Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding a breeder who does MRI scans as well as heart and eye certificates

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Think I've done that now so people can PM/email me.

Just spoken to my SIL who told me her friend had 3 Cavaliers, each of whom died young due to heart problems ... thus enhancing my resolve to find out as much as I can before taking the plunge

Ali
    Thanks Ali. I have e-mailed you.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Can you tell me please how old the dogs should be before they are bred from. I've found a breeder who scans etc but the Mum won't be 2 til June next year and the Dad is 2 and a 1/2. This seems rather young to me .....

Can you tell me please how old the dogs should be before they are bred from. I've found a breeder who scans etc but the Mum won't be 2 til June next year and the Dad is 2 and a 1/2. This seems rather young to me .....
    If you go by the breeding protocol, then it's young for the bitch; especially if the grand-parents are also still under 5 yrs old - ergo the g.gparents - are maybe still under 7yrs? etc. It is impossible to evaluate what the longevity of the immediate forebears is going to be. The sire is just - (but was he when he sired the litter) within the breeding protocol. Are they DNA tested?

Ask if the grandparents have all been scanned and if they all have clear heart certificates. See what the answer is

2 years old is the absolute MINIMUM a dog should be bred from, period, according to kennel club code of ethics.... and then ONLY if that dogs' parents are already 5yrs or older and still heart clear. If the parents are not at least 5 then I would pass. This is the gist of the MVD breeding protocol, but that actually specifies that the minimum age to breed a dog is 2.5 years old.

Have you read through this website at all? It goes over so many things in great detail.

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    2 years old is the absolute MINIMUM a dog should be bred from, period, according to kennel club code of ethics...
    Hi Alisha,
    This statement above is certainly not the case in the UK, but maybe applicable to other countries. In the UK the English Kennel Club rules are that a female should not be mated so as to produce a litter before she is 14 (fourteen ) months of age.

Here is the exact wording:

Kennel Club Registration & Regulations for Dog Breeding

Before thinking about breeding from your bitch, you should acquaint yourself with the Kennel Club Regulations on registering litters and the registration system in general. The rules and regulations can be found on the litter application form 1, but you will need to remember that the Kennel Club will not accept an application to register a litter when:

3. The dam was under one year old at the time of mating

My girls are much more likely to be four years old before they have even produced their first litter, but that's my personal choice. In almost 36 years of dog breeding I've never ever bred from a female who is under two years, but the Kennel Club say 12 months is fine with them, whatever the breed, and those are 'the rules'.

Kind regards,
    Veronica

but the Mum won't be 2 til June next year and the Dad is 2 and a 1/2. This seems rather young to me .....
    I would not reward this breeder. If these facts given to us are correct, then this little female is way too young. Even if the grandparents fit the suggested age frame now expected from a breeder who cares about the future of Cavaliers, why the hurry to have a litter from an 18 month old bitch?

I'd be asking some questions of this breeder.

Kind regards,
    Veronica

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    I'd be asking some questions of this breeder.

Kind regards,
    Veronica
    I wouldn't Veronica - I would be going elsewhere.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    I wouldn't Veronica - I would be going elsewhere.
    Which is why I said this Flo:

I would not reward this breeder. If these facts given to us are correct, then this little female is way too young
    I would still question this breeders values and knowledge though, and maybe try to educate

Kind regards,
    Veronica.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    Which is why I said this Flo:

I would still question this breeders values and knowledge though, and maybe try to educate

Kind regards,
    Veronica.
    Education should have begun with the breeder who sold this person her dogs in the first place! That's why I co-own any dog I sell on breeding terms. I make sure that the dogs are cared for properly, that the owner learns the right way to do things (mine!) and that the breeding, whelping, raising and selling of the puppies is done accordingly. Lots of people say that I want too much control, or that I do it for the money (there isn't any), but everything I do is for the welfare of the dog and the breed.
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

Alisha, I am not sure where you got 2 years as a minimum age required for breeding. The health protocol (which is a recommendation - not a law or by-law) requires that dogs are not bred before 2.5 years.

CKCSC Club Code of Ethics - specifies 12 months as a minimum ( "I will not: 1.breed a bitch before she is one year old, and then only if she is sufficiently mature and in excellent health; nor breed a bitch that has reached her eighth birthday")

Ethical gudilines for ACKCSC specifies - 18 months as minimum "I will not breed a bitch before she is eighteen months old or her third season, whichever comes first; and not breed a bitch who has reached her eighth birthday.I will not breed a bitch before she is eighteen months old or her third season, whichever comes first; and not breed a bitch who has reached her eighth birthday."
    Greetings from Joanna & Maxi, Zoe & Arabella (Kissabella)