Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breeding after bladder stone/seasons?

Veronica,

I've fed a raw diet for over 25 years, and I'm always interested in what other raw feeders do for their diets, especially during pregnancy. There's such a hue and cry here about making sure the calcium/phosphorus ratio is correct during gestation. What do you think about that? Do you worry about "balancing" your diet or do you just feed whatever looks good at the butcher's that week?
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

I'm not Veronica, but I have been feeding raw for about 13 years and I still only feed raw all through gestation and don't make any changes apart from adding folic acid. I do give my feeding Mums a milk mixture based on Dr Ian Billinghursts fortified milk recipe in this books with lots of eggs and manuka honey.

Surely you can't get a better balance of calcium to phosphorous than you get by feeding raw bones. I have never had any problems with the raw diet and the puppies all have wonderful bone and the Mothers have plenty of milk and often are still feeding their puppies at 9 - 10 weeks until I finally put a stop to it.

Janine
    Janine King
    Nidra Cavaliers
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by SevenWoods View Post
    Veronica,

There's such a hue and cry here about making sure the calcium/phosphorus ratio is correct during gestation. What do you think about that?
    In a nutshell I think it's rubbish Sue ...... How do they think wild Dingo's survive generation to generation, whelping and raising their young ?

I do give small quantities of carefully chosen extra's when one of my girls is due to be mated on her following season. This additional food is rich in natural folic acid.... ie, slim cut finger length strips of beef liver, (about 3 strips per day ) and raw broccoli etc..... I keep this up throughout the pregnancy, plus add natural bio yoghurt to their diet which they love..

Warm regards,
    Veronica.

Veronica and Janine,

Am always interested in what other raw feeders think about that. I do give extra folic acid to moms. I also have a veggie/salmon oil/yogurt mix that I concoct. It gives the dogs more to eat without gaining weight and provides a way to get the oil and yogurt into them without having to measure and dribble it on their bones.

Re the Dingos, dogs are opportunistic eaters, they'll eat anything that isn't nailed down. They aren't like cats who are true carnivores. So from that perspective, a balanced diet for them is kind of non sequitur It's all marketing in the end.
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

Blog Entries

Sue
    Might I ask the amounts/actual products you use?

I also have a veggie/salmon oil/yogurt mix that I concoct. .[/QUOTE]
    Thanks
    Karen H