Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raising a Singleton

Thanks, Barbara. Don't know if I could manage that - I have a very small kitchen, no room even for a table. it's a strange house. But it's on 5 acres so the dogs can bark their heads off, and we know what's more important - we don't need to eat but they need to bark There has to be some place that the puppy can be with other dogs and have supervision. When she's old enough I could send her to my partner's house - she has some 6 month old pups that would be good company for her. Maybe for now I could just bring a couple of the older dogs upstairs into the whelping room for her to get to know. You're all giving me some good ideas. It will work out.
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

I didn't say that my bitches usually whelp in the sitting room: Hula was born on an armchair! Fortunately there wasn’t a lot of fluid and the chair is leather. My house is basically six rooms: downstairs there are a dining room, a sitting room, a fairly large kitchen and the dog room, which is really the utility room, and there are two upstairs rooms with my tiny office which we built and occupies most of the landing. The kitchen and dog room were wine vats when we moved in, and we found it difficult when we had a bitch in season and only one exit route! There is a hallway between the main downstairs rooms and the stairs make a 180 turn half way, which makes a super place for a mum with pups. It’s like a little cave, can be easily fenced off with a baby gate to give her privacy and if the weather is cool I can use an infra red heater. The pups usually stay there until about eight weeks of age. I can give them the run of the hall with little danger, no wires anywhere, and it’s about five metres long so they are able to run.

When I’m not there the dogs are usually in the kitchen or dog room; sometimes some of the bitches may be in the sitting room; it rather depends of where they are when I go out! This means, effectively that there could be a mum with pups in the hall and other bitches in the sitting room, but I don’t leave the pups alone with older dogs until from about six weeks old.

Jane

OK! I've managed to raise Solitaire to 7 weeks without producing a complete monster. She's well socialized, healthy and happy. But she won't be weaned! If I feed her mother in the puppy pen, mom eats so fast that the puppy can't get more than a mouthful. And she is very eager to eat from mom's bowl. But not from her own bowl. She'll have a few laps and then walk away. She much prefers mom's milk bar. Or my hand. Yes, I've reduced myself to begging her to eat by hand feeding her and she'll eat that way just fine. But not from her bowl. I do cover up mom's teats most of the time when they're together. Should I just keep her covered up all the time and hope that Solitaire gets hungry enough to eat from her bowl? How can I have raised these babies for so many years and yet be stumped by one little rotten puppy????
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

4. Default

They have the attention span of a gnat at that age I think ... pop her in a cage with her food and leave her, no other distractions ...
    Sheena Stevens

My girls are still feeding their puppies at 7 weeks - so I wouldn't get stressed about that. I would stop the hand feeding as I think you are creating a monster.

I tend to allow them at this stage to spend the night with their Mother and then cover up or keep Mum away for the day and then try with food during the day.

Janine
    Janine King
    Nidra Cavaliers
    New Zealand

That's the thing, Janine, I would do that but since she's a singleton she needs her mother with her most of the time. I put a cover up on her so the puppy can't get at the milk bar and will try that for a while. Sheena, she really does half half the attention span of a gnat. Maybe. I don't want to put her in a crate at this age, I think it's just a bit too young and she does go back to the food bowl, although it's excrutiatingly slow. i am doing my best to keep my hands out of her food...
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

7. Default

Well, good luck, Sue! Incidentally, I only meant for about ten minutes with the bowl ... two or three times a day? Should have said, sorry.
    Sheena Stevens

I know you did Sheena. Just me being overprotective. It's a good idea and I will probably do that until she gets the idea. Too many distractions in her pen,
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA