pups what tests have been carried out; and please ask to see all the relevant health certificates. Please don't be fobbed off on this one!!

I've sold pups to people who in the past have gone to a breeder's premises who had said the parents have been tested, and then no papers were produced. The people had already fallen for the pup by then. and finished up buying anyway, only later realising they had been taken for a ride.

It happens.

But health certs don't guarantee a healthy long lived adult, it just give much better odds - which is what most of us are aiming for.

Carry on the research! Most of us have had Cavaliers for 30yrs plus - and still don't have the answers.

Where do you live? I agree with Bridgette, to try to go with a breeder that has a history of producing long lived dogs. MRI scanning is still so inconclusive, because clear dogs can produce affected dogs. But what is good is that the MRI scanning breeders are at least utilizing the only tool we currently have to see whether or not a dog truly has the condition or not.

You can use this list to start your search

http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/hea...i/view_mri.php

But realize that there are tons of breeders who do not add themselves on here. I have been finding more and more recently at least in my area, about breeders who are scanning put do not add themselves to this list. Best way is by word of mouth. Start talking to breeders and usually they will tell you to contact this or that person, and see where your journey takes you.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Many thanks Sue and Coco. I never would have imagined what a tricky business it would be to find a new puppy! I'm glad I'm researching it though - at least I'm giving us a good chance of finding a happy, healthy puppy who'll be with us a long time.

I know to see actual certificates etc and not just go by word of mouth. We live in Bristol and when the time comes will be prepared to travel. I'll check out that website Coco.

Have a good day!

Hello Ali
    You could try ringing the co-ordinator of the West of England Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy register. In other words me
    My phone number is on their website.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    I'm glad I'm researching it though - at least I'm giving us a good chance of finding a happy, healthy puppy who'll be with us a long time.

I know to see actual certificates etc and not just go by word of mouth. We live in Bristol and when the time comes will be prepared to travel. I'll check out that website Coco.

Have a good day!
    It's so nice to find somebody who is doing all the right things Smiler. I know somebody in the Taunton area who fully tests and scans all her breeding stock. I think you would need to go onto her waiting list, but if you enable Private Messages or e-mails in your profile I can send you her contact details.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Quote Originally Posted by Tamyse View Post
    Hello Ali
    You could try ringing the co-ordinator of the West of England Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy register. In other words me
    My phone number is on their website.
    Thank you and I will do that - but need to wait a while because I did promise my husband I won't mention it for 2 months - only 1 day later and I'm already regretting it lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    It's so nice to find somebody who is doing all the right things Smiler. I know somebody in the Taunton area who fully tests and scans all her breeding stock. I think you would need to go onto her waiting list, but if you enable Private Messages or e-mails in your profile I can send you her contact details.
    Think I've done that now so people can PM/email me.

Just spoken to my SIL who told me her friend had 3 Cavaliers, each of whom died young due to heart problems ... thus enhancing my resolve to find out as much as I can before taking the plunge

Ali