Thread: Sprint Time = Spring Clean = extracting dog hair

Question Sprint Time = Spring Clean = extracting dog hair

Spring time means time to give the house a good clean or do more than just chase those darn dust bunnies

But I wonder, is there a Chemist amongst us

There must be a chemical or substance that will help to break down or dissolve dog hair, but that will not harm cotton or polyester

Other than monotonously vacuuming settee covers and bedding for hours, I wondered what suggestions other members might have
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

No, nothing will get rid of dog hair. The chemicals that would dissolve it also destroy other substances.

Someone I knew who had Old English Sheepdogs kept her dogs' hair, spun it and made really rather nice sweaters; but I don't think Cavalier hair would lend itself that that.

My "sort of" solution is to have tiled floors and a leather sofa - but that doesn't stop dog hair getting down the sides of the cushions, which are not leather!

I am not a good "femme de menage", so often there is a tumbleweed ball of dog hair, or more, floating round the room. I do use a broom which actually is better than a vacuum cleaner for the first stage, especially if you sprinkle just a little water on the brush head before sweeping. I then vacuum afterwards.

Jane

Unhappy The curse of white hair

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    Someone I knew who had Old English Sheepdogs kept her dogs' hair, spun it and made really rather nice sweaters; but I don't think Cavalier hair would lend itself that that.

My "sort of" solution is to have tiled floors and a leather sofa - but that doesn't stop dog hair getting down the sides of the cushions, which are not leather!

Jane
    Used to collect Alfie's hair for spinning into wool, because his coat is really really soft. But never got round to having it put into the wool.

Made the mistake of having a wool blanket on the settee to "protect it" but the white hair from these two works its way through the blanket. Cleaned the settee today and "shovelled" bucket loads of white hair from the side of the settee arm

You've met Kizzy so know how much white hair she has. She 'kindly' shares this over every piece of carpet and sometimes the chairs too. The best way I've found of removing it from the sofa etc is to use a damp - not wet- piece of microfibre cloth and just wipe it over each cushion. The hairs stick to it like glue. Doesn't stay clear for long but at least I feel as if I've "made the effort". ( And it saves the baby that I'm looking after from going home looking like a fluffy toy )
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Cool Proctor and Gamble

I went to Proctor and Gamble's website. You will all know proctor and Gamble as they are probably one of the world's largest owner of brand names - including Ariel, Fairy, Bold, Daz, etc.

So I completed the "Contact us" form suggesting they make a product that helps to dissolve or break down pet hair

I had an email advising that "To request a dosing device I should ring ..."

I responded with a "What???" and they emailed back asked what my original message was

This is their final reply
    Hello Mark and thanks for providing that information.

As I’m sure you are aware P&G do not currently manufacture a laundry detergent that is designed to break down pet hair, and being a pet owner myself I can certainly appreciate how useful this would be.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our products to meet the needs and preferences of customers and your comments will help us with our research. Please be assured I will forward your comments onto our Research and Development department.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

Kind regards,
    So, if anybody else wanted to email Proctor and Gamble asking for a laundry product to help in the fight with pet hair - then email them at ukconsumers@custhelp.com

I'd recommend getting light coloured carpets and textiles for Cavaliers with a lot of white, and dark ones for Tris & Black and Tans. I think I've posted before about my very white Blenheim and my dark blue carpets, and having changed when we moved, I now have beige carpets and a big black Herbie who sheds like there's no tomorrow.

I've found that rubber soled shoes/slippers are actually better than hoovering for moving "Herbie hair" off carpets, but you can only really do small areas with this technique!

Rosemary