Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finding a breeder who does MRI scans as well as heart and eye certificates

I have a problem with some of the comments on this page particularly as I have on occasions bred "outside the protocols" These are recommendations and in my opinion open to interpretation I once bred a bitch under 2 in order to capture an old sire (both her parents were over 5 and heart clear and that to me is the crux of the matter to know genetically what the grandparents are doing health wise). I shall also be mating a bitch of just over 2 when she comes into season because she had a pyo at her last season. Some of my girls haven't had a first litter until 4 or 5 and I have to say each time it's been a disaster, and even those who had previously had a litter with no problems seem to have difficulties the older they get. My 6 year old heart clear bitch recently produced an entire litter of dead and decomposing puppies. The first time I've ever had anything like it and I hope the last. I shan't be mating any bitch as late as that again.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

There are rules and guidelines, and every country differs.

For breeders in France who have signed the "charte de Qualite" no bitch would be mated before she was eighteen months of age as she can't have a valid heart ultrasound done before that age. Equally, no dog would be used before that age. For other breeders it would be after she had her definitive pedigree, which can't be done until after the age of 12 months. Some other breeds have to wait until 15 months.

Personally, when I started breeding I generally followed the "mate at the third season" adage that existed at the time. This could mean the bitch would be anything from eighteen months to two years, depending on when she had her first season. My first bitch, though, was almost three when she had her first litter as I'd hesitated about breeding from her: I'd bought her as a pet. She found it hard going, but had her second litter like falling off a log.

In those days we were only just becoming aware of the potential problems, but I'd prefer a younger bitch to be mated to a much older dog, from, it almost goes without saying, a long lived, healthy family. Equally, I'm prepared to use a younger dog on an older bitch.

Jane

Thanks everyone for all your input to this. I won't be using this breeder as I can't find enough information on the parents/grandparents etc etc and I just don't feel comfy with it.

Goodness, this will show how much I've learned - not so long ago I was looking on our local Free Ads and thinking some of the litters there looked nice; could be from anywhere - thankfully I didn't pursue anything and decided to do my own research.

I guess it has been a while since I have read the actual guidelines and with the confusion of what people say and what sticks in my mind it has become confused! Thanks to all who corrected me, but I still think that my point was understood, which was to look into the guidelines.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I guess it has been a while since I have read the actual guidelines and with the confusion of what people say and what sticks in my mind it has become confused! Thanks to all who corrected me, but I still think that my point was understood, which was to look into the guidelines.
    Thanks Coco, I just looked at that website you gave me the link for - very interesting reading. I've bookmarked it with my ever growing list of Cavalier related things!!

Whilst I realise this this is a thread revival, it seemed to make sense rather than starting a new one (hope that's OK folks).

After losing our beloved Blenham Maggie (11 1/2) recently, I too am looking to find a breeder who follows the SM breeding protocol. Maggie had SM (albeit only mild symptoms) and developed a heart murmur at 6 (plus Cushing's). We actively managed her various conditions and have an amazing vet, but I'd love to do my bit to help eradicate these distressing illnesses and find a pup where the odds of ill health aren't quite so worryingly high. I've been looking on the KC site and have contacted a couple of breeders, but any tips/pointers from other people who've been in this situation would be gratefully received.