Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some advice with a struggling puppy

The last two feedings I have given him some minced raw beef mixed with a little Esbilac. He REALLY likes that stuff!! I have to watch my finger so he won't take it off LOL! I've been giving him very little of the beef at this point, probably not more that 1/4 teaspoon, so he gets weened onto it slowly; the rest is the goats milk Esbilac as usual.

I know I'm repeating myself, but THANK YOU so much for the help and advice.
    Bruce H
    MysticKnight Cavaliers
    AKC Breeder of Merit

Hi Bruce,

the niggling hasn't come up with any answer, but I do remember reading that if you hand feed a puppy you should stimulate the pee and pooh reflexes just AFTER feeding. I don't know how much difference that makes - it's just another thing that may help.

Jane

Default Another thought

Can't remember if someone has already mentioned yoghurt ?

I'd suggest about a half a teaspoon of plain unflavoured yoghurt before or after each meat meal - I use Greek style these days, and mine love it

Warm it through a little and feed it to the baby from your fingertip. But watch out for your fingers getting chomped !
    Jenny at Erinport
    Where Excellence Without Exaggeration Counts

We have been giving him just a little bit of plain goat milk yogurt, actually the same thing we give our nursing moms with every meal. It's advertised as having no sugars, preservatives, gluten free, etc, etc.

I also saw a poop from him this a.m. just before his 5 am feeding. It looked completely normal, so I'm happy about that. BUT I should have listened to Jane about stimulating him after feeding last night; I had him on my chest burping him and he peed all over my shirt!

So I did see a good weight gain yesterday, .8 ounces gained from 4:30 am to 9:30 pm. I hope that trend continues, although I just wish he could get something from mom. He nurses on her, but doesn't seem to get enough. But all in all, I am cautiously optimistic.
    Bruce H
    MysticKnight Cavaliers
    AKC Breeder of Merit

Just an update on the little guy (we call him Little Big Man or LBM). We have continued feeding him every 2 to 3 hours, giving him a little raw beef and goats milk yogurt with the goats milk Esbilac. He has been doing fairly well with respect to gaining weight, a week ago he was 1#2oz and he is now 1#8oz. BUT, unlike his 2 siblings, he can't walk; he is still crawling. He seems very strong, but it's like he's only a couple weeks old developmentally. We have researched swimmer puppy and while he has a couple of the symptoms, I don't think he has enough to suspect that. Our current thinking is that we will give him another week and if there's no improvement, I think we'll take him to the neurologist at the University of Minnesota.
    Bruce H
    MysticKnight Cavaliers
    AKC Breeder of Merit