Thread: Dog harnesses and trips in the car

Unhappy Dog harnesses and trips in the car

This is for anyone who uses dog harnesses to secure their dog in the car

Full details at CBS Report on Dog harness testing

Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

The responsible way to end the video would be to guide the public as to what would be a safe way to transport your dog not just scaring the life out of us!

Alison.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cavielove View Post
    The responsible way to end the video would be to guide the public as to what would be a safe way to transport your dog not just scaring the life out of us!

Alison.
    I agree with that Alison.

No animosity is intended here Mark, but you must remember that this is an open to the public forum, capable of being read by anyone at all, with or without knowledge of us, the breed and what we stand for. Posting scarey stuff like this without adding that it is much safer to cage dogs during travel gives a bad impression of all of us and the resources we favour.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Interesting, disturbing and not totally surprising. I’ve never liked the idea of a harness and my dogs generally travel in a cage/crate; I have one permanently in the car.

Coincidentally, this was a subject that cropped up yesterday. Babette said she’d had a harness for Steed at first; she didn’t like the idea of putting a dog in a cage. Then, when he was about a year old, they had an emergency. Her mother in law, who lives in one of the French colonies overseas, had had an accident and she and Patrick had to fly over there at short notice. Aline and Alain went to Babette and Patrick’s house to take them to the airport, and put Steed in a cage in the back of the car, with his own bed, to take him back to their house to look after him. Babette didn’t like this at all, but Alain said he would not use a harness. Then she discovered that when Aline and Alain got home, they took the cage out of the car and put it in the house. Steed used it as his refuge, so they conceded that maybe a cage WAS a sensible idea, not a cruel practice, and bought one.

I‘ve often told of the day I had been at a show with Bijou and after her class had finished, stood ringside to watch the next class. She got bored with this, slipped out of her lead backwards and made her way through throngs of people and dogs back to her cage, and sat outside waiting for someone to open it!

A friend once rolled his car when he had his biggish dog in a crate: the crate was buckled and unusable afterwards, but the dog had just a few bruises: he had worse bruises from his seat belt, and whiplash.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    I agree with that Alison.

No animosity is intended here Mark, but you must remember that this is an open to the public forum, capable of being read by anyone at all, with or without knowledge of us, the breed and what we stand for. Posting scarey stuff like this without adding that it is much safer to cage dogs during travel gives a bad impression of all of us and the resources we favour.
    Just wondered if you'd visited the URL link to the CBS website, Flo. The link appeared on the Companion Dog Club (CDC) group on Facebook.

The video that I captured and used as an educational tool has on the last image - the web page that one should search for full details.
    It also points you to the dorsetdog.com webpage "Transporting your pet", where there is a lot of information on various methods. I do need to do more work on it.

This video is now widely viewed and shared on a few groups on Facebook - but also needs more work on it

In response to the post in the CDC group, one woman said how her dogs were safe as she has a Honda CR-V, and had a tailgate guard inside the back that would protect her dogs. Roll over cages for cars are made from steel tube about the same size as scaffolding bars, so I'm sure that you can appreciate how weak some thin bars and wire would be in a rear impact.

These photos show; Crumple zones outside of the passenger safety zone, a hammock (which some people use along with harnesses), a tailgate guard, a CR-V following a rear shunt, and the Pet Ego Dog Bag.
    The hammock is secured under the bottom of the seat backs, so that the dog cannot fall down in the footwell.
    If I were buying today, then I would buy the Pet Ego Dog Bag and have it strapped on the back seat. No wires to crumple, and the material is soft to "absorb" on an impact.

Arrow Pet Ego Pet Tube

This is how my pair travel. I filmed this today after a long slow walk taking photos around a part of Weymouth. Hence Lexie looking even more calmer than usual