Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye removal.

Default Eye removal.

My lovely old Madge (picture in avatar) is going onto the main hospital Monday morning for one of her eyes to be removed.

Since she came to me nearly five years ago as a rescue from the PF with cherry eye (which was operated on straight away) and chronic eye ulcers it has been a daily battle with eye lubricants, antibiotic drops and a lot of TLC to have kept the eye for this long. For the past few weeks we just can't keep on top of it and with the deteriation of the eye and her quality of life being affected by the discomfort and soreness it is the only thing that we can do for her.
    Madge is over 12yrs old now and her heart is still good and clear with no murmur, she is a fit little Cavalier still loving her daily walks although only short ones now as the back legs are becoming a little wobbly and she still plays like a puppy so she is an amazing little dog.

I am very concerned that she might not come through the GA and this big op because of her age but I know I have to take her as she can't be left like this. Do older dogs bounce back well? do the risks get higher as dogs get older? is there anything that I can do for her pre-op to help her?
    I know many of you have had surgery with older Cavaliers and any tips and advice would be more than welcome.

Alison.

I hope all goes well Alison. If Madge has a good heart then I think she will bounce back. You are doing the right thing as she must be suffering with her poorly eye. I had a lump removed from a 12 year old bitch and she recovered very quickly.
    Sue

Will be thinking of you and Madge tomorrow Alison. My little charlie rescue had to have an op for a pyometra at 10 years old. She had an absolutely dreadful heart but she came through it fine. I'm sure Madge will be too. Big hugs xx
    Barbara

My thoughts are with you Alison. Heart conditions in older dogs are the main concern with a GA and as Madge has a good heart there shouldn't be a problem. A friend of ours had to have an eye removed on her Cavalier two or three years ago and he did have a bad heart. I think that he was about eight at the time and he came through it OK and is still around.
    Give Madge a big hug from me.
    Dennis

I know we can't help worrying but the vets do take care and check the dogs out beforehand and will watch for any signs of problems . To (hopefully) reassure you my Rowan aged well over 11 with a grade 6 murmur had to have a general anaesthetic to sort out an ulcer by his anal gland. He was quite dozy when we got him home, but to my horror they hadn't given him proper stitches and the wound opened up, so he had to go back the next day for another GA so that he could have the stitches done as they should have been... and I half expected this to be the death of him. However he was absolutely fine after his double dose - just very befuddled and sleepy until it wore off, and I was in a far worse state than he was!!

Rosemary

Hope all goes well on Monday, Alison. Let us know.
    Last edited by Madam Grump; 07-13-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    Sheena Stevens

I wrote recently about Raziela, born in September 2000, who had an ulcer on her eye that didn't heal. She DID go to a veterinary ophthalmologist, as she does have a heart murmur and is on Enacard. Her top eyelid and nictitating membrane were stitched together under a GASEOUS anaesthetic (chosen because of her heart) and as the vet told me, she came round VERY well: read, she wanted to get out of her pen! Although the ulcer had healed, the scar was quite fragile and so the vet decided to stitch the lids together for another 15 days: another anaesthetic. Again she sailed through it. Although her eye is dirty looking because of the scar, it is looking better. Sounds paradoxical, but I am noticing the difference.

Hazel had to have an eye removed after an accident: she was, though, a lot younger; about 9. She sailed through it OK. The vet who did it said "Don't worry, she'll soon get used to monocular vision." and then got very embarrassed - I only have one eye....... one of his colleagues told me later that he'd mentioned this at a practice conference as he was worried he'd offended me. Well, no: rather the reverse!

What I will say, after these two experiences, is that the operation and after care of Hazel’s énucléation was rather less traumatic than Raziela’s eyelids being stitched together, which lasted in total over a month.

Hazel came home in the afternoon of her op with the lids stitched tightly together and required no treatment other than antibiotic tablets for a week: no drops, and an elizabethan collar for a couple of days as often the stitches itch. She did bump into things for a few days but quickly got used to it. I can’t remember if she had dissolving stitches or if they had to be taken out, but at her check up she was prancing round the surgery very happily. I did sometimes tease her: would go to her blind side and whisper her name, and she’d look all around for me, giving a little jump when she’d “found” me and then being VERY pleased with herself.

Jane

There have been many advances in GA and my understanding is that is much safer now than before. Since your dog has a good heart, I would think she has an excellent chance of bouncing back nicely from the surgery. Good luck to you and Madge!

Home safe and sound within the 24hrs Amazing.

Sleepy but relaxed, just pottering slowly. Straight out for a wee in the garden when we got home! Also had the removal of two rear molars with cracked roots. Have stocked up with some nice fresh fish from Asda for her, I think she will enjoy it gently flaked apart once poached SO relieved. You can only look on in wonder at her. Well done Madge x

Alison.

That's good to hear; a great relief to you, I think!!!

Jane