Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: It's a minefield!

  1. #1

    Default It's a minefield!

    I wonder if anyone can help with my puppy search? I live in Sheffield and am finding looking for a puppy to be a complete minefield. I would like to find a puppy from a breeder who has DNA tested and MRI scanned as well as heart and eyes (although I know there are still no guarantees even if both parents are clear). I have contacted my regional cavalier club puppy register, along with several others around the country but there just don't seem to be any litters around at the moment. I have phoned umpteen breeders and have been to meet one breeder but alas no puppies or planned litters in the near future.

    If there is anyone out there who has or knows of anyone with a litter I would really appreciate if you could contact me. I am more than happy to travel so the area isn't important (within the UK anyway!). We would also happily consider a slightly older puppy. I am very happy to answer any questions about our home and lifestyle (I had an 'exam' from the breeder we went to meet!).

    Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Nicola

  2. #2

    Default

    Glad to see your sensible approach to getting a cavalier. I'm not a breeder, but I believe that many people find a breeder and get on the waiting list for a pup.

    Or you could consider registering with the Cavalier Club's Breed Rescue people. www.cavalierrescue.co.uk Both of mine are rescues, and I wouldn't be without them

    I met a couple of women yesterday with what they think is a cavichon. I think they were mother and daughter. The younger woman (in her twenties) said that they had gone out to buy a dog, any dog, and were determined to stay out until they had one :O

    They apparently paid £350 for this cross breed, but are aware that some people pay £800 or more for these types of dog.

    I wish that I'd taken a photo, as the thing looked more like an airedale terrier, but with a curly bichon coat and faint blenheim chestnut colouring on it. It had a tiny section of black hair on the tail feathers, which apparently came from the Black and Tan cavalier mother
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

    Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    .
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi Mark
    Thanks for your response. It is quite unbelievable the crossbreeds that people are producing, when I was doing a Cavalier related search the other evening an advert for a Bassalier (Bassett hound crossed with a Cavalier) popped up, for which they were asking several hundred pounds. And the scary thing is that people are buying them!

    In between typing my post on Sunday and it appearing on the forum, I made several more phone calls and I hope I may have found a puppy, a little Blenheim bitch which is just exactly what we wanted, albeit at the other end of the country! We are going to meet her on Sunday so fingers crossed!

    Nicola

  4. #4

    Default

    Some seven or eight years ago my niece, who lives in London UK, phoned me, who lives in France, because a friend of hers wanted a blenheim Cavalier bitch puppy and just didn't know where to look. I gave her the various clubs’ puppy register phone numbers. Her friend lives in East Kent.

    The only litter available at the time was in Hampshire; yes, the potential buyer wanted a dog yesterday! They were also wholecolours. Hannah being a particular lover of rubies told her friend she had to see them, and although there were bitches available her friend absolutely fell for a ruby dog. I’m glad to say he is still very, very happy with him. Hannah found it difficult to understand why, although there were lots of Cavaliers being born, her friend had to travel two or more hours to find one from a “decent” breeder. I explained.

    Jane

  5. #5

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukama View Post
    Hi Mark
    Thanks for your response. It is quite unbelievable the crossbreeds that people are producing, when I was doing a Cavalier related search the other evening an advert for a Bassalier (Bassett hound crossed with a Cavalier) popped up, for which they were asking several hundred pounds. And the scary thing is that people are buying them!

    In between typing my post on Sunday and it appearing on the forum, I made several more phone calls and I hope I may have found a puppy, a little Blenheim bitch which is just exactly what we wanted, albeit at the other end of the country! We are going to meet her on Sunday so fingers crossed!

    Nicola
    Nicola hi

    You haven't added your location to your profile yet, so we don't know which end of the UK are are - or which end the pup is

    I do hope that you have found a good breeder, especially if traveling that sort of distance for this little girl. Would be interested to know where you saw the advert for her, or found out about her. Private Message me if you like. Both my cavies were brought after seeing adverts on-line. Both were bought on the "spur of the moment" by English families who traveled to Wales to buy the pups. And both breeders turned out to be puppy farms. One family made the mistake of "rescuing him from the breeder and those awful conditions" - which did nothing more than encourage the Kennel Club registered Mr Davies to breed even more dogs at his "establishment"

    So I hope that you are strong enough to walk away if it does happen to be a suspect operation.

    But what I am sure of, is that other members on here will be asking, nay, demanding photos of your pup
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

    Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    .
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bowers Gifford, Essex, UK.
    Posts
    1,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kukama View Post

    In between typing my post on Sunday and it appearing on the forum, I made several more phone calls and I hope I may have found a puppy, a little Blenheim bitch which is just exactly what we wanted, albeit at the other end of the country! We are going to meet her on Sunday so fingers crossed!

    Nicola
    Fingers crossed for you here as well Nicola.... I hope you like this beautifully bred and well raised baby as much as I do

    Warm regards,
    Veronica

  7. #7

    Default

    Best of luck Nicola,
    Seems like you may have found just what you're looking for.
    It pays to be careful when bringing a puppy into a family home, and very well worth travelling to find the right one.
    Hopefully, you'll have a wonderful summer ahead with a new puppy to add to the enjoyment.
    Sins

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    Fingers crossed for you here as well Nicola.... I hope you like this beautifully bred and well raised baby as much as I do

    Warm regards,
    Veronica
    Thank you very much Veronica, I very much appreciate all of your help and can't wait for the weekend! We will let you know how we get on.
    Nicola.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ellis View Post
    Nicola hi

    You haven't added your location to your profile yet, so we don't know which end of the UK are are - or which end the pup is

    I do hope that you have found a good breeder, especially if traveling that sort of distance for this little girl. Would be interested to know where you saw the advert for her, or found out about her. Private Message me if you like. Both my cavies were brought after seeing adverts on-line. Both were bought on the "spur of the moment" by English families who traveled to Wales to buy the pups. And both breeders turned out to be puppy farms. One family made the mistake of "rescuing him from the breeder and those awful conditions" - which did nothing more than encourage the Kennel Club registered Mr Davies to breed even more dogs at his "establishment"

    So I hope that you are strong enough to walk away if it does happen to be a suspect operation.

    But what I am sure of, is that other members on here will be asking, nay, demanding photos of your pup
    Thanks Mark, I was fortunate to speak to Veronica Hull on Sunday who has pointed me in the direction of this puppy. Photos will definitely follow if all goes well!

    Nicola.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sins View Post
    Best of luck Nicola,
    Seems like you may have found just what you're looking for.
    Sins
    Thank you so much, I really hope so! My daughter and I are so excited, it's been too long since we've had our own dog.
    Nicola

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •